Our Community Forum will be shutting down on June 27, 2024. Please visit att.com/support for all your support needs.
Need help understanding your bill?
Scamiphone's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Sunday, October 15th, 2017 12:44 AM

Closed

Another Day Another AT&T Scam!

The IPhone 7 that I’m paying $887 for from AT&T for my 9 year old son had his service turned off again today October 14th for the fourth day in a row. For the previous last 4 days my son has complained about no service for his brand new iPhones 7. Each day I call customer service and complain and waste an hour of time explaining that my sons iPhone they are charging me $887 for keeps getting turned off with no service. Yet I still have to pay my bill. Today it took an esculation to “ technical service support” by Ryan C. Yesterday is Was Scott. I wonder who will have to turn on my service tomorrow after a another hour of wasted time an no service. AT&T should be fined and cited by the government for poor service, false advertising, harassment, bait and switch. Make sure you video tape or get your salesperson to put everything in writing before you agree to purchase anything. I’ve been a customer for 10 years and spent thousands of dollars on upgrades, new phones, equipment and services. They could care less about your customer loyalty. All they care about is getting paid and scamming a 9 year old son and his father out of thousands of dollars. If you hear the words “ ghost line” or buy one get one free turn on your phone and record every detail or getting it in writing or the same could happen to you. 

ACE - Sage

• 

118.3K Messages

7 years ago

This is not normal and not a scam.  Something is obviously wrong.  

Is the phone on your family account?

Why is it being shut off?

Im thinking someone reported a phone lost or stolen and is putting the wrong IMEI in the system.  If that’s the case, you need someone to fix that.  It may be they need to replace the phone to resolve it.

So put your anger on simmer and find out WHY this is happening.  

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

7 years ago

Obviously you did not read the details of this post. This is the fourth day in a row and it’s only happening because a greedy salesperson at AT&T tried to sell me 4 lines when I only needed 3. I’ve been an AT&T customer for 10 years. I’ve never heard a salesperson refer to a “ghost line” and “waiting two billing cycles before canceling a line that doesn’t exist to get a free phone”! Have you???? Obviously AT&T did because not only did their Customer Loyalty Representative “Michael Rodriquez” agree to credit the phone charges but he switch a iPhone 7 from a “ghost line” to my sons line! Do you think that occurred by coincidence? Now all of sudden I’m being charged early termination fees and getting no service on a brand new iPhone 7 that has the current software updates from Apple and works ever time I take an hour of my day to call and get it fixed. Instead of telling me to simmer down, why don’t you ask yourself what would you do if this happen to you and your family member? Better yet imagine it’s your child and you cannot get a hold of him because your being harassed and lied to by a service provider that your paying $1,000’s of dollars too?!

ACE - Sage

• 

118.3K Messages

7 years ago

You didn’t explain in your first post and while I want my kids to think otherwise, I’m not psychic.  

The scam is on ATT. This is an attempt to game the system for a free phone rather than pay for the upgrade.  

Call ATT and ask for Advanced Tech Support.  

Your options to fix the problem... 

1.  Keep the new line and put the phone on it and cancel the line with no phone.  This should mean you get the credits to make the phone discounted.  If the line wasn’t added legitimately, it may not work anyway.

2.   Or keep the old number and pay for the phone.   

This “setting up a temporary line” is not legit and shouldn’t have been done.  Promotions can’t be substituted or tricked.  The computer checks and balances will root out fraudulent activity.  The fault is NOT with ATT.   It’s with whoever tried to pull off this stunt.

The last time the non US call center rep set it up as a tablet line at $10.  That failed and got the account holder accused of fraud.     

If it sounded sketchy, it was.  Red flags.  Should have walked away.  

ACE - Sage

• 

118.3K Messages

7 years ago

BTW you are NOT being billed an ETF.  You are being billed the balance of the phone in lump sum because you canceled the line it was purchased on.  

