Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Sat, Mar 23, 2019 9:41 PM

Why did AT&T change my plan without telling me?

Been a long time AT&T customer and received an email today regarding my "account changes".  Went into my account to find out that my plan has been changed without my approval, and my new monthly bill amount is $60 more than it has been.  Additionally, since it's being done mid month, my upcoming bill will be essentially double of what I typically pay.  So, I call ATT customer service, and the woman tells me my plan's been discontinued and they moved me to a new plan but I get more data with it.  Wow?!  Oh...and the amount they notified me is incorrect.  She says ATT is aware that it's been distributing erroneous billing notices but hasn't fixed it.  I told her I wasn't interested in an increase in my monthly wireless bill.  Her solution was to tell my daughter to use less data so we could downgrade our plan, and then essentially pay what we've been paying all along...maybe $10 less per month.  So, as a thank you for being a long term ATT customer, I have the choice to limit my daughter's phone usage to keep paying what I've been paying, or upgrade to a higher data plan even though I've never gone over and don't need any extra data.  She then tried to educate me on how wifi works and that doesn't cost me anything.  Wow..a GREAT example of HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Responses

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

a year ago

your so smart, congratulations 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

a year ago

I just hung up with them.

I delete nothing.

They took me from $226 a month to $389.  Pure tactics to pay for 5g I am sure...regardless I had to talk to them about a plan similar if not better than my old one for "about" the same as I had been paying.   BUT they refused to prorate the remainder of the month even though I am 3 days into the billing cycle and I must still pay the $390 this month.  {edited for word filter evasion} I am permanently soured on ATT.  So yes, they do scre....I mean change things w/o notice.   It was on the prev months bill in TEEEEENY words that "we will be changing blah blah....."  well they can sit on it.  KW

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

78.5K Messages

a year ago

@FokJooEHTEAantT wrote:

I just hung up with them.

I delete nothing.

They took me from $226 a month to $389.  Pure tactics to pay for 5g I am sure...regardless I had to talk to them about a plan similar if not better than my old one for "about" the same as I had been paying.   BUT they refused to prorate the remainder of the month even though I am 3 days into the billing cycle and I must still pay the $390 this month. 

Your new carrier won’t prorate either.  No carrier does.  You pay “month to month”. 

Gouging and bool ca ca smelly cat pee pee .  I am permanently soured on ATT.  So yes, they do scre....I mean change things w/o notice.   It was on the prev months bill in TEEEEENY words that "we will be changing blah blah....."  well they can sit on it.  KW

No, they didn’t.  The price increase was $10 at most.  If you are looking at the customer service summary, it is not, and never was, your bill.  Mine was always $30 off.

See this ⬇️   NOT YOUR BILL.                    That thing is a bill ⤵️   

B06103F8-034D-41D6-887B-C546E1E0CCA8.jpeg910F5BA3-8301-4A32-A295-DCD042F7B661.jpeg

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
svache

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

a year ago

Add me to the list of disgruntled customers. My monthly average data use is just below 10gb, so why would I want 30gb for more money? 

Aside from this, I'm being slapped with a 60 USD upgrade fee, for something I never asked for.

This is truly ridiculous. I recently received an offer for unlimited everything for 45 per line, all fees included, with a competitor, Perhaps it's time to move on after all these years.

What a disgrace.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

78.5K Messages

a year ago

@svache 

1.   Read the thread.  The increase is not $60, its $10, as stated in the notice.
2.   If you barely use 10 gigs, the 9 gig plan may fit you perfectly.  Switch in your myATT account.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
svache

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

a year ago

@lizdance40 I did actually read the thread first. I said I was being charged an "upgrade fee" of 60 bucks (it was 2x30 actually). That is a one time fee, not a monthly recurring fee of 10 USD. It wasn't added to the plan's base fee but a separate charge. That said, it seems they changed it overnight and that upgrade fee seems to have been removed so it's a non-issue now.

But what I just did notice, however, is that they bill me with 5 days prorated charges for a total of 11 USD. If it is indeed a 10 USD increase, then why is the prorated charge higher? Also, why even do prorated charges? My billing cycle isn't changing. They could have initiated it on the billing cycle itself. Prorated charges also increase other fees that are based on percentages.

