Our Community Forum will be shutting down on June 27, 2024. Please visit att.com/support for all your support needs.
Need help understanding your bill?
caseylburch90's profile

4 Messages

Tuesday, January 30th, 2024 7:57 PM

Why I feel AT&T doesn't care about me

I bought a pre paid phone for ATT when we were moving into a new area so I could test the service. The agent sold me the prepaid phone I picked out and put it on a post paid account without my knowledge. I didn't find this out until after the 14 day return period expired and so I was stuck. Once I realized I was in fact NOT going to have service in my area I called and was instructed to upgrade my phones to ones that were 5G capable. I did so and still yet, no service. I will save you the details of the multiple times I had to call and all the times I got disconnected and transferred and spent 2hrs at a time doing troubling shooting and told some of the most contradicting things I have ever been told and get to the moral of the story. In order for me to cancel I have to pay my devices off otherwise I can continue to pay my phone bill while only receiving 1.3 of what I'm paying for. I don't blame the reps I blame the company who has decided that this is how they should handle their customers by forcing them to stay.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

14.4K Messages

5 months ago

If you were buying a phone on installments, it wasn't a prepaid phone and you weren't signing up for prepaid service. That would have been very clear for the "paperwork" you signed and received. If you bought new phone again after the original purchase, your 14 day return period would have started over. I'm assuming these were the phones you bought on installments, so you could have returned them within 14 days and canceled service without having to pay the full price. 

If it's past that now, sell your phones on Swappa to recoup some of the cost and cancel your service.

ACE - Sage

• 

118.3K Messages

5 months ago

🤦🏼‍♀️

In order for me to cancel I have to pay my devices off

How did you not know it was postpaid.  😑

Prepaid doesn't do installments.

ACE - Sage

• 

118.3K Messages

5 months ago

The most shocking part about all this is you could have googled "can I test AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile for free?"  (Because you can)

https://www.droid-life.com/2023/10/31/dont-like-your-wireless-carrier-try-another-for-free/

ACE - Sage

• 

118.3K Messages

5 months ago

Why on Earth would an AT&T salesperson suggest they try networks for free? That's not their job. 

Their job is to sell the products for the company they work for. 

This one did an excellent job. Because the original poster didn't know enough to ask for prepaid $30 plan, and didn't know that for prepaid service you have to buy your own phone, this bright bulb purchased a postpaid phone with installments with postpaid service.

I really would like to know what "prepaid" phone it is this person purchased  (on installments) 🤦🏼‍♀️

ACE - Expert

• 

14.4K Messages

5 months ago

A salesperson who suggests not making a purchase isn't a very good salesperson.

4 Messages

5 months ago

So MY mistake started when I went to walmart to by a prepaid phone, which is what I did. I went to the prepaid section and had them pull the prepaid phone out the case and I bought it. The lady who sold it to me told me there was a promotion going where I only had to pay for the phone and that I didnt have to buy a card to make the first payment that it came with the phone and then I could make my next month payment over the phone. So i was actually excited that I was getting it on a deal. I was mislead. I wouldn't ever go to walmart to have a post paid account set up but I would however go there to get a prepaid phone. Which I wont ever do again. I only made this post because I feel like ATT is not listening to me and now I am in deeper than I want to be and cant get out with a phone that has NO service where I live and I want people to know that my experience has shown me they dont care. 

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

14.4K Messages

5 months ago

Everything you've described sounds exactly like you purchased a prepaid phone and plan. If you unknowingly had signed up for a postpaid plan, it would have been a quite involved process, with multiple signatures required along with providing your name, address, email, and Social Security Number. 

If you really do have a postpaid plan, you've left a lot out of the story.

4 Messages

5 months ago

MicCheck I appreciate your comments but I didn't make this post for opinions, I just want to blast ATT at any chance I can because I know what happened with my situation. I am leaving out a lot of the story because its a lot. MORAL OF IT IS THAT I WAS SCREWED and your opinion that I misinterpreted my experience and that what happened didn't would suggest that you know more about it than I do. Which you don't. I am (Edited per community guidelines) about this whole thing so sorry for the aggressive response but you trying to contradict me and pick apart what I am saying isn't sitting well. Its just internet stupidity when someone post about something they went threw and someone uses it as an opportunity to suggest something negative. 

(edited)

ACE - Sage

• 

118.3K Messages

5 months ago

@lkb914 

I'm sure every minimum wage worker at Walmart has his or her goal set to work for Walmart until they're old enough to retire and become a greeter (NOT).   Sorry for sarcasm, but given the parameters of this particular original posters purchase and issue, there was no other way than to point out Walmarts tissue paper use and toss of employees defies any such suggestion that they are going to stick around long enough to create a long-term relationship of trust.  

And of course the Walmart employees are not AT&T. They're also aren't Verizon or T-Mobile, but they sell their phones at Walmart as well. 

ACE - Expert

• 

14.4K Messages

5 months ago

The fact is that if you were actually signed up for a postpaid plan, it was very obvious, because you gave a lot of information and signed a bunch of stuff. Did that happen?

Come to think of it, you wouldn't have been able to sign up for a postpaid plan by picking out a phone off the prepaid rack. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.