Need help understanding your bill?
grasshopper51's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, September 12th, 2014 8:30 AM

Closed

Upgrade fee for iPhone 6

I am no longer under contract with AT&T so I don't understand why I have to pay $40 to "upgrade" to the iPhone 6. I can just take my business to Verizon or another carrier and not have to pay the $40. Is anyone else bothered by this unnecessary charge?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

10 years ago

Hello everyone,

A one time upgrade fee of $45 is charged when you upgrade with a discount and a two year contract. With AT&T Next the upgrade fee is $15.

Click here for a activation and upgrade fees support page.

Thank you!

Dmitriy

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I hear you. I was about to order and noticed that $40 fee. Cancelled the order. What a joke, I am not under contract either.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

The funny thing is I'm a Verizon retiree and could get a discount on my plan through them but I've been with AT&T for more than 10 years. You would think that loyalty would be rewarded, instead you're expected to pay to continue on with them. Crazy! Frankly, don't see the value in remaining a customer.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

So, let me get this straight.  I've been with AT&T wireless around 10 years, am no longer under contract, and I'm also scheduled to have AT&T cable/internet U Verse installed tomorrow.  

And I'm going to be charged a $40 upgrade fee to keep my service with them????   I'm shopping around and putting my upgrade/installation on hold. 

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

Switch to Verizon, as a new customer you will get an iPhone way cheaper. This new "upgrade" scam is awful, if you pay per month, you pay more than Apple charges for the phone!

Mentor

• 

71 Messages

10 years ago

Where have you folks been?  AT&T and Verizon have been charging this activation fee for years.  Started out at about $20 and has climbed to $40.  Good luck finding a telco in USA that doesn't charge one.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

10 years ago

This guy is saying this like we getting crazy deal with the Iphone but its for same price everywhere but without the upgrade fee. Tomorrow I'm going to Sprint to switch over and also this Iphone trade in program is total garbage and the $40 upgrade fee is really dumn specail for us that been with AT&T for over 10 years. I'm beyond glad I'm not in contract with ATT and I'm getting $100 credit from Spring for each line I switch. 

Mentor

• 

81 Messages

10 years ago

Screen Shot 2014-09-15 at 9.56.30 PM.png

Just make sure you know what your getting yourself into before you go switching to sprint. 

*$36 activation fee per line.

*Yeah, you get a $100 credit for each line that you move to Sprint, but you will not get the credit until the 1st or 2nd bill AFTER your 61st day of moving your numbers over to Sprint. 

1 Attachment

Mentor

• 

36 Messages

10 years ago

Yeah it's pretty silly they gouge people with unnecessary fees but unfortunately Verizon and Sprint also charge $40 and $36 dollar upgrade fees. T-Mobile is the only major carrier out of the 4 of them that doesn't charge any upgrade fees.

Take note if you've been a long time customer you can always try livechatting or calling and asking to get it waived, if you don't get through to anybody the first time try again and don't accept anything less than what you want.

Additionally if you have a Corprate or Union FAN Premier account check your Premier discounts at the Premier Store, as many accouns are entitled to get their upgrade fees waived but AT&T only does it if you ask for that benefit.

https://www.wireless.att.com/business/index.jsp

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

Guys,

ATT is trying to rob you. Look past the $40 fee. They want to charge you an additional $15, $25, or $50 for the plan you already have. I went in to upgrade and they told me this and I asked what are you talking about and kept saying I dont understand and they stood their with their Ipads and asked what don;t you understand. Apparently we all have some savings on our share plans that we cannot have with the 6. Even if you are in the middle of your contract and just upgrading like me which I have a 5 and all I want to do is keep my plan and get the 6 it would cost me $25 more dollars a month. Not gonna do it. If you go with next and keep everything the same you have to pay $35 a month on top of your service charges. This is crap and the big guy trying to rob the little guy. Hey guys just wait it out or just go somewhere else but Att and the apple store wanna bees don't deserve your hard earned dollars or time.

Guys please let me know your read this. Att is infamous for telling you a half truth until you have fully committed and now they got you. Dont fall for their tricks...
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.