Need help understanding your bill?
Tlew1963's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Wednesday, May 9th, 2018 12:50 AM

Unlock

Why is it so difficult to get someone on the phone that has a half a brain?   I have been waiting hours for two supervisors to call me back.  Was told they would call right back.  Trying to figure out why I can't get my husband's phone unlocked.  Store sold him a Gophone 6 months ago.  We gave a regular plan that is paid each month, but I'm being told he has to have a prepaid plan for 6 months in order for it to be unlocked...what???  Why would we have a prepaid plan when we have a regular plan?   We gave been customers of AT&T for years and I have to deal with this nonsense .  [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

62.2K Messages

5 years ago

Have you actually completed 6 months of service since activating the phone? It should not matter if it is prepaid service or postpaid service as long as you have completed 6 months.

deenalove08

Guru

• 

901 Messages

5 years ago

If you buy a gophone, to get it unlocked, you need that phone active for 6 months. It is policy and all prepaid carriers make you have to have it active for period of time before they will unlock it. 

MicCheck

ACE - Expert

• 

12.7K Messages

5 years ago

@Tlew1963 wrote:

Why is it so difficult to get someone on the phone that has a half a brain?   I have been waiting hours for two supervisors to call me back.  Was told they would call right back.  Trying to figure out why I can't get my husband's phone unlocked.  Store sold him a Gophone 6 months ago.  We gave a regular plan that is paid each month, but I'm being told he has to have a prepaid plan for 6 months in order for it to be unlocked...what???  Why would we have a prepaid plan when we have a regular plan?   We gave been customers of AT&T for years and I have to deal with this nonsense .  [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

To be clear, he activated the phone on your postpaid account, correct?

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

23.5K Messages

5 years ago

@MicCheck wrote:

@Tlew1963 wrote:

To be clear, he activated the phone on your postpaid account, correct?

@MicCheck That is what it looks like.  Sorry @Tlew1963 ATT is not going to unlock that ATT prepaid phone TILL it serves 6 months of PREPAID service.  They are cheap for a reason.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

Yes. Why would the store sell him this if the phone couldn't be unlocked?? It was bought and paid for. It is our prooperty.
MicCheck

ACE - Expert

• 

12.7K Messages

5 years ago

@Tlew1963 wrote:
Yes. Why would the store sell him this if the phone couldn't be unlocked?? It was bought and paid for. It is our prooperty.

Because he wanted to use it on the AT&T network. Why would they mention if it could or couldn't be unlocked? I think it's pretty stupid myself, since he did have AT&T service. If I were you, I'd file a complaint with the FCC and see if the AT&T rep who contacts you will be willing to make an exception. Couldn't hurt. 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

I plan to file a complaint. Thank you.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

I plan to file complaint.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

Yes we have.
GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

23.5K Messages

5 years ago

@sandblaster wrote:

Have you actually completed 6 months of service since activating the phone? It should not matter if it is prepaid service or postpaid service as long as you have completed 6 months.

@sandblaster

actually it does...  I can't unlock the iphone 6 I got my mother in law because it was not on a prepaid account.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.