Our Community Forum will be shutting down on June 27, 2024. Please visit att.com/support for all your support needs.
Need help understanding your bill?
dteston's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, August 15th, 2014 2:01 PM

Warrantied defective phone sent to ATT was water damaged when they received it

Hello all, I have a Galaxy Note 3 that started having problems charging (wiggling the cable in the connector would help it get connection, but several replacement cables reacted the same). I worked with the warranty department to get the phone replaced. When they walked me through examining the phone for damage, all 3 of the water damage indicators were white. I shipped the phone back to ATT once I received my replacement, then 10 days or so later got a confirmation that the phone was in transit (not sure why it took them so long).

A few weeks later, I received the defective device back in the mail. Upon opening the package, the phone was showing signs of condensation inside the plastic wrap in the mailer, on the screen, and in the battery bay. There was also a nice note from ATT explaining that there was water damage to the phone and that they would be charging me $659 for the replacement device.

I immediately got on the phone with customer service. The CSR after speaking to her manager ensured that the charge would be removed from my account, but that I needed to bring the defective unit to the nearest ATT store so they could examine it and receive it. I drove straight to the store, waited in line, then was told that they would not remove the charge since that wasn't what was put in the ticket. I was infuriated, so I decided to let the matter sit that night.

Called customer service again the following Monday. Was told by the (very rude) CSR that the issue needed to go up the chain, and that their manager would be giving me a call back within 10 minutes. Waited all night, never received a return call. 

Fast forward a few days. Called customer service again. This CSR was extremely friendly and told me she would get the issue resolved. She said that this would need to get looked at by another department, but that they would give me a call back no later than 72 hours. Waited 2 weeks, never received any call or email.

Called customer service a 4th time. Was told by the CSR that they wouldn't do anything to work with me, and that if I had a problem with it I should have returned the replacement device (didn't even know that was an option). I asked her what happened if a phone was lost, shattered, completely submerged, burned, etc in shipping, and she said that I'd be out the money, too bad.

I was infuriated. I called back the next day to customer service (5th time). This time was again told the issue would need to be looked at by another department and that they would be getting ahold of me through email or by phone within 48 hours. 3 days later, still no call or email. 

Called customer service a 6th time, was told that no way would they work with me to resolve this; that the phone had water damaged when they received it, so I'm out the money.

I still have the back and battery from the original phone, and the battery water damage indicator is still white. I don't know what happened once I mailed the package, but the phone that I sent in was in better shape than when it was returned to me.

Is there anything I can do?? I've had ATT/Cingular for almost 15 years now, and have never had a problem with the service. This experience has been terrible however, and as of now, I've wasted close to 10 hours of my time trying to get this resolved.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Former Employee

• 

4.9K Messages

10 years ago

Hello, dteston!

Thanks for posting. I'm sorry to hear about your recent experience getting a replacement for a damaged device. We would be happy to investigate further, so please click here to send us a private message.

In your message, please provide your name, phone number, email address, and the best time to reach you. You can expect a reply within two business days, so keep an eye on the little blue envelope icon in the top right corner of your screen.

In the meantime, feel free to message me with any other questions or concerns.

-Mariana

Mentor

• 

47 Messages

10 years ago

Att customer care never returns calls like promised so many times they said that to me not once the did at least 15 times or more i been made that promise.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

It's pretty ridiculous. By pushing this back several days at a time (because they're supposed to 'call' me), they have pushed this to a point where I have now been charged for their mistake, instead of resolving this a month ago when I first started calling them. It's very frustrating to keep being promised that things are being handled, only to find that they are making empty promises and pushing the problem down the road for someone else to handle. I've worked customer support for another company for years, and the service (or I guess more accurately the lack thereof) I have throughout this ordeal would have had managers, VPs, and others involved trying to fix it, I guess the difference is that the company I worked for actually cared about keeping their customers and tried to treat them kindly and fairly. 

Mentor

• 

47 Messages

10 years ago

I come to the conclusion att cares but not the greatest on support or customer service.

Sent from my iPad

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Almost the same here.except my phone my edge on my edge stopped working. I worked with the stores n tech line to fix my phone.several times just trying to fix it so I didnt have to get a replacement. I hate reinstalling and setting up apps again so I wanted to just fix mine. Huge. Mistake! They suggested a warranty issue.sent the box n label. I sent it to whoever. Had a shipping issue and communication issue on the phone getting to them.Between them saying they didn't get the phone back yet, my tracking number must be wrong, till...... oh they got the phone a week before? Say what?,shut off my service for nonpayment, after a few weeks found out it was because a tech found water damage...a week before....?I pay for extra insurance. If the phone tech that diagnosed my phobe thought there was even a slightest chance water could have gotten in my phone, which other then condensation , Had no other way....shouldn't they have just put me through the asurion insurance I pay for? It's there for a reason? Sent supposed water damage phone back to me.told I NOW have to send it to the asurion company.... which I would have done in the first place! Still owe warranty company 750. Asurion is now going to send me a new phone which I was told .....by atnt warranty. Get this....to sell it once I get it to get the money back that I have to pay them. .......um really ATnT! This is kinda crazy...... no? I seriously feel the phone tech screwed up my diagnostic..sent to the incorrect insurance/warranty company. Now because of this mistake I'm left with no service and a Huge bill. Thanks ATnT!

ACE - Sage

• 

118.3K Messages

8 years ago

The warranty department only charges you if they provided you with a replacement phone.  

Did they send you a replacement phone, then return the damaged phone?

So you will wind up with a warranty replacement you paid $750 for and an insurance replacement you paid a deductible for.   Two phone...

Unless the warranty department will take the replacement phone back to remove the $750 charge, you have an extra phone to sell.

More information:  https://forums.att.com/t5/Other-Phones-Devices/What-if-I-m-charged-for-a-Warranty-Return/m-p/4821946#M75158

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.