Warning about recent ATT Trade-in scam for the recent Note 20 promotion
I want to share my story and warn others to go check the status of their trade-in for those who think they are getting the $1000 bill credit under the recent Note 20 promotion. Also, if anyone else has been in my situation and was able to get it resolved, please advise on how you resolved.
I sent two Galaxy S8+ phones in for the Galaxy Note 20 Ultra promotion to receive $1000 in bill credits. The phones need to be valued at least $60 to qualify, I used the online estimator tool and they qualified. I sent in two phones in perfect condition (had screensavers and cases on them their entire life), I used the flimsy bubble envelope provided by ATT, wrapped them in more bubble wrap, and put them in two separate boxes (because you gave me two shipping labels). On sept 10th I checked the status and both phones are valued at $35 because the "Screen is not working - Screen is cracked/damaged." I find it nearly impossible that both phones after all the additional packaging in separate boxes were broken during shipment. If the screen was broken during shipment then both boxes would have needed to be mutilated during shipment.
I called the trade in program at 1-877-244-9829
- On 9/10 I was told it would be sent to Tier 2 and an email response would be given in 48 hours.
- On 9/15 I called again but was told I would be transferred but instead was disconnected.
- On 9/18 I called again and was told to wait 2 weeks for a response due to a backup.
- On 9/23 I was told both phones show a $1000 credit starting in December and that the status on the website would be updated accordingly.
- On 9/23 after checking the status on the website, I called back to let them know the status was not updated, was told i was being transferred but instead I was disconnected.
- On9/23 I called back again and was told I was being transferred but again I was disconnected!
- On 9/25 I was told it wasn't two weeks, but 14 business days and that I should get a response by Oct 2nd. If no email by the 2nd I could call back and escalate to a supervisor to open an "ICU case with the loyalty department."
- On 10/9 I Called back today and was told my only option was to email [email scrubbed] as the "Tier 2" department only operates through email.
- On 10/16 I got a response letting me know that the email was a "corporate address" and not the correct address, I responded back asking the correct address
- On 10/21 I got a response back telling me the correct address was Consumer:[email scrubbed] which appears to not be a valid address!
- On 10/21 I checked the status again and it reads "trade complete and payment sent / promotion applied." What?!?!?! This means all this promise of escalation was completely a lie!
- on 10/22 a visit is made to my local ATT corporate store, manager typed on the computer for a few minutes and said there is nothing they can do. They were persistent that they could not help and should call 611 or 1-800-331-0500.
- On 10/22 we called 611, person was very apologetic, could not believe our story, and promised to resolve it today so we would never need to call again. He put us on hold then transferred us to the trade-in department where we were told our only option was to escalate to Tier 2 and we would get an email in 24 to 48 hours. Wow. . .
I have been completely avoided by ATT up to this point, that much effort and yet to talk to anyone that has any ability to make a decision. So here I am, posting this message to warn others and try to get resolution.
I feel completely scammed. I sent in two perfect phones I could have sold on several online places for around $275 each. I am going to emphasize perfect phones. Both were marked as screen broken by the trade in program. Really? It feels like someone was instructed to claim phones have a problem and mark down the values. Phones marked at a value of $35. Not only does that mean I don't get my $2000 in bill credits, now I can't even get the $550 I could have sold them for on the fair market!
I have called, called, and called and each time I am told that either an email will be sent to me where I can escalate, I am magically disconnected (3 times), or even once that the status now shows I get the full bill credit! I have been lied to, this whole thing is a scam, and it seems ATTs the instruction to those at the trade-in center is to never let me talk to anyone who can help! This is what I get for being a loyal 20 year customer of ATT? They claim to be all about the customer, but to date ATT appears to have built a response system that is meant to dodge and never give me a response. $2000 of hard earned money is not something I am willing to give up on without ever having someone from ATT address the situation.
What are the options? I can't return the new phones and I can't have my old phones back to use them so:
- ATT to make it right, fix my trade-ins values and issue me the bill credits
- Start an arbitration battle with ATT
- Take my 8 lines to somewhere else and come to the realization I shouldn't be loyal to companies as they are no longer loyal to their customers.
- Stay with ATT and be angry at the company I pay my bill to each month.
If ATT can't pull through with option 1, I am assuming they will not at this point, then my only options are 2-4. I certainly can't pick No. 4 while feeling cheated out of $2000.
Anyone else have my problem, and found a person to contact to get it resolved?