For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
ashley00814's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, April 29th, 2015 7:24 AM

Add a service to my plan without my consent

Recently purchase a non-contract no mobile carrier cell phone to use on one of our lines in at&t mobile plan.

At&t just added a $30 3G data plan on that line without my consent and any notice.

Call At&t to try to remove the service and reimburse me.

Their answers: it's our policy to add data plan serivce on smartphone lines, but there is another cheaper data plan which is $20 for 300M.

I ask: 1. My previous cell phone is a non-contract no mobile carrier smartphone as well, without any data plan.

2. You guys have 2 options, how come you just add the most expensive plan on my line which I didn't authorize. 

3. I just want to remove the service which I never authorize!!!

Their answers: the system cannot do not.

Can I just cancel all At&t service and change to another carrier?

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

9 years ago

Yes, since you purchased a no contract phone, you have no contract and you can cancel without fee. Most of the other providers now have the same requirement that requires a data plan with a smartphone.

If you want a plan without data, the only way is to change to a gophone plan. Data plans are not required with smartphones on the gophone plan.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

The data plan is just one of the problems. Another problem is AT&T should notify their customers if they are going to add any feature on top of their plan. 

Att added the most expensive feature without cusomers' consent. The representitive should get better training as well. What did she mean by the systme can not do that? It's not a solution to a customer. 

Community Support

• 

15.2K Messages

9 years ago

Hi @ashley00814

I’m sorry to hear that you wish to cancel your AT&T service. I can confirm that because you have a smartphone, a data plan is required. Though I can't remove the plan, I can help you choose a different phone and plan with the perfect features and price for you. Prior to the 3GB DataPro being added, a warning text message is sent with the following content:

AT&T Free Msg: Your smartphone requires a data plan. A $30/month DataPro 3GB data plan will be added automatically if you continue to use a smartphone on this line. Learn more at att.com/dataplans.

For more information regarding this requirement, see Section 6.3 “What Are the Voice and Data Plan Requirements?” of the Wireless Customer Agreement.

If you would like to please send me a private message by Clicking Here and include the following information, we can work to find the best plan for you!

• Full name
  • Email address
  • Cell number

Thanks!

Charise

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

9 years ago

Actually, you did give your consent. It is in the wireless service agreement that nobody reads but everyone must agree to:

6.3   What Are The Voice And Data Plan Requirements?

A voice plan is required on all voice-capable Devices, unless specifically noted otherwise in the terms governing your plan.

An eligible tiered pricing data plan is required for certain Devices, including iPhones and other designated Smartphones. Eligible voice and tiered pricing data plans cover voice and data usage in the U.S. and do not cover International voice and data usage and charges. If it is determined that you are using a voice-capable Device without a voice plan, or that you are using an iPhone or designated Smartphone without an eligible voice and tiered data plan, AT&T reserves the right to switch you to the required plan or plans and bill you the appropriate monthly fees. In the case of the tiered data plan, you will be placed on the data plan which provides you with the greatest monthly data usage allowance. If you determine that you do not require that much data usage in a month, you may request a lower data tier at a lower monthly recurring fee.

Now if your previous phone was a smartphone and you did not get a data plan added you should consider yourself lucky because this policy of a smarphone requiring data has been in place for over 5 years. This policy is in effect whether you are under contract or not.

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

9 years ago

The 3GB for $30 is in the middle. There is also a 5GB for $50.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

