Need help understanding your bill?
alfstg's profile

2 Messages

Tuesday, November 28th, 2023 4:35 PM

A received a 4k dollars bill from AT&T

Two months ago I got a new phone and plan from AT&T in one of their COSTCO retailers.

Of course they put me in the unlimited premium plan, but they advised me to call in two weeks to change to the starter plan.

When I called I asked and asked for the cheaper plan, instead of changing me to the starter, they put me on this obscure plan that is not being sold any more or it's not even promoted on their page that charges 2 dollars per megabyte (of course I didn't get that information back then, it is now that I received the bill I am realizing that happened).

Luckily, I had a problem with the new phone (unrelated, but long story short I changed the iphone 15 for the iphone 15 pro and had problems activating the 15 pro) so I visited a physical retailer who fixed it. The retail employee also noticed I was on that obscure plan and moved me to the AT&T value plus, which works as well for me as the starter. I didn't have any further details that day.

The problem is that during that time I was in that obscure plan, I consumed 1950 megabytes. Which means 4000 dollars, see bill at the bottom.

I spoke with the COSTCO AT&T hotline which, needless to say, weren't able to provide an explanation, not even say solve my issue. They escalated the problem and I should receive a call from them today.

I will also be visiting the retailer today to see if they can get this fixed.

I also preventively started a case with ARAG legal, just in case I need to fight this more than what I should.

My intention with this post is receiving some encouraging words from your side and see if someone has faced something similar.

I would also like to receive some advice on how would you fight this issue and what do you recommend me to do.

Thank you so much for any tip.

Accepted Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

116K Messages

3 months ago

Don't bother with the retailer. They cannot fix this.

File a better Business bureau complaint online. Is a simple form and the form complaint is forwarded back to AT&T upper management. Someone in upper management will review your information and correct the bill.

By the way you can change plans all by yourself online. You could have changed from the premium to the starter plan all by yourself in just a couple of minutes by logging into your account.

You should be checking your bill every month to make sure it's correct.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.8K Messages

3 months ago

As you probably know, the retailer at Costco is an independent, totally separate for AT&T and is not staffed with AT&T employees. It is not uncommon for them to make "mistakes" in order to complete a sale. However, it appears that AT&T made a mistake as well. Possibly a plan coding issue but it's hard to tell.

I would gather all of  your documentation and file a complaint with the BBB. That gets forwarded directly to AT&T Corporate who will assign it to a Senior Manager in the Office of the President. He/she will contact you and you can discuss the matter directly with someone who has the resources and authority to deal with issues like this.

As far as any l.e.g.a.l recourse, you are bound to Binding Arbitration when you agreed to AT&T services, and possibly small claims. All carriers do that.

ACE - Expert

• 

14K Messages

3 months ago

That's so random. You're being billed for the Value Plus plan, which is still offered, but includes unlimited data. I haven't the foggiest how they also managed to charge data PPU. Bizarre.

I 3rd the motion to file a BBB complaint. You need to get this escalate far higher than anyone you can talk to on the phone if this is going to get resolved.

2 Messages

3 months ago

Thank you @formerlyknownas, @OttoPylot ,@MicCheck.

I did subbmitted the complaint to the BBB, but also went to the retailer just in case.

They applied a 3900 dollars credit for that bill which lets it in 4000-3900=100 bucks.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.5K Messages

3 months ago

👍

ACE - Master

• 

10K Messages

3 months ago

I’m amazed that in this day and age a $2 per megabyte plan even exists.  Also a plan with limited minutes, and pay per text?!  What year is this, 2003?

ACE - Sage

• 

116K Messages

3 months ago

I'd like to know what knucklehead applied this plan . Whoever they are they need to be put back on remedial training 🤡

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.