Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 3/31. See all protection plans.

• 

4 Messages

Fri, Jan 24, 2020 11:08 PM

ATnT poor customer service with returns

I have returned an iPhone 11 Pro Max (ATnT contract phone) right after getting a better deal from Verizon. I got the phone through Walmart and I have successfully retuned it to Walmart. I have the confirmation receipt too. However, on my actually ATnT account, I was charged for the whole phone cost and when I opened a case regarding this issue no service rep helped me with accurate information. Actually one rep guided me in the wrong path and told me not to pay the due amount for the phone which resulted in suspension of services( this one was on a recorded line). This affected other active members on the family account. I walked-in to the store like 10 times and no person was able to help me too. The case I have opened was closed in just one day without any information to the customer and ATnT claims that the phone wasn’t returned at all. I’m super frustrated about this. I personally feel ATnT is having poor customer service and support as I have tried to reach them numerous times and they end up giving the same response. rep guys from ATnT suggested me to go to Walmart as ATnT is not responsible for any return through a third party. I did a through research with Walmart and figured out that the phone was returned form their end too. Underlining point here is why ATnT is doing business with Walmart when ATnT claims no responsibility over device payments or returns with Walmart. On more thing to add... the hold time for 20 calls I have made so far with ATnT customer service desk was close to 30 mins for each call. At times the customer rep guys also hung upon my calls after putting me on hold for ages. Thanks for the best service and support team ATnT. Kudos!!!

Responses

Transponder

ACE - Scholar

• 

353 Messages

4 weeks ago

No sure what's going on but maybe you bought a contract phone and didn't keep it long enough to meet the contract requirements and that triggered an early termination fee. I would suggest going to an ATT store with your receipt and ask to speak to a manager. Explain politely what has happened and try to remain cool and collected and ask how you can get this situation resolved.

(edited)

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

34.4K Messages

Not possible to buy a 2 year contract phone at Walmart. ATT does not do 2 year contracts for phones except when offered by loyalty. Even if that were true, you still have 14 days to return.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Transponder

ACE - Scholar

• 

353 Messages

I don't think he mentioned a 2-year contract. I think he just said an ATT contract phone. And he didn't say how long he kept the ATT phone. He said he returned it after finding a better deal with Verizon. My guess is he got the phone cheap with the stipulation of adding a new line of ATT service, which he cancelled after 14 days but not before the 30 or 90 day Walmart return window. Seems like it must be something obvious since he went to the ATT store 10 times and was refused and also called 20 times to customer service with no one able to help him.

It's hard to believe that not one of those 30 ATT contacts could not help him. There has to be a reason.

(edited)

• 

4 Messages

hi @Transponder, yes it a 2 year contact phone and I have returned the phone within 14-day window period. Also, I now got a return confirmation reciept from Walmart and ATnT doesn’t understand this concern.

• 

4 Messages

Hi @sandblaster,ATnT does contract phones through Walmart and Costco.

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

34.4K Messages

@sontenam The term “contract phone” is misleading. “Contract phone” typically means 2 year service contract. ATT does not do 2 year service contracts anymore and haven’t for several years except when offered by customer retention. A phone bought on an installment plan does not obligate you to a two year service contract. The only obligation is to pay off the phone.

@Transponder You mentioned the possibility of an early termination fee. That is only charged if a 2 year service contract is broken. The only other type of “contract” phone is one bought on an installment plan. The only obligation on an installment plan is to pay off the phone. There would not be an early termination fee.

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

34.4K Messages

4 weeks ago

File an FCC or BBB complaint to escalate to corporate.

• 

4 Messages

I am actually trying to do that.. thanks @sandblaster