Help for account, billing & more
SharMonte's profile

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

Thu, Jul 11, 2019 12:56 AM

Activation fee charged to FAN account-Asked to pay first, wait 2 bill cycles to get money back

Hi,

I had a long session with ATT support to correct the activation fee charge on my account (FAN) where it should not have been.

However, they refused to apply the corresponding credit and asked me to pay the bill (that includes activation fee) first and then wait for 2 billing cycles to get the credit for it.

It is totally against the nature of "discount" to ask the customer too pay first and refund a certain amount later. I believe it's called a "rebate program".

Do you have any suggestions for me to avoid paying that $30?

Thank you!

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

3 y ago

@SharMonte  Call again and ask someone else. If they can see it in the FAN, I'd think they'd do it immediately. 

State the conversation with: "Can you see if my FAN discount waives activation fees?" then when they say "yes," ask for the refund.

ACE - Sage

• 

92.2K Messages

3 y ago

$30 sounds like an upgrade fee, not activation ($45).  If you did not automatically get a credit, it may not be a valid request.  Whoever you spoke with probably cant apply the credit, but didn’t want to be rude and say ‘no’ or hang up.  

I think @Gary L has the correct approach.  

If this is a new account, any discount and waived fees will have to be verified and you will have to wait 2 to 3 bills.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

3 y ago

Thank you for the answers and suggestions.

Contacted AT&T again, went with your script above; asked the agent to confirm the FAN, and asked to remove or credit the activation fee charged.

The agent informed me that credit would be applied automatically by the system after 1 billing cycle hence they could not apply credit manually. I did not want to spend as much time as I did for the first contact and asked what they would be able to do to help me on this. To my surprise, the agent offered to extend my current bill to next month (due in a few days), at least to give me some time and see if the credit would be applied meanwhile. I wonder why the first agent I asked for help did not offer such a solution instead of wasting so much time.

On the other hand, during my first support request session, I came to a point that I asked for the supervisor, I started the conversation with the supervisor and even he was not able to apply the credit. I questioned the "discoount, waiver" versus "credit in 2 billing cycles" and confirmed that they were receiving such complaints frequently. I asked for an escalation to the next level, and there was no next level; I was advised to contact the Loyalty Team for further help. Finally, giving up on the hopes of finding a solution, I asked the supervisor to submit an internal request for this case (activation fee being charged to the FAN) and ended the long conversation.

Thank you for the replies and for your time.

ACE - Sage

• 

92.2K Messages

3 y ago

@SharMonte 

Noooooooo!   Do not pay late or short.  I don’t care what notes they say they applied, this FAILS.  It would void any promotions and could result in suspension.  

I just received a credit on the bill that has already been produced for my home Internet and TV service of $30. The person over the phone told me I could pay my bill $30 short this month the credit would appear on next months bill. No freaking way! You pay the bill as it is produced you get the credits next month. I have seen far too many posts were people paid short and it screwed up absolutely everything. Don’t do it!!!

ACE - Sage

• 

92.2K Messages

3 y ago

I cannot stress enough  (Apparently 😂).   Until your discount has been verified and kicks in and your FAN approved you will not get those credits.   What if it takes a whole Other bill cycle?   

Nope.  Don’t risk it.

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.