The phone that makes your everyday epic. Buy the Samsung Galaxy S21 FE 5G now!
Help for account, billing & more
ybasha's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Fri, Jul 28, 2017 9:37 PM

AT&T Bait and switch tactics

It seems I never learn my lesson of not to call AT&T customer care at all, and so here I come again.

During several calls with customer care regarding an HBO promo which for some reason, they did not want to apply on my account, I was told that it would be cheaper for me to switch my wireless plan from Unlimited to the Unlimited Plus that comes with free HBO. So, on Monday 7/24/17, I called customer care to do the switch. My previous plan was as follows:

$220.00 for 4 lines. Then I get credit of $40 for the 4th line, so the total goes down to $180.00 and I get an extra FAN (corporate discount) of $13.20 which takes my total down to $166.80

The new plan was supposed to be as follows as detailed to me in the call with the customer care:

$195.00 for 4 lines and I get an extra FAN discount of $25.30 which brings my total to $169.70. That seemed to me as a pretty good deal having in mind that I won’t have to pay for HBO anymore.

Well, it seems AT&T disagree with that. I got my bill on 7/28/17 and it was missing the FAN discount. So, I call the customer care line and I talk to a helpful agent by the name of Ernest. After looking at my account for a little, he comes back saying that the FAN discount cannot be applied for this plan, since it is already a good deal. I explain to him that I only switched after I was told by the agent on 7/24/17 that my total after my switch is going to be $169.70 which did include the discount. But he insisted that the discount cannot be applied. So, I say “then they should not have told me that” and went ahead and requested that my plan gets switched back to what it used to be. Now he comes back saying that my previous plan was grandfathered and I cannot go back to it. The problem is that I only switched because they told me it was cheaper and gave me a total that included the discount and now they want to penalize me by saying that, I cannot go back to my original plan.

What is the deal with these AT&T tricks?

Another problem is that my previous bill was due at 7/20/2017, why would my new bill be due in 23 days from that bill (8/13/2017)?

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

4 y ago

@ybasha The billing date is interesting. Did it change the date range of your cycle?

Call 611 and ask for customer loyalty and ask for your old plan back, I think they can still get it for you. I thought you were supposed to have 60 days. Ask nicely, they aren't the ones who mucked up your account, but they are the ones who can likely fix it.

ACE - Sage

• 

91.9K Messages

4 y ago

Why the heck when FAN discounts are not allowed, are reps repeatedly saying they are?  The discount % would not change either.  Someone needs to read the riot act with the call centers. 😠

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

55.3K Messages

4 y ago

@lizdance40 I agree and we've seen enough complaints of that here to suspect it is widespread and not just an isolated incident. I suspect the culprit is ATT's pricing systems. If a rep prices out a plan and the system says the discount applies, what else would you expect them to do. @ybasha It is not bait and switch. The only discount available on the Unlimited Plus plan is the military discount. This is clearly stated on ATT's website. That does not excuse you being told wrong, that is unforgivable. You should be able to get your old plan back. Try reaching out to @ATTMobilityCare via private message.

David606

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

4 y ago

No one ever asks about it so no one ever mentions it because...no one asks. It kind of is a two way street and assumption that it does apply leads to it not being brought up.

ACE - Sage

• 

91.9K Messages

4 y ago

@David606. But they do ask, and are told wrong.

@sandblaster.  Exactly.  

We have seen people post screen shots that show a plan change to unlimited, WITH a FAN discount applied.  In most cases a larger discount than they had before.  So something is very wrong.  With the reps training and with the computer system.  

As an employee, if I were told "no FAN discounts" and one pops up, I better have the sense God gave chickens to double check and alert someone.  

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.