For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
momsterx4's profile

• 

2 Messages

Monday, January 9th, 2023 5:17 AM

Why does AT&T think its legal to sim lock my phone

I Have a iphone 13 promax AT&T sim locked for nonpayment of bill, unfortunately i have a financial hardship and ultimately cannot make payment on my past due bill. According to several reps AT&T has a right to lock my personal device until they obtain payment. The phone is mine previously purchased prior to starting phone service with AT&T.  I believe this is illegal and is causing another hardship. what steps can i take to resolve this problem. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

11 months ago

Spam, it's what's cooking!

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

11 months ago

Seems to be a lot of that lately.

2 Messages

9 months ago

So ATT feels they can lock the phone because a person is using an ATT SIM card, even though I purchased the phone direct from Samsung in 2021 while on Verizon.  I moved from Verizon to ATT after doing the 15day free trial with T-mobile which was better performance over Verizon but testing showed ATT 1.5 yrs ago had better performance.   Now I am seeing on our neighborhood app that T-mobile has greatly improved. With ATT raising rates and reducing the discount for auto pay (unless you move to the less secure method of Debit card) I wanted to test again. T-mobile  currently has a 3 month FREE trail using an ESIM so you can compare your current provider (in this case ATT) with T-mobile.  Problem is if you have a ATT Sim card installed  ATT locks the option under  network operators to turn off select automatically. The screen shows the option but you can not access it. By not being able to turn this off it prevents the loading of an ESIM which is not from ATT. If you remove the SIM card (I also installed my old Verzion SIM) that option can be turned off. Problem is T-mobile requires you to have an active phone account with any provider or it fails, The states you need to have an active account with a provider and makes sense since Tmobile is providing 3 months absolutely free and some may abuse it.  I Also had Tmobile send me a QR code since the rep in the ATT store told me he has only been able to install an ESIM on a Samsung phone using a QR code. That also fails!  To me this is just an obstacle ATT has put in place to prevent people from changing.  This brings up the question, why is ATT (since they say they have the best network) afraid to have customer compare?  

I just talked to Tmobile and they said I can do another 15day trail which I will do. 

Below is the snip showing the option to turn off auto select and not accessible to change

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

9 months ago

@stevemc801 

Not a locked phone. 

That's not how it works when you have a dual SIM phone.  Doesn't matter what type of phone or what type of service provider if you have an E-Sim installed, you have to switch back and forth between the two SIM cards. That "switch" has nothing to do with it.

And what you're showing is not a carrier lock.  It's usually for when you're roaming outside of network. Like when you're in Europe.    There may be orange, Vodafone, and several other roaming networks and you can choose which one you would like to use based on who has best network performance.  

That's not this.

@GLIMMERMAN76 

Can explain it better

Meanwhile:

https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/mobile-devices/how-to-use-or-manage-dual-sim-cards/

2 Messages

9 months ago

On the contrary I called Samsung and they agree this should not be locked and testing with another sim (non ATT) this option is not locked.  They told me this is a provider issue. Samsung verified my IMEI and clearly see there are no locks and the only variable is the ATT SIM being installed.  

I know I have to switch between SIM's (SIM and ESIM) that is simple in the software once an ESIM is installed and what I planned to do. This would allow running the test on both systems pretty much at the same time and in the same location.  My issue is installing the ESIM. With the option locked the setup fails because T-Mobile is unable to change the provider hence the issue.

(edited)

1 Message

8 months ago

I have an IPhone 12 mini 64GB Black and the bill for it gets paid every month even tho it is sim locked i still love my IPhone 

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

8 months ago

@Tay  If that's true then you can submit an unlock request after 6 months of use or once the phone is paid off. I always purchase our iPhones directly from Apple unlocked so there's never any issue.

1 Message

5 months ago

just got off the phone with a rep and they swear up and down my phone wont be locked to at&t when i get my new sim card for my phone not from at&t.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

5 months ago

@whitesamoan 

And?  🤷🏼‍♀️

If you purchased an unlocked phone, then it would stay unlocked.

If you purchased a phone that's subject to a flex lock policy by service providers then it would be locked as soon as a SIM is installed.

Phones that have already been unlocked because they were locked under a flex lock policy from a different service provider cannot be locked again.

But since you have provided zero information, and because AT&T is notorious for providing partial information or bad information, we have no idea whether your phone is subject to a flex lock policy, was previously unlocked from a different service provider and therefore cannot be locked, is already locked to AT&T, or will remain unlocked because it is an unlocked phone...

🤷🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️

So are you going to play cell phone roulette, or do you want to try providing decent information so that you might get an answer that is worth more than spit?  Because that's what you've gotten so far..

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

5 months ago

A good reason to always outright purchase a phone unlocked (SIM-less) from the mfr.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.