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

7 years ago

That’s where you are completely wrong! The iPhone 7 which was purchased and was put on a new phone line a “ghost line”, a number ending in 3305. After two billing cycles or two months, I did exactly what I was instructed to do by the salesperson. Cancel the “ghost line”. AT&T charged me an ETF and the cost of the phone. Then the so called “customer loyalty department and Michael Rodriquez” said he could see what the shady salesperson did at the store. Michael Rodriquez from customer service said he had escalated the situation to his department manager and his manager approved a full credit of the IPhone. Instead they canceled the 3305 # and switched the iPhone ETF fees and cost of phone to my sons line! If you cannot see that was fraud on both ends of AT&T than either you are biased or blind. I can guarantee this is not the first time this has been sold or promised to customer because Michael Rodriquez knew exactly what had taken place. Plus, who gave him the authority to transfer a iPhone 7 from a number that does not have service to a completely established line without the a approval of the customer? In addition, instead of sending customer service surveys to me, the adult and main name on the account, what does AT&T do? They send it to my 9 year old son. How shady is that? Luckily my son is smart enough to have shown me the text and I replied to customer service. Bottom line, this was a scam from day one and NOT just 1 but 3 Customer Loyalty Representatives have promised to fix and waive the iPhone fee. That started back on 9/21/17 and has been promised by 2 other representatives since then. However, every time I ask for a text confirmation or email, I never receive one but told it’s been taken care of. All you have to do is look at my call record of complaints since June 2017 to today Oct. 14, 2017. AT&T should realize what ever other good company should know. Your clients are the most valuable assets. Not only do they account for most of your return business but they act as a referral system as well for new business. It’s harder to win a new customer than keep a loyal customer with 10 years of account payments and upgrades. Now they are willing to throw that all away because of greed. It doesn’t matter if it was a salesperson on the floor of retail store or a customer loyalty representative or a manager. They all represent the company just the same. If someone made a false claim or promotion to a customer with no record of incidents and 10 years of loyalty, they should do whatever it takes to fix the situation.

ACE - Sage

• 

118.3K Messages

7 years ago

So you knew this was an attempt to scam ATT out of a free phone from the start and did it any way?

And now ATT should overlook the attempt to scam them because your such a loyal customer?

Im not sure your in position to lecture on greed either.  

I feel bad your son is stuck in the middle.  There is a teachable moment.  Hope you find it.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

7 years ago

Your message Here is a teachable lesson for you! I did not ask for a new phone line when I walked into that AT&T store in June of 2017. However, when your approached by a sales representative and they offer you a free phone, you should assume they are scamming you??? That’s your advice?! I thought I was walking into a company in which I have spent thousands of dollars multiple times on services, phones, iPads, insurance and now I should be second guessing their sales people? The fault falls on the consumer now? Yet, after management and the customer loyalty representatives and their managers hear about it they agree you have been scammed as well. They tell you they will fix the problem but do not. Is the customer again at fault because they believed in the people put in charge to represent their company. That’s why I love companies like the BBB, Ohio Department of Commerce and FTC! All of which I have filled complaints with. If it wasn’t for these organizations and government agencies theses billion dollar companies would bleed you dry. It’s just sad that we live a world where greed is so rampant that consumers must go through these channels just to get justice. However, there is even a better just system out there, it’s called social media and the internet. Just so happens that I am a real time trader on all major ad exchanges, which allows me to purchase worldwide internet inventory at cost. So all those UDID’s and IDFA’s being run through the DIM system that I can target for $5 CPM will start receiving display ads that read AT&T Scam. Then they can read all about Ghost Line scams. I think I will start off with 50,000 impression behavioral targeted to people looking at phone carriers. Let’s see how well that works for a week then another 50,000 the following week. Or maybe some facility targeting that pops up on a persons mobile device when they walk into any store that offers AT&T as a carrier. People should know the truth before making a decision. Since most of us feel that they we should be able to believe what is being sold and promoted. I did not come up with the term ghost line but AT&T did. So who’s scamming whom?

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

7 years ago

wow crazy

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.