For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
R

• 

5 Messages

Saturday, May 23rd, 2020 1:17 AM

Astronomical bill sent to collections and ruined my credit

I had been an Att customer since 1998 and I had no complaint. They gave me great customer service, their products were top notch and I hd reception in places where others didn't. Everything was fine and my plan from 2000 was grandfathered through giving me with a unlimited family plan for a great price. Things took a dramatic turn for the worse starting June of 2016.
I had just moved into a new place and needed internet and cable. The sales person from Direct TV told me that I did not qualify for the current promotion at the time because of my old cellular plan. They said that my family plan had to be changed to a newer plan in order to get the reasonable all inclusive bundle for the cable , internet and my phone. The other option was 100$ more a month and didn't offer the same channels or options.
Regardless of my long standing loyalty, they made me change to a new plan that was unlimited so that i qualified for bundle with internet and cable priced around 380$ a month (ridiculous but not terrible). Things got hairy when I didn't receive the equipment for the apartment. They told me that bc of the exposure of the building, they could not install a dish (it wouldn't connect to the satellite). Since I didn't/ couldn't have direct TV, the package and promotion I changed too wasn't awarded and my phone plan became a 5 gb plan. So basically I was dooped out of my old plan for services I never received and they never fixed or notified me of the limited data plan resulting from their failure to install a dish.
With no internet, I wasn't aware of the amount of gb my phone used when I was online. I work from home and use my internet all day. Came the end of July and my bill arrived.

For their inability to setup my cable and the resulting lose of plans, I was charged 15$ per megabyte and my bill was 780$! I called and voiced my anger for being corused into changing my long standing plan bc of their salesmans advice which ended up being poor advice but nothing was fixed nor any apology given. By the time I got my July bill, I was midway through August and after choking up 800$, I found my August bill was over 900$!

No one offered to fix this mistake and or credit me back for the inconvenience that I was mislead into. As a customer for 20 years, they didn't even offer to return my plan to the prior one.
In fact, I believe they were trying to get me off my unlimited old plan because they were not making money off of me like they were other clients.

How didn't they know the complex I moved in wouldnt work before suggesting the stupid bundle?. Ita im Denver and they aren't new to the area.

Regardless, I didnt drop them bc i am loyal and thought maybe the new plan would work out after the July and August bombs.They had moved me onto the unlimited plan finally but never gave me any of the 1700 they overcharged me back. Very deceptive and definitely not unlimited bc I couldn't get a dish.
In 2017, July, a sales person sold me a new iPhone 10 on the buy one and get one free promotion. I also got 2 smart watches with them but despite the deal I was offered, I still was charged for both of the phones instead of just 1. Atts sales person made a mistake or just said whatever to get a sale and commission. My new phone later was stolen and I had to get another, my wife hated the iPhone and I bought two galaxys on a buy one get one. They took the trade in on the old device yet forgot to remove the lines from my account.

Again, I moved into a new place and thought maybe they will show up this time to install the cable and internet. Wrong, not only didn't they come, they charged me for 5 months of service and modems that I never even saw. They charged me termination fees, failure for non payment and sent it to collections. I didnt know bc they never emailed me or called and they sent the bills to my old address.

It took 3 months of disputes and arguing with them (hours on the phone explaining amd being called liar, hind up on and more). I finally had enough and my phone bill came in April of 2019. 800$ again.! They had 9 lines on my account 5 of which I didn't even set up. Along with those charges were 9 deactivation and termination. Fees. I paid them 800$ and terminated my services for good. They said that we were finished and I could not worry about future problems.

Wrong again. Two weeks later I recieved another bill for 500$, followed 4 days later with a second bill for 800 and then 3 weeks later they sent me a bill for 3800!. I have disputed this, provided bills and payment proof but everytime it is removed from my credit report, they place it on back on with a different company to collect. I've filed reports with the FCC and shown their discrepancies. They even had admitted that they changed and added additional lines to someone who walked in and said they were authorized on my account. I didn't know the person and despite the clear identity theft, they wouldn't adjust their mistakes and still want to collect on 9 lines.

I only had 3 devices, my wife's 2 phones (1 not even in use) and my phone. They even were paid 1400$ to terminate the lines and pay off the remaining balances on the devices but then obviously forgot or didn't note the conversations and agreement.

Its been a nightmare

Attnt has been destroying my financial life and credit. I can't buy my daughter a car and my own car is about to break down. I work paycheck to paycheck now and it is the most hopeless feeling I've ever had. Its been 3 years of pleading and begging yet nothing has changed. It finally dropped of my report last August but they just sold the dept to another collection company who harass me daily and now they won't settle for anything less then 3400. What can I do?

• 

194 Messages

4 years ago

Why wouldn’t you be responsible for data charges you actually used?

I understand that you were robbed of your grandfathered plan (it seems to happen to everyone sooner or later), but you should know what plan you are actually on and how much data you are using. It is easy to check these if you are unsure.

• 

5 Messages

well if your told they are putting you on a bundled deal with unlimited data when you get internet and cable installed, they should warn you that if they can't install the dish, then the promotion is void and they put you on a limited plan. They should atleast have put me back on the old plan the changed me from for that purpose. And yes, people do loose their old plans but usually to a plan similar or to their knowing. Not to one hidden between fine print. As for checking on my plan, well since it took them a little delayed time to reflect the limited plan on my line. The new promoted planed I signed up for and changed too was the plan that was listed on my att. So if I'm told I have unlimited, then why should I be responsible for any amount of data. Yes, if I chose a 5gb plan and then ran up 50 gas of data over them im an idiot; however, if I am pay and switch (especially since they asked me too change from my older but better unlimited plan) to a bundled deal with a new plan, then they should honor the services they sold even if they couldn't get a dish on the roof. Otherwise sell the product as a 5gb plan with cable and internet. Any other way is deceptive

(edited)

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

4 years ago

This is a ridiculous list of errors that you are 90% at fault. If you move into a " building", a satellite dish is usually not an option, especially with no southern exposure. You can only install a dish on property you own, not common property.

The 2016 unlimited plan Required TV service from AT&T. You should have selected U-verse not DirecTV.
When all that fell through, you still had other plan options. The 5 gig plan was not the only other plan that AT&T had available at the time. You allowed overage charges due to your own neglect to ask for a different plan with more data.
As you said AT&T no longer owns the debt. They can't help you.
Can't unring this bell.
Ignoring problems makes them bigger, not go away.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.