Available Now: Buy the new iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max from AT&T!
Help for account, billing & more
Babyblueeyez11's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Sat, Jul 15, 2017 1:33 AM

Closed

USING USPS SMARTLABEL TO RETURN PHONE

I returned my unopened phone using the smart label that was provided in the box and followed the instructions exactly as they were given. Now when I try to track my phone it says there is no record of the tracking number I have in their system. I only have 7-10days to return the phone for credit. Please advise what I can do to find this package. Thank you
Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

16.1K Messages

3 y مضت

I'm assuming the barcode on the bottom of the label is the USPS tracking number, since the tracking number on my USPS receipt (after they scanning label)  matched the number on the bottom bar code.

The top bar code number didn't match any number relating to my order that I could see.

I kept copies of them all.

When I shipped it back in the box I put a note with all my details and a copy of the receipt. Inside the actual phone box, I wrapped the phone in another copy of the note and the receipt and I think I had a copy of the mailing label in there too.

To be clear, this was a new phone that wasn't working that I was returning for a new one;  it was NOT a Next Upgrade, Asurion replacement, or warranty repair (I'm pretty sure they dropshipped me a new one before I got the old one back, not 100% certain.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

3 y مضت

Does anyone know what is contained in the Bar code Smartlabel+ information? It seems to me that the bar code is only useful if it can be referenced by both AT&T and Newgistics. I would think that AT&T would take enough interest in tracking the packaged phone to retain the tracking number themselves, but their insistence on placing the burden on the customer defies belief. What action is the customer to take when the package is shown by tracking to be at the PO and then just disappears? To what Newgistics Center was the package being directed? How does AT&T know what is happening? Let me pose this question: if the phone package is received, how does the tracking number identify the sender to issue credit, since there is no sender identification other than the barcode ? Please describe that process. 

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

3 y مضت

I don’t have any idea what information is included. I can tell you that
the Assistant to the CEO that responded to my email had my problem resolved
the day we spoke on the phone. She may be able to provide that information
if you use the contact information provided in my earlier response.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

3 y مضت

Each day more info is uncovered. Seems that the PO is only a pickup point. Newgistics actually makes the pick up, and it can be several days after the drop off. So that is the reason for delays. USPS tracking number is ineffective at tracking the package. AT&T Newgistics Smart Label is used to track the package, but most customers do not know that, and do not know that tracking number. even though the tracking number is the only identification on the package to link it to the sender. So how do they issue the credit to the sender? Simply stated: AT&T doesn't worry about that; they just bill the customer for failing to return the package in 10 days. Just search on "Smart Label" here, and you will see 244 hits with the same problem. These charges add up to a considerable amount of money.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

3 y مضت

Logic says that AT&T should have all of the tracking numbers; at least prudent business conduct  and due diligence would require it. A central database would have the info generated by each label printing and should be searchable by phone customer. 

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

16.1K Messages

3 y مضت

@ronsan wrote:

Just search on "Smart Label" here, and you will see 244 hits with the same problem. These charges add up to a considerable amount of money.

To an individual, it's considerable.

To AT&T, it's more of a rounding error and likely not worth the bad PR and loss of future revenue lost from those customers leaving.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

3 y مضت

But AT&T then puts the customer through grief and a large bill- in my daughter's case $999.00 just before Christmas. Unconsciousable.We shoudn't even need to discuss this. They should ask Newgistics where the package is.
#- Please type your reply above this line -##

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

3 y مضت

This is much more than a rounding error. Refer to USPS PB 22268 for information on Newgistics (ZIP Code 56901 on your label, and PRS (Product Return Service). This shows clearly that the customer is NOT involved in this process in any way other than dropping off their parcel. Newgistics, employed by AT&T, takes over responsibility from there, but AT&T chooses to hold their customer financially liable for Newgistics failures. This is the opposite of due diligence.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

3 y مضت

Gary:

Look on the label you have. Does it have zip 56901 on it? Other than your additions, does the printed label have any of your identification on it, or your return address? In other words, is there anything on the label that you can see will get a credit back to you?

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

16.1K Messages

3 y مضت

@ronsan wrote:

Gary:

Look on the label you have. Does it have zip 56901 on it? Other than your additions, does the printed label have any of your identification on it, or your return address? In other words, is there anything on the label that you can see will get a credit back to you?

It has a 56901, but I don't believe that's a zip (that's Wash. DC and it went to TX), there was no actual destination address on the label as it said 'Smart Label Returns Parcel Return Service'.

I'm assuming the barcode on the bottom of the label is the USPS tracking number, since the tracking number on my USPS receipt (after they scanning label)  matched the number on the bottom bar code.

The top bar code number didn't match any number relating to my order that I could see.

BUT it did have my address as a return address.

I would never ship a return without some ME INFO on the inside, when I shipped it back in the box I put a note with all my details and a copy of the receipt.

Because I'd heard of these issues, I did more: Inside the actual phone box, I wrapped the phone in another copy of the note and the receipt and I think I had a copy of the mailing label in there too.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

3 y مضت

Gary:

If you look at USPS PB 22268 (online) under PRS (Parcel Service Return) pg 4, you will see that Newgistics has a unique zip code 56901which is used as a routing number to scan a message “available for pickup” which Newgistics does on M, W, & Fri. . This allows for the “drop package anywhere” and still funnel the packages to Newgistics centers 

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

16.1K Messages

3 y مضت

@ronsan wrote:

Gary:

If you look at USPS PB 22268 (online) under PRS (Parcel Service Return) pg 4, you will see that Newgistics has a unique zip code 56901which is used as a routing number to scan a message “available for pickup” which 

I understood that it wasn't going to a location based on the geography of the zip code (they have a pattern).

Part of my point was there isn't a physical address mailing address on the outbound portion of the label.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

3 y مضت

56901 is the unique zip for Newgistics
Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

16.1K Messages

3 y مضت

@ronsan wrote:
56901 is the unique zip for Newgistics

Yes, we already discussed that.  

BUT I was saying geographically, as that's how MOST zip codes are NORMALLY mapped out, it wouldn't be in Washington D.C. and Washington D.C. isn't where it went. 

For how zip codes are normally laid out, see https://benfry.com/zipdecode/

• 

4 Messages

3 y مضت

My package

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.