AT&T Community Forums
Mlor12

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Thu, Jun 7, 2018 6:56 PM

Closed

Visual Voicemail Charge

I am being charge a fee for visual voicemail, but I have not even signed up for it. One day, that visual voicemail just appeared on my phone and after I complained about it to the technicians online they deleted it from my phone with an update. I know of multiple people have had this done to also. AT&T will not reimburse me or take it out of my bill.  They have been charging me $40.00 a month on my account.

Responses

Fl_retire

ACE - Professor

• 

1.5K Messages

2 years ago

@MarkLeavenworth  I have no problem using visual voicemail while on WIFI since I have WIFI calling setup. Have my email setup to pull new mail down instead of having it being pushed at predetermined intervals or as soon as received by my email program. Can download email whether on cellular or WiFi. 

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Mentor

• 

71 Messages

2 years ago

@lizdance40Anytime there is a problem managing data then that is a waste of the customer's resources. It happens all the time. By the way, ATT recommends turning data on to access VVM and then off to help secure data usage.

Security concerns should be rational and balanced against the risks. Most people have plenty of security on public or private wifi for their needs, especially if they take additional security precautions like using https sites. 

Most people do not need any data. Sure, TMobile is ahead of ATT with respect to data, but if more customers start realizing they don't need it, then the race will suddenly be redirected to other things like wifi installations, U-verse or home servers.

Voicemail is on its way out because it is inconvenient. VVM provided a way to make Voicemail convenient again, but the data management aspect of the marketing of it has pretty much wiped out that advantage. 

Mentor

• 

71 Messages

2 years ago

@Fl_retire Good pointers. Thank you.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

77.8K Messages

2 years ago

@MarkLeavenworth

VVM downloads the VM to your device.  Unlike regular VM where you are listening to a remote recording.  In order to download, it requires data.  That’s how it works.  It isn’t going to work by magic, it needs data.  

Pick your poison, but complaining about both is counter productive.  Either it’s worth the TINY bit of data used, or the time and inconvenience of the older way of listening and pushing buttons.  

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Mentor

• 

71 Messages

2 years ago

The problem is two things. One is the inconvenience and the other is the prevalence of marketing that fails to recognize the inconvenience. The attitude of denying a customer inconvenience is for third world countries. 

BTW, I have already made the recommendation to Apple that a convenience button to access cellular settings be added to the VVM page in order to help make the associated data use management more convenient.

Again, the problem is not the minuscule amount of data used by the VVM. The problem is the risk and uncertainty forced on the customer for the sake of the convenience which essentially removes the benefit for many, if not most customers who actively manage their data use.

MicCheck

ACE - Expert

• 

9K Messages

2 years ago

@MarkLeavenworth wrote:

@lizdance40Anytime there is a problem managing data then that is a waste of the customer's resources. It happens all the time. By the way, ATT recommends turning data on to access VVM and then off to help secure data usage.

Security concerns should be rational and balanced against the risks. Most people have plenty of security on public or private wifi for their needs, especially if they take additional security precautions like using https sites. 

Most people do not need any data. Sure, TMobile is ahead of ATT with respect to data, but if more customers start realizing they don't need it, then the race will suddenly be redirected to other things like wifi installations, U-verse or home servers.

Voicemail is on its way out because it is inconvenient. VVM provided a way to make Voicemail convenient again, but the data management aspect of the marketing of it has pretty much wiped out that advantage. 

What? There's a reason unlimited data plans have become increasingly popular, if not the norm. 

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

2 years ago

@MarkLeavenworth wrote:

Again, the problem is not the minuscule amount of data used by the VVM. The problem is the risk and uncertainty forced on the customer for the sake of the convenience which essentially removes the benefit for many, if not most customers who actively manage their data use.

You can go in your phone and turn off the data for every app you are fearful of, for automatic software/music/etc. downloads and updates. You can set all your video apps to be wifi only and double restrict them.

If you make your smartphone be that dumb, you're not getting your monies worth. If you're going to get the smartphone, either practice managing the data or add some data to your plan. 

When people get their first smartphone and are involving me, I make them get more data or unlimited for the first few months and tell them to use the heck out of it. Then we get a feel for what a maximum of a month would be, then we back the plan down to what they need. It's never as much as they think they need. Obviously  if they want to be streaming video all the time, that's another issue, but basically, you shouldn't be doing that with a limited plan...

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.

