For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
momsterx4's profile

• 

2 Messages

Monday, January 9th, 2023 5:17 AM

Why does AT&T think its legal to sim lock my phone

I Have a iphone 13 promax AT&T sim locked for nonpayment of bill, unfortunately i have a financial hardship and ultimately cannot make payment on my past due bill. According to several reps AT&T has a right to lock my personal device until they obtain payment. The phone is mine previously purchased prior to starting phone service with AT&T.  I believe this is illegal and is causing another hardship. what steps can i take to resolve this problem. 

3 Messages

5 months ago

I hope this is relevant.  Looking for suggestions.  I bought an ATT phone 2nd hand that was described as unlocked.  I used it with Red Pocket for about 1.5yrs no problem.  Then asked Red Pocket to help with enabling Hotspot feature that was supposed to be in my plan.  We did lots of network setting options but couldn't get Hotspot working.  Then I discovered I lost internet data.  When I confirmed the settings to get it working, I discovered my phone stopped working.  So I had to choose between phone or mobile internet, chose phone/text.  Then I brought the phone to local ATT and the clerk tried his sim card.  Same problem.  He suggested I check on ATT.com if the phone might be locked.  I tried that and it came up locked with no help to learn what old fees might exist.  Just today my SIM card is no longer identified even though I'm paid through February.  I see the typical number of phone bars for my home location but phone says no SIM and won't call or text.  I noticed the slightest amount of dog slobber had dripped into my simple flexible case.  The phone is supposed to be water resistant with sealed battery and such.  Do any of my symptoms match the way ATT might try to attack a phone with some kind of outstanding bill (with another provider)?

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

5 months ago

If the phone was originally purchased from AT&T and had an outstanding balance for the phone purchase, AT&T might black list it, but in that case it wouldn't work at all. If the phone was working fine and then all of a sudden wasn't, then it's either a problem with the service or a problem with the phone. You'd have to call Red Pocket about the service. They might also be able to trouble shoot the phone, but it might just be time to buy a new one.

Whatever the case ends up being, AT&T isn't involved with you in any way and there is nothing they can do to help.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

5 months ago

@ART005 

If the phone were blacklisted it would say "blocked from network".  If it is carrier locked to a different service provider it would say "SIM not supported".

Red pocket uses three different service providers, which SIM are you using with red pocket Verizon AT&T or T-Mobile?

And based on where this problem started, trying to use the hotspot included with your red pocket plan, the monkeyed around with your provisioning and messed up your data plan.  So that's entirely on red pocket. They need to reprovision your plan correctly.

The hotspot on AT&T phones is a carrier-specific function.  They lock it down on all of their phones so that you can't use the hotspot if you don't have it included in your service plan.   For this reason, it frequently does not work with other service providers.  My advice is purchase a non-carrier branded/factory unlocked phone not a phone that was previously used on a different service provider with carrier software included.

3 Messages

5 months ago

Thanks for the detailed feedback. Waiting for replacement SIM. When i back up some important things I'll try factory reset with the new SIM. Connections Reset did not help.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

5 months ago

@ART005 

There is no benefit to a factory reset.   Zip, zero, zilch.

3 Messages

5 months ago

All input is appreciated. I realize this is slight tangent but describing what Majors can't do is helpful similar to what they can do. Phone worked well for 1.5yrs, then kind of self destructed in a few delayed steps. Note 5. Would like to keep for ~2 more years, then typical upgrade. Note 8?

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

5 months ago

The note 5 is 8.5 years old.  The 8 is 6.5 years old.  😱

Why?   Just why?  

Unless you're getting security updates you should not be using an old  phone.   At least not for anything important, critical, personal and certainly not financial.

Hope your using prepaid.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.