Been There! Good luck! Been there: AT&T: Hello! How may we help you today? AT&T: We are currently experiencing very high chat volumes which may cause long delays. An agent will be with you as soon as possible. Johanna-S: Hello! My name is Johanna-S. How may I help you today? Me: Hi Johanna Me: I had cancelled Data a few months ago and I just realized it got put back in Me: except I never asked for it Me: AND I have been paying for it now for a few months, apparently, although I was unaware Johanna-S: Good afternoon. Sorry to know about that, no problem, I can definitely help you with your concern. In order for me to assist you further and make sure to provide the most accurate information to you. May I have your first and last name together with your mobile number? Me: YEs Me: Erika xxxxxxxxxxx Me: 619302xxxx Me: and I mean I must have cancelled it at least a year ago Me: as I moved to Mexico and gave the line to my parents who do not use data Johanna-S: Thank you for that information. Johanna-S: Please give me 2-3 minutes to further review your account and check for resolution. Me: thank you Johanna-S: You are so welcome! Johanna-S: I appreciate your patience, checking here, we cannot remove the data on your line as the line is using a smartphone and a data plan is required for all smartphone users Me: the phone is unlocked though Me: and I initially bought it at a 7-11 on a prepaid phone with no data Me: i simply gave it to my mother when her phone stopped working Me: also, I didn't get to choose this data plan. Me: Why was one chosen for me? Me: rather than being asked? Johanna-S: For the data plan, that is automatically being added to a line if no data is added and the data plan being added is based on the usage by the time it was added. Me: there was no usage Me: prior to being added Me: as my parents lines had no data Me: plan Me: so how exactly could this have been calculated? Johanna-S: The data is being assessed if there's a data connectivity being detected by the system, if they check emails, check any social medie websites and even online games, we can remove the data plan for the account if a line is using a basic phone, in that way, we can block data usage and you will not be required to add any data plan Me: ok I would like the charges reversed Me: this is ridiculous Me: they have no apps nothing running on this phone Me: that uses data Me: who can I speak to to get this reversed. Me: I never reconstituted a new agreement with you. Me: i'm not paying for a service I never agreed to. Me: I understand I'm sure somewhere in the small print there is a reference to smartphones and data plans but you can't simply choose one for me. Me: I'd have to sign this agreement and at THE VERY LEAST be informed of it. Johanna-S: I totally understand the frustration this may have caused. For the automatic adding of the data plan, you can see that on the wireless terms and agreement, for the charge, I understand that you want the charges to be reversed, however, we can only reverse up to the last 3 months of charge for the account Me: please do so and then cancel my plan.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Do not believe AT&Ts crap. Same thing happened to me, they added data to 2 lines I did not want them on. Just got 2 data plans removed from smart phone lines (which are not under contract). They switched it to data pay per use. Just disable cellular data on those phones. Have to be blunt and straightforward and do not back down. As you can see in my chat with a representative, the job was done.

