Need help understanding your bill?
grasshopper51's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, September 12th, 2014 8:30 AM

Closed

Upgrade fee for iPhone 6

I am no longer under contract with AT&T so I don't understand why I have to pay $40 to "upgrade" to the iPhone 6. I can just take my business to Verizon or another carrier and not have to pay the $40. Is anyone else bothered by this unnecessary charge?

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

9 years ago

Transparency is a problem.  

Employees may think that each customer is as well informed as they are, which is a wrong assumption.  They often pay no attention until the next upgrade, which may be 2 years apart.

The number of changes in the past 2 years are too many to count.

Employee training!!!  

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

9 years ago

Not only has the upgrade increased to $45 you no longer get the monthly discount on your plan so for 15 year customers you pay 45 plus an extra 25-40 per month for the line..it is getting out of control

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

9 years ago

@whssoccercoach

The increase in line fee is a loss of either $15 or $25 discount.

All carriers require customers to pay for their phones, one way or another.

Either you upgrade by 2 year contract, Next, or full retail..

Full retail $649 plus sales tax

Next $649
Upgrade fee $15
Sales tax due up front

2 year contract for Mobile Share plans over 10 GBS
Upgrade fee $45
Discount phone price $199
Loss of discount for 24 months $600
- total $844

2 Year contract for Mobile Share plans under 10 GBS
Upgrade fee $45
Discounted phone price $199
Loss of discount for 24 months $360
- total $604

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

9 years ago

I understand what they are doing but why take the discounted lines away after 15 plus years of loyalty and at least the $45 dollar fee as that is a slap in the face on top of taking away the $15 to $25 discounted line..where is the logic in that? I have no problem paying one wy or another for the phone but I should not lose my discount and pay a $45 upgrade fee on top...

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

So let me ask you this...why on earth would ATT try to charge me an "upgrade" fee when I buy a phone outright and bring it to ATT?  I was going to buy a contract free iPhone6s but noticed that I was going to be charged the $15 at checkout so I then changed the carrier from ATT to T-Mobile to see what would happen and, sure enough, no extra fees from T-Mobile.  It is the same phone and will be unlocked so it will work just fine on ATT's network.  Seems like ATT just wants to rip off their customers.  $15 multiplied by the millions of customers buying new iPhones == big bucks for ATT.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

9 years ago

if you buy the new iPhone at full retail you will not pay an upgrade fee.  Just sales tax (per your state laws) and the phone cost.

If you saw a $15 fee, it was because you selected Next installments.

And why are you angry about taking away a discount you didn't have until 2 years ago, and then ONLY because you had a line out of contract.

and upgrade fees are not new, but they did go up $5 for contracts.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

Nope...incorrect.  I am on a Next family plan and own my Galaxy S6 outright.  I just went to Apple's site and tried to order the contract free iPhone6S using my phone number and it is adding a "one-time upgrade fee" of $15.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

9 years ago

I just went through the process and came up with the same WRONG result.  There is no $15 fee.  The Apple website has it wrong.  I will give a heads up to powers that be....

1 Attachment

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

9 years ago

Notice sent.  I will see what happens through other purchase avenues.

Good catch!

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

9 years ago

No $15 fee through ATT preorder.

No $15 fee from Best Buy preorder, but the price is $50 more (? I though Apple fixed the prices?)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.