Need help understanding your bill?
dumbnamehere's profile

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, November 24th, 2022 11:38 AM

"You can't move your line from a new account number to an old account number."

In completing an acceptance of transfer of billing responsibility, I reached a step asking if I want to transfer "to an existing account" (and it provides the number of the account). When I select that, I get the message: "You can't move your line from a new account number to an old account number."

The other choice is to create a new account. When I select that, I get the identical message. 

There is no third choice.

What gives? I dread spending an hour on the phone trying to navigate bots and humans. All the online info and videos say I should I have been able to do with a few clicks online.

The chatbot was certainly unable to understand regardless of how I phrased my question.

Thanks for whatever help you can provide.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

1 year ago

I'm not sure if this relates to the problem but when you accept the billing transfer:

... you either have an existing account already, which has an account number which you should provide, or you are creating a brand new account after passing credit check.  There are some old accounts which cannot accept new lines. And if the billing is different, build in arrears versus billed during the cycle, numbers cannot transfer. 

Chat bots are (cough) "limited" intelligence.   

This is no day to go to a corporate store but that is what I would recommend. They should be able to take a look at both of the accounts and explain why you cannot transfer the number.  And I may be giving them too much credit, but it has to be better than talking to someone on the phone over a Thanksgiving weekend where 90% of the people that are  working are going to be outside of the USA

• 

2 Messages

1 year ago

Thanks for the comment. Yeah when it mentions "existing account" it actually names the account by number, and the number matched. So they know I have an account, and which account. There was no credit check stage to it. I only have one other device on my account, and I am not aware of any limit. 

Going into the store usually works, but I always allow 90 minutes per visit, which could be the same amount time spent on phone, but the difference being there will be a result in the store and probably won't be in a phone interaction. Or, better still, they will "resolve" it by telling me I have to go to a store. Probably it's a way for them to upsell me to a new device when I do go in. Because capitalism.

Hope you had a good Thanksgiving!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.