AT&T : Hello! How may we help you today?  
  Alan : Hi data plans were added on two of my lines  
  Alan : would like them removed  
  Ma Anna : I am so sorry for your delay in reaching me and I appreciate your patience. I willl be happy to assist you.  
  Alan : AT&T added these features on their own without my permission  
  Ma Anna : Hello there! I understand that you wish to remove the data plans on your account. I can definitely help you with this.  
  Alan : I would like data plans removed on lines ***  
  Alan : no other lines  
  Ma Anna : Let me go ahead and check the current plan that you have on your account.  
  Ma Anna : Let me share that since these are already an expired plan, we can no longer put the data back once we have removed it from the line.  
  Ma Anna : If these lines will be using data, you will be charged for pay per use for the data used.  
  Ma Anna : Should I go ahead and remove this for you?  
  Alan : Yes those 2 lines do not use data therefore we do not data plans on ***  
  Alan : while keeping the same plan  
  Ma Anna : Alright.  
  Ma Anna : Please bear with me. I am processing the changes.  
  Ma Anna : I am still working on your account.  
  Alan : Ok thank you  
  Ma Anna : Thanks for staying with me on this chat.  
  Ma Anna : I'm sorry but the system won't allow me to complete the changes on your plan since you are using a smartphones for this lines it is required to have a data plan to the lines.  
  Ma Anna : No need to worry as we can just replaced it with a lower data plan.  
  Alan : Well these lines are not under contract therefore we are not required to have data  
  Alan : as we were told in the At&T store  
  Alan : and one phone is a pay as you go plan  
  Ma Anna : Yes, I understand that. But based on your current plan that you have for these lines and the phones that you are using these requires data plan. We can just replaced it to 300MB data plan instead of 3GBs so that it will cost you cheaper  
  Alan : We have never had issue with this for the past few months  
  Alan : all of a sudden data is required  
  Alan : if you can not help me with this request please forward me to your supervisor/manager/higher up  
  Alan : and we were told in store we did not have to have data  
  Alan : sorry to be so blunt and rude but this is ridiculous  
  Alan : and will be considering moving to another service  
  Alan : for a much cheape rplan  
  Ma Anna : I understand how frustrating it is to have a data plan when you are not actually using it, Alan.  
  Ma Anna : Let me go ahead and connect you over to my manager about this matter.  
  Ivy : Thank you for waiting. Please let me go over the previous conversation to further assist you.  
  Ivy : You want to remove the data plan on *** right?  
  Alan : Yes please  
  Ivy : I understand you'd like to have your data plan removed. Because you have a smartphone, a data plan is required. Though I can't remove the plan, I can help you choose a different phone and plan we can change to 300MB for $20 if you want to keep using the smartphone.  
  Alan : Well I suggest AT&T retrain all their retail employees as we were told in store these lines do not require a data plan even though they are smartphones  
  Alan : and will lose customers like me over the next year  
  Alan : becuase I know plenty of people without data on their smartphones  
  Alan : and if this happens to them  
  Alan : I will consider informing them of much cheaper plans offered by verizon sprint and tmobile  
  Alan : for better service and data plans  
  Alan : If you cannot help me with this request please forward me ot your highest superior  
  Alan : I do not believe what you are telling me as these lines have been like this for the past 6 months  
  Ivy : I know why you feel that way and I want to help you as much as I can but we cant remove the data plan on those line. If you want we will remove the data pro 3gb and it will be replaced by data per use. If those lines will access internet and if their cellular data is turned on automatically the system will re- add the data.  
  Ivy : Also picture messages can only be sent and receive if those lines will connec to WiFi.  
  Alan : data per use is perfectly fine  
  Alan : because I have already turned off cellular data on those phones  
  Alan : 6 months ago  
  Alan : and guarantee you my mother and step father have 0 knowledge of how to even get to that feature  
  Ivy : If that's the case we can definitely do that now.  
  Ivy : Thank you for waiting.  
  Ivy : I have successfully removed the data plans for the lines ***.  
  Ivy : Please log out and log back in and follow this steps:  
  Ivy : Please go to the OVERVIEW page and click on the I WANT TO drop down. Once there, click onMANAGE MY PLAN and then View my plan & features.  
  Alan : Looks good  
  Alan : Will I be credited for any expenses incurred since I did not add these plans  
  Alan : /use  
  Alan : if htere are any  
  Ivy : Yes you will definitely see a credit on your next month's bill for the data plan we have removed.  
  Alan : alright  
  Alan : thank you very much  
  Ivy : You are so welcome!

[Edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

8 years ago

@alantasdf

Are these lines on GoPhone plans or postpaid service?

If these are postpaid lines, at some point the IMEI May once again, register in the system and add a data plan.  

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

I had the same problem with AT&T today. I gave my dad my old iPhone 4 and he had been using it for 3 years without any problem until they email yesterday and added a $30 data plan to my account without my consent. I had report this to consumer affair and they told me to file a report on AT&T. They can not added anything to your account without you consent. I advice you guys out there that have the same problem as me to report to consumer affair about how company like AT&T trying to scam consumer like us. It's our phone, why do we have to pay for data when we don't even need the Internet. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

8 years ago

@Beetee323

http://www.att.com/legal/terms.wirelessCustomerAgreement.html#canAttChangeMyTermsRates

Ts is the customer agreement we all signed.  Read section 6.3

6.3 What Are The Voice And Data Plan Requirements?

A voice plan is required on all voice-capable Devices, unless specifically noted otherwise in the terms governing your plan.

An eligible tiered pricing data plan is required for certain Devices, including iPhones and other designated Smartphones. Eligible voice and tiered pricing data plans cover voice and data usage in the U.S. and do not cover International voice and data usage and charges. If it is determined that you are using a voice-capable Device without a voice plan, or that you are using an iPhone or designated Smartphone without an eligible voice and tiered data plan, AT&T reserves the right to switch you to the required plan or plans and bill you the appropriate monthly fees. In the case of the tiered data plan, you will be placed on the data plan which provides you with the greatest monthly data usage allowance. If you determine that you do not require that much data usage in a month, you may request a lower data tier at a lower monthly recurring fee.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.