pmt1209
100% warp speed!
Helpful 1
Celestial 50!

Scholar

• 

374 Messages

Saturday, December 20th, 2014 7:01 PM

WARNING:do not switch plans while phone upgrades are elligable..

Just a friendly warning if you are on a standard plan as I was and you have lines eligible for a upgrade do the upgrade before switching to say The Family Plan for you will lose the regular pay $199 to upgrade your phone, you will instead have to pay either $20+ more a month forever or lose any discounts on that line which again will raise your monthly rates forever.

Unfortunately for me I changed to the Family Plan and my wife’s line was well overdue for a upgrade and was told by the AT&T Rep at my local ATT store I could upgrade her line later same as always (I specifically asked this question knowing her phone was overdue for a upgrade but wanted to hold off till now and surprise her with a new phone for Christmas). I’ve contacted ATT both on online chat and by phone and sad to say all I got was a bunch of “we’re sorrys” BUT we can upgrade that line for $22 more a month, or pay $199 and lose all discounts on that line (which again will raise my monthly bill considerably or pay $649+taxes&fees…

To add insult to injury the ATT online chat crashed and the AT&T Online rep called my wife’s line asking her how she’d like the upgrade of her phone to be handled.. Really???? Needless to say the surprise is gone and so is upgrading her phone, going to look for alternatives after the holidays but one thing is for sure it will NOT be with AT&T… AT&T sales reps need to either be more well informed and/or AT&T should do right by their customers, especially ones who have been with them for over a decade.. It’s a shame they’re going to lose my 5 lines & thousands of dollars due to this debacle…

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Myattmst.com
pmt1209

Scholar

• 

374 Messages

8 years ago

2 of my lines were updated a little while before i switched and it didn't effect the discount..

Funny thing is you guys seem to know more about how upgrades/plans work then the AT&T reps at our local store...

ACE - Sage

• 

104K Messages

8 years ago

Your math is incorrect.
When you purchase a subsidized phone, paying $199 upfront (16 GB iPhone
price) , you lose the line discount of $25 per month (10th data plan
discount). Over the required 2 year contract you pay another $600. A
total of $799 for the phone.

On Mobile Share, purchasing with Next, you pay the retail price, divided
into monthly payments, zero interest. A total of $649.

On either plan (2 year or Mobile Share) you can buy a compatible phone
anywhere and use it on the plan without an upgrade fee or any change in
plan, price or service.

** stop kidding ourselves...
Customers have been paying for their phones all along. The cost of the
phone was built into the 2 year contracts. With the prices soaring on high
end phones, this is a fair and reasonable solution for all.

Under mobile share, BYOP and Next, customers can pay less and get more.

Those who want the latest tech toy and can afford to splurge on themselves
can pay the same price for the service and buy whatever phone they want,
keep it as long as they like. Pass it on, sell it or trade it in toward a
new phone.

The older, 2 year commitment plans are still available and advertised.
pmt1209

Scholar

• 

374 Messages

8 years ago

Like I said you guys know more then the reps lol..

that said, all these figures being posted, how about you could just pay $649 and buy the phone outright which seems cheaper then any of the options being thown around here.. heck you can buy one on ebay for $600 with apples warranty still intact for a year or one in  "used mint" condition with most of the warranty still intact for less then $600...  I thought of going that route but decided to just wait until after the holidays and switch to Verizon, T-Mobile or Sprint..   2 of which  offer unlimited text, call and data for much less then I presently pay with any/all discounts I presently have through AT&T..

ACE - Sage

• 

104K Messages

8 years ago

"....if you are on a standard plan as I was and you have lines eligible for a upgrade do the upgrade before switching to say The Family Plan for you will lose the regular pay $199 to upgrade your phone, you will instead have to pay either $20+ more a month forever or lose any discounts on that line which again will raise your monthly rates forever....."

It makes no difference when you did the upgrade.
You still have to pay for the new phone.
We have always paid for our phones. Part of the cost was in the upfront payment and the rest built into the monthly bill of your 2 year contract.
Once a line was out of contract at the end of 2 years and a phone paid off, did your bill go down?
No it didn't.
Now it does.

ACE - Sage

• 

104K Messages

8 years ago

"......how about you could just pay $649 and buy the phone outright which seems cheaper then any of the options being thown around here..."

That has always been an option. BYOP stands for bring your own phone. You can get good buys on older or used phones. A new iPhone 6 with 16gbs of storage is $649 retail. The cost when paid on installments with next is $649.

" I thought of going that route but decided to just wait until after the holidays and switch to Verizon, T-Mobile or Sprint.. 2 of which offer unlimited text, call and data for much less then I presently pay with any/all discounts I presently have through AT&T.."

If you go to sprint, you will have to buy sprint phones. They do not allow you to BYOP.
T-Mobile does offer a cheaper price and you can use your AT&T phones on their network. They will pay early termination fees, but they will not pay off installments on a phone. You have to pay off a phone financed with Next when you close your account. T-Mobile throttles the data on each line after 1gb. Verizon will not only make you buy a new phone, but you can't pay retail, or pay off your phone and keep the discounted line. They also don't let you keep your phone if you upgrade early.

pmt1209

Scholar

• 

374 Messages

8 years ago

Once a line was out of contract at the end of 2 years and a phone paid off, did your bill go down?
No it didn't.
Now it does.

Your saying the 3 lines I've upgraded in the past year/year and a half will lower my bill once the 2 years is up(2 are iPhones 5s the other my Galaxy S4)???  I honestly don't think so ...

kdfederer

ACE - Expert

• 

12.8K Messages

8 years ago

If you are on the new Mobile Share Plan, it will. On the Mobile Share Plan, you get a $15 to $25 per line per month discount for being out of contract. So your monthly payment will reduce once the contract is complete or if you buy using NEXT, you keep the discount but pay monthly for the phone and once that NEXT payments are complete, you don't pay any more.

On the old family plans, once you were upgrade eligible, your monthly price never changed, even if you never upgraded for years, you still paid the same.

Thus the new plans. They are lower in price but increase when you purchase a new phone to pay for the phone costs. If you are a person that doesn't upgrade every time you are eligible, the Mobile Share plans will save you money.

ACE - Sage

• 

104K Messages

8 years ago

If you have a phone under a 2 year, $40 a month, subsidized contract, it is eligible for the mobile share discounted line plan. A reduction of $25 a month if you share 10gb of data.

If you finance a phone with Next, the payment plan is finite. It is not rent. After 2 months you can pay off the balance of a financed Next phone and get service where you like.

You have the option of trading in a working phone, purchased under Next, before full payment , putting the phones value toward a new phone.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.