Need help understanding your bill?
grasshopper51's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, September 12th, 2014 8:30 AM

Closed

Upgrade fee for iPhone 6

I am no longer under contract with AT&T so I don't understand why I have to pay $40 to "upgrade" to the iPhone 6. I can just take my business to Verizon or another carrier and not have to pay the $40. Is anyone else bothered by this unnecessary charge?

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

9 years ago

@AngryPerson81

The Apple website is wrong.  I have passed the information along, I don't know why it hasn't been fixed yet.   the ATT website is correct.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

It's not wrong. I have a $15 upgrade fee on my bill now after preordering through Apple.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

9 years ago

@ryan_975

I didn't say it wasn't there.  It is, it should NOT be.   It is Apple's error.

I just got off the phone with 1-800-my-apple and they said while both apple and ATT know of the error, they have not been able to fix it yet.  

please call ATTENTION and have them credit the $15 on your bill.

I repeat, again, the charge is wrong, you are entitled to a credit.  Do not wait for ATT to catch it, call and request the credit.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

I called to talk to an AT&T support person and they said the $15.00 upgrade charge IS correct as of August 1, 2015 for Next and BYOD phone changes.   However, they did waive it for me as a "one time courtesy"  since it was such a recent change in their policy.

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

9 years ago

That is absurd..you buy your own device and they charge you an "upgrade" fee that defies logic...

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

Just as I suspected.  How many people will take the time to call ATT over this "upgrade" fee? Seems like a huge money maker to me.

According to this article (http://www.droid-life.com/2015/07/21/att-raising-upgrade-fees-to-45-will-add-15-activation-fee-to-next-and-byod-customers-on-august-1/) the "upgrade" fee is only supposed to be for new lines.  Seems like awful good timing to do it one month before the iPhone release.  Guess they want us to pay for not only monthly service but also the privilege of using our phone on their network.  I love oligopolies!

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

9 years ago

@AngryPerson81

The link keeps saying page not found.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

9 years ago

@ryan_975

WHat the?   Both Apple and ATT are telling me it's a mistake...

I bought my last 3 phones somewhere else (eBay).   If there is a fee for paying full price, then I will continue to buy my phones and move my sim card myself. 

annoying....

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Why does AT&T charge an online upgrade fee of $45 for a new 2 year contract phone, when it is not part of the next/monhtly payment plans? had i purchase a new service or one of the monthly next plans - i would get charged upgrade fee of $45.

Customer has to pay a penalty of $45 of paying upfront; this is like signing up for those olden days mortgage loans, where if you pay in advance, you are penalized

I spent long time with CS on phone, on chat and also spoke to loyalty department. Been with AT&T for 15 years, never had such an experience in the past. Really dissatisfied today

Instead why dont you just include the $45 in the cost of the phone itself, that way, you dont find it difficult to explain th concept of an upgrade fee. and we will see the total cost and not even come nearby of buying a phone

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

So as a former ATT Sales Rep who worked for an actual corporate store let me go ahead and say that ATT has ALWAYS charged an upgrade fee on 2 yr contracts renewals. The purpose of this fee is to simply create additional revenue. The only reason why there is so much confusion around it is because at one point ATT DID automatically waive it for some customers. Depending on your relationship as a customer, certain people got waived upgrade fees. However, all that ended around 2010-2011 when ATT's exclusive contract with Apple ended. Since then it has been an company mission to create more revenue. It's just funny reading some people's comments on here who have NO IDEA what the heck they're talking about. From blaming ATT for the cost of their plan changing because they decided to go upgrade at Target, Walmart or at an Apple Store. Guess what? It was that Target or Walmart employee who messed up your plan, not ATT. It's like asking your plumber to do some electrical work on your house and expect a good outcome. As for the NEXT plan....remember that all ATT Sales Reps are commissioned and have to reach a certain quota every month. Otherwise, they'll have management down their throats. When I left the company, the NEXT plan was just beginning and even then there was a big push for it. I wouldn't be surprised if ATT stopped paying commissions altogether on 2 yr contract upgrades in order to get Reps to push NEXT plans. A NEXT plan is where you buy the phone at full retail price by paying the phone off in monthly payments. ATT will then give you a service discount on your plan if you choose to do this. It is NOT a "lease plan" like others suggest and YES, ATT DOES pay the manufacturer $500-$600 for that smartphone on the wall after a small discount (I've seen the company costs lists myself. The only reason people suggest it's a lease plan is because Sales Reps are told to pitch it as such by telling customers they can come back in as little as a year and upgrade again by trading in their phone for a new shiny one. Of course, you're not obligated to come back and trade in your phone. You could just finish paying it off, but that rarely happens because everyone wants the latest and greatest. As far as getting wrong or misleading information....it's true. During my 5+ years as a Sales Rep I did come across other coworkers who would totally bullsh*t and lie to customers in order to reach their goals. They rarely got in trouble because they knew how to walk that fine line and as long as they produced numbers everything was gravy. My advice as a former Sales Rep....READ EVERYTHING! That upgrade fee, that increase in data charge, that extra charge the Rep tried sneaking in, that mistake the 16 yr old kid did at Walmart, absolutely EVERYTHING is listed in that blue and orange paper called Customer Service Summary. However, you don't sign the paper itself, you sign electronically. The only requirement for the employee helping you is to give it to you. The good Reps will go over it with you and explain every charge. The sneaky or lazy ones will just throw it in the bag with your empty phone box and accessories. You can't sit there and complain about something when you clearly accepted the terms.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.