Uniquely for you. Preorder the new Google Pixel 6.
kenneththomasjr's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wed, Sep 26, 2018 1:42 AM

Account Mixup

As a current AT&T customer, earlier this week I walked into an AT&T store to order a new device (Apple Watch). When the representative took my information and ran a credit check they notified me that I had a DirecTV account in collections that have a past due amount. At that time I verbally stated that I have never had a DirecTV account or DirecTV service of any sort.

The representative in the store made me aware of the name associated with the account, the account number, the telephone number, and the address. Although the name and address (which was a previous address) on the account appeared to match up with me, the social security's last four and telephone numbers were different. This let me know that this other account belonged to a family member that has a similar name as me and currently lives at my previous address. When I spoke to a representative over the phone it was immediately discovered that the Social Security Number on file for the DirecTV account was different than my actual Social Security Number proving that the DirecTV account did not have anything to do with me. Keep in mind that AT&T and DirecTV have been one company for a few years now and there has been no DirecTV information listed on any of my previous AT&T billing statements.

After discovering this, the AT&T or DirecTV customer service reps didn't know how to handle the issue of disassociating the erratic account from my actual account and left me in an endless transfer cycle (everytime that I call) and the issue never gets resolved.

I eventually gave up after hours of calls so I filed a report with the Better Business Bureau. Is there anyone else I can reach that would know how to handle this?

MicCheck

ACE - Expert

• 

10.3K Messages

3 y ago

@kenneththomasjr wrote:

As a current AT&T customer, earlier this week I walked into an AT&T store to order a new device (Apple Watch). When the representative took my information and ran a credit check they notified me that I had a DirecTV account in collections that have a past due amount. At that time I verbally stated that I have never had a DirecTV account or DirecTV service of any sort.

The representative in the store made me aware of the name associated with the account, the account number, the telephone number, and the address. Although the name and address (which was a previous address) on the account appeared to match up with me, the social security's last four and telephone numbers were different. This let me know that this other account belonged to a family member that has a similar name as me and currently lives at my previous address. When I spoke to a representative over the phone it was immediately discovered that the Social Security Number on file for the DirecTV account was different than my actual Social Security Number proving that the DirecTV account did not have anything to do with me. Keep in mind that AT&T and DirecTV have been one company for a few years now and there has been no DirecTV information listed on any of my previous AT&T billing statements.

After discovering this, the AT&T or DirecTV customer service reps didn't know how to handle the issue of disassociating the erratic account from my actual account and left me in an endless transfer cycle (everytime that I call) and the issue never gets resolved.

I eventually gave up after hours of calls so I filed a report with the Better Business Bureau. Is there anyone else I can reach that would know how to handle this?

No, the BBB was the best route to take. This isn't a normal situation, so you need to be escalated to someone who is able to resolved unusual situations. The BBB will put you in touch with such a person. 

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.