For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
grasshopper51's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, September 12th, 2014 8:30 AM

Closed

Upgrade fee for iPhone 6

I am no longer under contract with AT&T so I don't understand why I have to pay $40 to "upgrade" to the iPhone 6. I can just take my business to Verizon or another carrier and not have to pay the $40. Is anyone else bothered by this unnecessary charge?

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

6 years ago

@DDeihl wrote:

I have paper work from Sam's saying the activation fee was waived and then a 25.00 upgrade fee was charged on my bill. Got the Note 8 during the Sam's promo where they gave the giftcard, waived the fees and the Samsung gift of charge and card or the camera. When I contacted AT&T about it was told OK about a dozen times as well as I should have known about the charges. 

It sounds like the Sam's employee was sneaky with their words. The activation fee was waived, perhaps, but it was $0, since you weren't activating a new line (I assume). The $25 upgrade fee was rightly charged, and nothing had been mentioned about it. 

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

6 years ago

The problem with the Upgrade Fee is that it is not disclosed at the time of the order.  The only fee that was disclosed was the activation fee. I have filed a complaint with the FCC about the undisclosed fee and I would suggest everyone else do the same.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

@jsavitt

You do not pay both.  Either it’s an upgrade, or a new line activation. I have done BOTH. 

Online order for tablet included $45 activation fee notice.

In store upgrade includes upgrade fee right on your Next installment or sales slip.

Its also on ever sales page on ATT.com.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

6 years ago

I'm happy that it was all disclosed up front for you but if you read enough
of the blogs, AT&T is not in the habit of openly disclosing their upgrade
fee at time of order.

Again, let's let the FCC investigate it.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.