Mentor

• 

71 Messages

2 years ago

Most people stop at regular wifi locations daily: home, cafe, school, work, friends house, etc.

What exactly is anyone missing if they wait 5 minutes to get to one of those places? 

Mentor

• 

71 Messages

2 years ago

@MicCheck Most of the people I know who have had any dealings with any carrier over the past decade will tell you that the reason is consumer ignorance combined with aggressive marketing. 

MicCheck

ACE - Expert

• 

9K Messages

2 years ago

@MarkLeavenworth wrote:

Most people stop at regular wifi locations daily: home, cafe, school, work, friends house, etc.

What exactly is anyone missing if they wait 5 minutes to get to one of those places? 

Yesterday, I worked at a client site all day, went to a restaurant after work for a drink, and then to an orchestra rehearsal all evening. None of those places had public WiFi. If I hadn't used cellular data, I wouldn't have had internet access on my phone from when I left the house at 8:30 am until I arrived home at about 10:00 pm. 

Like I said earlier, I'm clearly not alone here, since I have one of the smallest data plans available (8 GB shared between 2 people). 

Mentor

• 

71 Messages

2 years ago

A problem which supports the possibility that marketing for data has been too aggressive, and expansion of wifi has been too weak.

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

2 years ago

@MarkLeavenworth wrote:

You're assuming all those places have configured their network nice and secure...

NOTHING.

But if you're stopping at all those places, whatever you seem to think is sucking up the data in the background is going to do it when you're on WiFi then there isn't much to suck up while on cellular.  

If there is an actual problem with some app, fixing that instead of shutting everything else off will fix that.

Again, turning cellular on to check your voicemail is going to let whatever it is you're worried about run, and possibly going to slow your experience down as anything that wants data is all going to be using it at the same time. 

When I do check my mail on my phone, it's nice for it to already be there instead of waiting for it to download.

If you're an iPhone user, you're also kind of messing with the messages app which expects you to have data. 

• Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

77.8K Messages

2 years ago

@MarkLeavenworth

Cannot agree with your take on data at all.  I work out of my car, some times 16 hours a day.   

The only public Wifi around, and there is plenty, is weak.  Starbucks, McDonalds, Cox, Xfinity, Home Depot and Lowe’s come to mind.  Watching things load is like 2G all over again.   This isn’t Japan, where public Wifi is the norm.   To access those Wifi, I would have to be in the center of town.  That’s not where my work is.   That’s not where I am when I need to send email or respond to a request for care.  

Public Wifi is also not secure.  I would not bank or place online orders over public Wifi.  

Im self employed.  I communicate with clients by email and text.  I email documents.  I use mapping.  They contact me in several ways, including the local social media pages.  I’m often working out of someone else’s home and do not have Wifi access, so much use my data plan.  

You admit it provides value to you for VVM, which cannot work without a source of data.  Personally It’s silly to have to pull over and find a public Wifi to use VVM when my phone and plan is capable of doing it with mobile data.  

Especially when data is cheaper and cheaper all the time.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Mentor

• 

71 Messages

2 years ago

Security is a poor argument for data vs. wifi. There are potential security problems with both and mitigating measures that can be taken for both. I'll grant you that Cellular is generally more secure than some random public wifi, but that difference is not extreme even in that extreme case.

There are people like you who do much better to rely on data rather than wifi and people like me who do much better to rely on wifi rather than data. But for each one of us there are ten who don't know the difference and out of those, nine are steered into data plans, for a rough estimate. 

Old salesmanship used to mean providing the customer the product they need. Newer sales focuses on pressing to raise more capital more quickly for expansion of growing markets. Now both of those have their virtues, but excessively aggressive marketing can cause inefficient distribution of resources and with a longer term detrimental impact. 

Personally, I think that problem has been fairly well balanced across the industry over the years for the most part, but the marketing of VVM brings with it the appearance of that wretched old beast.

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

2 years ago

@MarkLeavenworth wrote:

But for each one of us there are ten who don't know the difference and out of those, nine are steered into data plans, for a rough estimate. 

Old salesmanship used to mean providing the customer the product they need. Newer sales focuses on pressing to raise more capital more quickly for expansion of growing markets. Now both of those have their virtues, but excessively aggressive marketing can cause inefficient distribution of resources and with a longer term detrimental impact. 

I suppose. But I'm not sure what that has to do with YOU not using data.

Get started...

Ask a new question