Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Need help understanding your bill?
L

• 

6 Messages

Tuesday, February 2nd, 2021 4:16 PM

$2,300 in Fraudulent Long Distances Charges

Can anyone please help me?  I discovered over $2,300 in outgoing call charges from US to Jamaica.  The phone is on my family plan and is used by my daughter who has an intellectual disability (special needs.)

Based upon review of logs, two incoming calls from Montego Bay to my daughter's phone occurred this past week.  The man was asking for money.  Then numerous outgoing calls over the next 5 days resulting in over $2,300 in pending charges. I'm lucky I caught it when I did!

I spent hours last night with customer support either on hold, getting transferred or getting disconnected. No one helped. No one cares.

Can anyone please advise?  It sickens me to think I will have to use her monthly SSI benefit to pay to the ATT monster. Even if this isn't fraudulent and she hit the call button over and over, she has an intellectual disability!  Do I have any options?

Thank you!

ACE - Expert

• 

27.9K Messages

3 years ago

It sounds like she made the calls.  I don't see why AT&T should or would forgive the amount.

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

3 years ago

If the calls were actually made, and it sounds like they were, you are pretty much at ATT’s mercy. I would suggest escalating to corporate by filing an FCC or BBB complaint. You will be contacted by someone from corporate. Once you explain your situation, there is a good chance they will provide some relief. If the charges are only showing on your account but have not been billed yet, they may be willing to back date an international calling plan which would substantially reduce the charges.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.9K Messages

3 years ago

Have to agree with @sandblaster  

You also should set up blocks on her line and phone to prohibit this kind of problem.

Under the circumstances I would probably put her on a prepaid account which limits what she can do, because you have to pay to do anything.  

• 

6 Messages

3 years ago

Regarding "If the calls were actually made, and it sounds like they were, you are pretty much at ATT’s mercy. I would suggest escalating to corporate by filing an FCC or BBB complaint...." is there any way to talk to a Human to maybe work something out without going to the extreme of filing FCC or BBB complaint?  There has to be another path that actually involves dealing with an ATT resource that can listen and make decisions, to include "back date an international calling plan which would substantially reduce the charges"?

In the meantime, can "blocks on her line and phone to prohibitt this kind of problem" be performed by me online?  

ACE - Sage

• 

117.9K Messages

3 years ago

If you need a human being that can actually do something for you, no. Filing a Better Business Bureau complaint is not all that extreme and we advise people to do it all the time. The complaint is sent to AT&T upper management and they will call you. It’s a whole lot better than trying to sift through a bunch of peons who do you not have the power to credit such a large amount.   
    As it is I suspect the best you can hope for is for them to offer you a long distance plan that will re-rate your charges.  

• 

6 Messages

3 years ago

lizance40, thank you for your response.   Do you think I should turn off my bill pay until this is resolved? 

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

3 years ago

Do you think I should turn off my bill pay until this is resolved?

No, that won’t help. Once actually billed, not paying will only result in service suspension. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.9K Messages

3 years ago

Agree ⬆️

• 

6 Messages

3 years ago

Followup: ATT suspended the device due to "unusual activity" and asked that I call a number.  I called, spent less than min on hold and now someone is listening to me and researching!

...and helping!

(edited)

ACE - Sage

• 

117.9K Messages

3 years ago

Suspension blocks service, not billing.  

Hope they can help

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.