Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 8/31. See all protection plans.
R

• 

1 Message

Tue, May 19, 2020 3:15 PM

Why isnt the IRS able to verify my phone number belongs to me when its in my name?

I'm trying to fix my taxes but in order to verify identity they need to be able to verify my phone number is a us based carrier that can receive texts when I enter my number it says it can't be verified and due to COVID 19 theres no other way to verify identity.

Responses

MicCheck

ACE - Expert

• 

9K Messages

3 months ago

Other users have mentioned that they discovered this is due to a freeze on credit reports, which is how the IRS is able to use your number as an identity check.

Just to be sure, do you have post paid service (i.e. you get a bill each month and then pay it later)?

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

8 Messages

a month ago

were you able to solve this? 

• 

8 Messages

a month ago

i was able to solve my problem  

I have read several post sayings that you need a postpaid number with a caller id matching your name. But I can confirm that I was able to do it with an AT&T prepaid number after struggling at first.

While I can’t be certain what made it work, this is what I changed.

important points are:

1.    the name on the account needs to be the same used in the 1040 that you submitted in your last tax return. I think this includes case. so joel vs Joel would likely make a difference. Also, whether you used abbreviations or not for the middle names or last names (if you have more than one). Just review it and be certain that the name matches exactly. You can go to att.com/prepaid , login -> my profile to edit the information. it takes about 24 hours to update the name. I also updated the phone number and email.

2.    I was wondering if the format of the number matter, well, I don’t know for sure but the format I used when typing the number in the webpage followed the format NPA-NXX-xxxx (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_Numbering_Plan)

3.    I sent one SMS message from my phone to 77958 with text IN

This would opt-in to the IRS password system and if you get a response from the IRS you are sure that the IRS can send messages to your phone which is also needed.

Some other threads were saying that your data needs to be correct in Experian.com. I think that is true for the credit account or loan verification but after that step I believe the name registered with the phone carrier is what matters. Some people mentioned that if the report is frozen by them it would fail. You can call them if you have problems at the credit/loan.etc account verification.

Hope this helps others struggling with this, specially that due to covid this is the only way to get the transcripts for now.

I did call a CPA with eService access, and that is an option, but they need to Fax the signed power of attorney with the IRS and the IRS needs to respond. I think they are also responding slower these days so it will take a while to get the transcripts *I think*.

Get started...

Ask a new question