I will do what was suggested many times in this thread, and wait until I see the actual bill in a few days. I did look at changing my plan to a 9 gig as well, but it would make things uncertain as we used an average of 9.8 GB a month according to ATT. Had it been 10, I would probably have felt better about it, but 9 is too iffy. If the eventual change is indeed 10 dollars, then that's what it has to be I suppose. Well, if we don't move over to the competitor I mentioned, because 45 bucks per line all-in starts to look more like a better deal than sticking with ATT. I just don't like the idea that they use the Verizon network, but I digress.

Reading through the thread, I do feel ATT could have done a lot better in how they handled this. There was, and still is, a lot of confusion, and I totally get that. My normal monthly bill is $182, but my service summary states it will go up to $265 a month (and again, yes, I will wait until the actual bill comes in to make a judgement on the actual outcome). As mentioned, I also saw one-time charges of a 60 USD upgrade fee that didn't make sense and are now removed again. In the notification email, they call it an "order" but I never ordered anything, elsewhere it is called an upgrade. Actually, the fact they called it an order made alarm bells go off on my end because I was afraid someone stole my account. It could've been named different for example.

Aside from all of this, there is a psychological aspect to it. People see "order" and "upgrade" and see their data is doubled. By doing that, they feel it is not just an increase of their monthly cost, but a different plan altogether. I read you said something about getting double the gas or double the food for only 10 dollars more, that you would be more than happy to. But consider for a moment that not everyone needs double the gas or food. If you spend 10 dollars for something you don't need, you're essentially throwing away 10 dollars and you're throwing away that gas or food that you don't need. Also, if you need to spend extra money to get a discount, you're still spending extra money. ATT placed this under a veil of "you get double the data", but it is something most people in this thread weren't asking for: they didn't need it. They saw a change they didn't ask for, didn't need, and a price increase. The psychological effect by giving double the data for 10 dollars more is that they feel they should be able to get out of that. Had it been a simple increase over time that would end up in a 10 dollar higher monthly bill, most people wouldn't have said a thing. In the end, simply increasing the bill by 10 bucks does the same for them (and me) as doubling the data does for 10 bucks more when we don't need that extra data. 

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

78.5K Messages

a year ago

@svache  Upgrade fees are for buying new phones.  Completely unrelated to the price increase.  
The customer service summary does not include all the discounts that you get. I don’t know why AT&T still sends it out it is totally inaccurate.    
   Yes AT&T could’ve handled it better. They send out monthly text messages about closing down the AT&T locker back up service.  Sending out a text for this would’ve been a good idea.

QuarryRye

Master

• 

3.2K Messages

a year ago

If the double data bothers you, just think of it as AT&T raising the price of the plan by $10, just like every other company raises prices every now and then.

**Disclaimer: I don't work for AT&T, have never worked for AT&T, and have never been compensated by them in any way, shape, or form**
svache

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

a year ago

Hmm guess I'm getting quite curious to see what my bill will look like in a few days. I was just toying around, comparing my plan to other plans (which in turn I was doing since I am upgrade elible again, and to my shock I found that there's no ATT Next Every Year anymore.. ugh...), and the comparison calculation state my current bill, for the mobile share, is 112.50, this was previously 100 so I'm assuming the 112.50 means the new bill.. does that seem correct? It's for 2 lines, going from 15 to 30 gb. Adding 10 bucks should go to 110, no?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

a year ago

It is the deceptive euphemism that that upsets me the most.  Just call it a price increase. I thought someone  had hacked my account since I hadn’t authorized a “plan change.” Really poor customer service just exacerbates it.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

a year ago

I am upset at this sneaky way of getting more money by giving unneeded data. It confused me and sent us scrounging around for old online statements before we realized what was really happening—money grab. I opted for a plan that will slow our data “as needed”, and am sure this will be mistake, but I am too upset to give another dime for data I don’t need. I am most upset at the untrue (and therefore fraudulent) text telling me we were close to our data limit that preceded the email changing our plan. Overall, this was a shoddy deal and we have been customers for over a decade...

MicCheck

ACE - Expert

• 

9.1K Messages

a year ago

@Timeisup, it doesn’t sound sneaky at all. They but the higher price right there on the bill!

• 

4 Messages

7 months ago

I’m dealing with the same issue right now. I just wanted a simple phone upgrade (which I was eligible for). The representative added an additional line, which I still do not have the actual number for this line. They will not cancel the new additional line unless I buy out my contract for roughly $1100. Crazy thing is, they’re saying I can cancel my actual phone number that I’ve had for 20 years and not be charged. This is insane. Especially during these unsure times. AT&T does not care about their customers in this time of need.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Get started...

Ask a new question