Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 3/31. See all protection plans.

• 

1 Message

Fri, Jan 17, 2020 8:45 PM

Was given a number that used to belong to somebody else.

I am a federal employee that received a new work phone in July 2019. Upon activation of my phone, I started receiving calls and texts obviously intended for the previous owner of the phone number. It has been more than six moths and I am STILL receiving these communications intended for somebody else, at all hours of the day and night (I am "on-call" almost 100% of the time, so this is extra-irritating as I cannot just ignore my work phone outside of "normal" business hours). I do not have a question about this, but I do have a recommendation:. AT&T should institute a "cooling off period" for all phone numbers of at least three, if not five, years before assigning the number to another person.

Responses

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

70.1K Messages

4 weeks ago

There are not enough numbers to let a number sit for 3 to 5 years. Carriers let numbers sit for six months, and then they are recycled

🐾 (The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
mobilemax

Employee

• 

764 Messages

4 weeks ago

Hello,

If you got a new line that’s been “recycled” and receiving unwanted calls, you can go by a corporate store, contact customer care via (Phone number hidden) (611 form phone) or chat on Att.com or the MyAT&T app to request a number change. During the first 30 days of service there isn’t a fee for this change and it generally takes effect in minutes.

(edited)

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.