Available Now: Buy the new iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max from AT&T!
Help for account, billing & more
saratgee's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Sat, Jun 1, 2019 2:01 AM

$4 per min for accidental international voice call with ACTIVE BLOCK on int dialing! unfair, ripoff!

Billing period: Mar 15 - Apr 14; International long distance $92.00 for 23 minutes

Which means, AT&T charged $4 per minute for an accidental international call. This is a total rip off and mere manipulation. Smiley Frustrated

Ironic is that the above overage was charged even when I had explicitly asked to put a block on outgoing international call. Many months ago, I had a couple of international texts they charged a lot so called them and they said I can place that block. How did my calls take place when international voice calls shouldn't even have happened! Smiley Frustrated

My calls to customer service landed on a very unfriendly agent who knows nothing how I should even be billed. Asked for her supervisor and then another rude manager came online and didn't do anything to resolve by waiving that fee. They both admitted I had an active international call block but rudely.

I gave an attempt to give AT&T to remedy this but apparently they seem to allow and promote this unfair trade practice. Any advise on the best course .. BBB or legal.. even in today's world of digital revolution AT&T charges $4 per minute on voice call for an international call which shouldn't have completed in the first place with customer opted for a block. Its a clear unfair trade practice.

- Sarat

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

16.1K Messages

3年前

@saratgee wrote:

Billing period: Mar 15 - Apr 14; International long distance $92.00 for 23 minutes

Which means, AT&T charged $4 per minute for an accidental international call. This is a total rip off 

It doesn't matter what it costs, it's the published cost and from your post it seems like you'd know that (from your past texting issues).

and mere manipulation.

Please explain how it's manipulation?

Ironic is that the above overage was charged even when I had explicitly asked to put a block on outgoing international call.

You buried the lead, this should be the subject line of your post!

The cost per minute is irrelevant, so is your opinion of the cost and that you feel it's somehow "manipulation".

Any advise on the best course .. BBB or legal.. even in today's world of digital revolution AT&T charges $4 per minute on voice call for an international call which shouldn't have completed in the first place with customer opted for a block. Its a clear unfair trade practice.

Call back again and ask for customer loyalty and see what they say and report back.

If you can get someone to confirm you have the international call blocking on in a chat, even better (post that!).

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

3年前

Those are simple facts, its a community forum so let people read it and build an opinion. I don't know community forum guidelines here but rather 'd let AT&T see it, choose right course all in public eye. I called their customer service and explained how 've been a loyal customer and didn't deserve but the agent and her supervisor hardly cared. They should have paid attention to what I told them, easy to see my intent, 0 minute international usage for almost all months in past history! 

The subject line I chose indeed speaks for manipulation. Such a pricey per minute charge is sneaky and you are just waiting for customers to make a small honest mistake and charge heavily? Any moral ground here, see see it fair?

Like I said earlier, just never wanted to use their Intl plans so asked to block it and the purpose was mainly to eliminate the risk of myself accidentally dialing an intl call, outside WiFi enabled apps that I usually use. 

manipulative:

characterized by unscrupulous control of a situation or person

Finally, I gave them a chance already so not calling again on this issue! I offered them to just waive those overages and I was ready to ignore and consider it as an operational mistake. They chose not to! Its redundant to ask for "customer loyalty line".. its implicit as I tried to ask for supervisor.. my argument was more of a technical aspect, what company thinks feature like "Block of international calling" should do and what customers could easily mistake it as! Remember we customers don't have the luxury but they have all conversations digitally at their disposal why not check them out and let me know what they think of that?

sorry for the verbosity!

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

16.1K Messages

3年前

@saratgee  But my point is you took your problem off topic and as a result, 2/3 of my response didn't address your issue that needs to be fixed.

As a result, more than 90% of your response was not about your issue (that you blocked international and yes somehow were still charged for this).

I don't think the pricing is sneaky, it's expensive and you knew it, so that's why you blocked it.

People post here asking about calling Hawaii being included, I'd hope people would think before calling another country.

That said, Skype rules for international calling IMHO.

See there we go again, talking around the edges...

ACE - Sage

• 

100.1K Messages

3年前

@saratgee  when you signed up for the community, you agreed to follow community guidelines.  If you agreed without reading them, one has to wonder what else you did not read.

It has been noted that the international long distance pay per use block does not work on WiFi calls.  I’m not sure why as WiFi calls are “just another way to connect to AT&T”. 

• 

3 Messages

2年前

This forum is an excellent example of how you lose customers. Not only the ridiculous overcharge but also the accusatory community responses. Good job ATT, you're going to lose another one.

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.