Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Protect your device against loss, theft, damage and get expert technical support. Open Enrollment Ends 3/31/21.
Greenland's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Tue, Aug 25, 2015 10:27 PM

voodoo pricing

I just changed from one plan to a less expensive, but better plan. My monthly fee because of pro ration is $30 more. How can a lower cost plan have a $30 pro ration premium?  I only had four days of pro- ration, but it should have been in my favor.

Responses

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

82.2K Messages

6 years ago

Did you make any other changes?  Upgrade a phone?

Would you explain which plan you changed from?  And I assume you are on mobile Share plan, with how much data?   Are your lines in a 2 year contract to Next, or paid off?

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

I changed from 6 GB to 15 GB of data.  The new plan is suppose to be approximately $30 per month less expensive.  I have two smart phones and one text and speach only.  I am on a legacy plan well before Next was introduced.  I have been with ATT and the premier discount for General Motors for 16 years.  

If I am on a less expensive plan how is it possible that 4 days of proration on the cheaper plan resulted in $30 charge above that which I was billed the last 3 months?  The phone supervisor tried backing into it, but he was apparently hoping that spuing an abundace of numbers would confound me.  The first line advisor could not understand the bill discrepancy.

One of my statistics professors would say that if the numbers don't make sense than it must be determined why not.  That is my current position.  They don't make sense.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

82.2K Messages

6 years ago

The 6 GB plan was $70 per month, the 15 GB plan is $100 a month.  Did you ask for the plan to be applied to the entire month?

Have you looked at your bill details?  

They would show the line items on your bill

data $100

smartphones $40 + $40

reg phone $20

total before tax $200.

Is that about right?  Are phones out of contract?

if so

$15 + $15 + $20 +$100 = $150

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

46.9K Messages

6 years ago

@lizdance40 wrote:

The 6 GB plan was $70 per month, the 15 GB plan is $100 a month.  Did you ask for the plan to be applied to the entire month?

Have you looked at your bill details?  

They would show the line items on your bill

data $100

smartphones $40 + $40

reg phone $20

total before tax $200.

Is that about right?  Are phones out of contract?

if so

$15 + $15 + $20 +$100 = $150

The "dumb" phone with the 15GB plan is $15, not $20, so presuming all phones are getting the out of contract discount, the new plan should be $100 + $15 + $15 + $15 = $145. 

The old plan (again presuming both smartphones got the discount) should have been $70 + $25 + $25 + $20 = $140.

Obviously, no discounts are included here but how exactly was the new plan supposed to be $30 less?

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

82.2K Messages

6 years ago

Thats what I was wondering.  It's a big increase in data, but pretty much a wash in price.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

82.2K Messages

6 years ago

Oh, when they changed the data plan, they may have lost your GM discount.   Check you online account to see if it has been applied.

MicCheck

ACE - Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

6 years ago

@Greenland wrote:

I just changed from one plan to a less expensive, but better plan. My monthly fee because of pro ration is $30 more. How can a lower cost plan have a $30 pro ration premium?  I only had four days of pro- ration, but it should have been in my favor.

In addition to what others have said, something else to consider:

When you change plans, you are actually adding one plan and removing another. This means you'll have two pro-rated amounts, the additional charge for adding the new plan, and then a credit for removing the old plan. 

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

82.2K Messages

6 years ago

If the change was prorated, rather than applied to the entire month.  In which case the $30 increase in data plan for the current month, would be added to the next months billing.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

When I signed up for the 15 GB plan I was told I would have a lower monthly bill.  Was is misled by an overely aggressive phone representative?

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

82.2K Messages

6 years ago

It's almost a break even.  You save $20 on the line fees, but the data plan is $30 more.   The data plan is reduced with the employee discount.

Ive come to the conclusion that they all failed math class, but got an A in brown nosing.

Better to ask here if you want an honest answer.  Smiley Frustrated

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

I was great at math and worked as a statistical analyst for a couple of years.  I still cannot understand why I have a $30 pro-ration upcharge for 4 days.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

82.2K Messages

6 years ago

I don't think it was prorated.  I think they applied the increase (back dated) to the entire month.  This is done if you ask, if you are in danger of, or have already gone over your previous allotment.

Because they bill one month ahead, the increase in data package was billed in the current bill, for next months usage.

I can't stress enough: Look at your bill online.

compare to previous bills.   I agree the math is off, but no one can see your bill on this forum.  

Continuing to speculate without facts is pointless for you.  The bill can be confusing.  If you cover personal information you can post the bill here, like this one...

image.jpg

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

Great answer.  It would be nice if the supervisor on the call was aware of that.  Or at least capable of articulating the reason.    I think he may have had it explained to him at one time, but appently did not have a working knowledge based on his confusion.

I wonder why, if that is correct, why I was charged $15 for a few mb's overage?

Get started...

Ask a new question