Need help understanding your bill?
JayTX1's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Saturday, March 23rd, 2019 9:41 PM

Why did AT&T change my plan without telling me?

Been a long time AT&T customer and received an email today regarding my "account changes".  Went into my account to find out that my plan has been changed without my approval, and my new monthly bill amount is $60 more than it has been.  Additionally, since it's being done mid month, my upcoming bill will be essentially double of what I typically pay.  So, I call ATT customer service, and the woman tells me my plan's been discontinued and they moved me to a new plan but I get more data with it.  Wow?!  Oh...and the amount they notified me is incorrect.  She says ATT is aware that it's been distributing erroneous billing notices but hasn't fixed it.  I told her I wasn't interested in an increase in my monthly wireless bill.  Her solution was to tell my daughter to use less data so we could downgrade our plan, and then essentially pay what we've been paying all along...maybe $10 less per month.  So, as a thank you for being a long term ATT customer, I have the choice to limit my daughter's phone usage to keep paying what I've been paying, or upgrade to a higher data plan even though I've never gone over and don't need any extra data.  She then tried to educate me on how wifi works and that doesn't cost me anything.  Wow..a GREAT example of HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.1K Messages

5 years ago

@BobbyBG wrote:

Similar experience to that which keeps getting dismissed as incorrect or people don't what they are talking about. I had a 15GB plan mobile share paying $130 total. It was changed to 30 GB because my plan is no longer offered and now my bill is $187. Have bill in hand. That's $57 for something I don't need or asked. So my bill as OP mentioned included the new amount plus proration for the previous month putting that new bill at $230. The notices didn't state I'd be paying $60 more. So it is clearly a lot more than $5 or $10. Have already called AT&T and just proceeded to tell me what happened i.e. they phased out my 15GB plan. Trying to figure out my options. 

Your best option right now is to read the bill. What specific charges are different from your last bill and by how much?

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

5 years ago

@MicCheck wrote:

@BobbyBG wrote:

Similar experience to that which keeps getting dismissed as incorrect or people don't what they are talking about. I had a 15GB plan mobile share paying $130 total. It was changed to 30 GB because my plan is no longer offered and now my bill is $187. Have bill in hand. That's $57 for something I don't need or asked. So my bill as OP mentioned included the new amount plus proration for the previous month putting that new bill at $230. The notices didn't state I'd be paying $60 more. So it is clearly a lot more than $5 or $10. Have already called AT&T and just proceeded to tell me what happened i.e. they phased out my 15GB plan. Trying to figure out my options. 

Your best option right now is to read the bill. What specific charges are different from your last bill and by how much?

130 was just the data charge it did not include the line fees...  MSV always had a 15 or 25 dollar line fee.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.4K Messages

5 years ago

@BobbyBG wrote:

And the information from AT&T is this:   https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/wireless/KM1324713

Compare bills to see where the changes are.  

Guru

• 

321 Messages

5 years ago

I haven't received the notice yet or the increase,but I'm curious as to what will happen to my bill.

I was originally on the 15GB MSV plan for $100.00 and received a bonus of 5GB. Still billed $100.00, but listed on my account as 20GB MSV plan.

They list the 15GB MSV plan at $100.00 and $130.00 and list the 20GB MSV plan at $140.00 and $150.00.

Will they change me to the 30GB plan  for $110.00 or charge me $140.00?

Another scenario will they change me to the 40GB plan and charge me $110.00, $140.00, $150.00 or $160.00?

Anybody have any clue what will happen?

Bill

ACE - Sage

• 

116.4K Messages

5 years ago

I passed this thread to the community manager.  The $5 or $10 increase should not show as $60 or $100 more on the bill.  On the summary, yes, those are always wrong.  

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

I can read my bill. $130 was my total bill after a work discont for 2 lines.  The data portion alone jumped to $110 under the 30gb plan. So add on line fees and taxes and I am at $187. The data is the only thing that changed, coupled with the additional taxes that go with that and you have my new bill. I'll call them again. That is all.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.4K Messages

5 years ago

@BobbyBG wrote:

I can read my bill. $130 was my total bill after a work discont for 2 lines.  The data portion alone jumped to $110 under the 30gb plan. So add on line fees and taxes and I am at $187. The data is the only thing that changed, coupled with the additional taxes that go with that and you have my new bill. I'll call them again. That is all.

Okay,  the 15 gig plan was $100 and would be $110 after increase.   That’s the portion that eligible for your work discount.  Where is it?   Because it seems that’s what the problem is.  I have the same plan and a 22% discount.  My data plan is listed as $100 - $22, net $78.   (I haven’t been increased) 

Data is NOT taxable.  

Line fees are $15 and those are taxed.  That portion should not have changed.  

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

5 years ago

@BobbyBG wrote:

data portion should be 110 but your discount should bring that down.  You did make sure the discount was there right?

ACE - Sage

• 

116.4K Messages

5 years ago

@billsite34 wrote:

I haven't received the notice yet or the increase,but I'm curious as to what will happen to my bill.

I was originally on the 15GB MSV plan for $100.00 and received a bonus of 5GB. Still billed $100.00, but listed on my account as 20GB MSV plan.

They list the 15GB MSV plan at $100.00 and $130.00 and list the 20GB MSV plan at $140.00 and $150.00.

Will they change me to the 30GB plan  for $110.00 or charge me $140.00?

Another scenario will they change me to the 40GB plan and charge me $110.00, $140.00, $150.00 or $160.00?

Anybody have any clue what will happen?

Bill

Link in post 14.  If you haven’t received notice, you probably aren’t getting the increase.  I’m kinda bummed, I want it.  

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

I see the confusion with understanding the discrepancy in my bills. I was not paying $100 for the 15GB before the discount. I was paying much less so that is how my total bill was $130. So when I say my bill increased about $50 from what I was paying, it did even after discounts because the data is now $110 to me. So for those paying $100 previously for 15GB it would be a $10 increase. However I did  not go from 100 to 110. Thanks. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.