For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
Judihedgeallen's profile

Tutor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, April 12th, 2018 10:24 PM

Were customers notified in advance about the administrative fee?

Were customers notified in advance that there was a 65% increase in the administrative fee (to defray certain expenses ATT incurs) this month?

Mentor

• 

50 Messages

6 years ago

...Because the Administrative Fee is not part of the agreed cost; it is arbitrary, unsupported and not forthright. Put it this way, if you ordered a $4 burger from McD’s, you only pay sales tax in addition to the $4. Would you happily pay an additional Cashiers Charge, a Managers Fee, an Oil Reclamation Fee, a Plastic Straw Environmental Charge, etc., etc.? Honest pricing accounts for all those fees in the price of the goods or services sold. Adding all these fees in addition to the agreed upon price is misleading at best if not outright dishonest. And I understand that AT&T isn’t alone in such practices, but that doesn’t make it right, honest or fair. 

Mentor

• 

50 Messages

6 years ago

If I agree to mow your lawn for $50 per month, but later realize I’d like to make more money to cover the cost of gasoline to drive to your location, would you think it was fair if I charged you $70 instead? A business as big as AT&T plans expenditures and revenue very carefully... it’s not like this was some  unexpected and unforeseen expense for which they have no other recourse than to charge an additional fee to customers. Why should anyone be okay with this?

Mentor

• 

50 Messages

6 years ago

AT&T charging an additional fee due to unforeseen costs makes as much sense as me paying them less if I was sick and earned less income this month. 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

Yeah att planned for a hurricane to wipeout the whole infrastructure of PR and the US Virgin islands..  or for the the hit they took in southern Florida

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

6 years ago

You’re funny, @overwatch. What makes you think this increase was due to “unforeseen” costs or wasn’t part of the long-term planning AT&T does?

I agree that it would great if all taxes and fees were built into one charge per month. However, for whatever reason, that’s not the model telecommunications companies have chosen to take. 

Would you be any happier if AT&T had raised your base plan monthly charge by 50 cents instead?

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

6 years ago

@MicCheck wrote:

You’re funny, @overwatch. What makes you think this increase was due to “unforeseen” costs or wasn’t part of the long-term planning AT&T does?

I agree that it would great if all taxes and fees were built into one charge per month. However, for whatever reason, that’s not the model telecommunications companies have chosen to take. 

Would you be any happier if AT&T had raised your base plan monthly charge by 50 cents instead?

We should remind all those without a contract, that ATT could do that,  with notice of course.  

ATT hasn't been keeping pace.  The last to have HD voice and Wifi calling on every line.  Antiquated security.  And from what I can tell they are not expanding services within covered territories to compete.  I’m okay with the extra $2 a month off me if they DO something with it.  Otherwise it’s like increasing my property tax while the schools fail to pass “code” inspections and don’t have supplies.  (Oh yeah, already have that) 

Mentor

• 

50 Messages

6 years ago

What would you call someone that would argue that a company can basically bill you whatever they choose after you subscribe to a plan for a specific cost? Would you be fine receiving a bill for $3 for a single item from the $1 menu at McD’s? Or $300 for 100 items off that same $1 menu? Why are some people here making excuses for dishonest billing? Basically, AT&T, as well as Verizon, are in a duopoly and their bean counters figure nobody will care if they tack on an extra few dollars per subscriber line disguised as an “Administrative Fee”. It’s only $1.26 for now... and only $1.1 billion for them. How much extra do you think they can charge you before you care? If you buy a bag of chips at the grocery store and get overcharged, do you care? Do you care about all the other people getting overcharged? Would you argue in favor of that grocery store to overcharge all its customers? Obviously, anyone who would support such a scheme is either a shill for the business or a troll who argues for the fun of it. 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

Cable companies now charge regional sports fees and broadcast TV fees below the line.  Do I complain about the rsn fee sure I don't watch those channels.  It amazes me you keep compairing McDonald's or other stores to a cell or cable company.  Comparing apple to apples not oranges to apples 

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

6 years ago

figure nobody will care if they tack on an extra few dollars per subscriber line”

Exactly! 

If you care, then show AT&T by finding a provider you prefer. Arguing on an Internet forum isn’t going to change AT&T’s billing choices or change your bill. 

Mentor

• 

50 Messages

6 years ago

So cable tv companies that were established to provide commercial free tv content and now show you commercials, and actually make you pay for entire channels with nothing but commercials, and then still charge you outrageous fees on top of all that, is a better comparison with wireless companies than a business like McD's? Well, I'll give you that. So what's your point? That AT&T wireless is justified in charging an "Administrative Fee" because the cable companies overcharge their customers, too? (Here's another "apple's to apples" comparison...) That's like the Night Stalker saying, "Well, Charlie Manson did the same thing" as a defense.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.