Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Need help understanding your bill?
SeniorCustomer's profile

• 

2 Messages

Friday, December 30th, 2022 3:05 AM

Unlock fully paid iPhone SE

How do I unlock a fully paid iPhone SE.  I recently retired from a company and had an account with ATT for 10 years.  I transferred the phone and phone # from the company account over to a personal account at ATT.  I cancelled the account after 30 days and tried to unlock my fully paid phone.   Since I did not go for the full 60 days "active" account with ATT, they would not unlock my phone even though I paid for the full 60 days.   They said sorry we will keep your fully paid phone locked until you reactivate your account with an activation fee and finish off the remaining 30 days (already ported out).  I asked them if I could pay off my contract and the response was no. 

Arghhh...

I'm hard of hearing and I rely on my iPhone to communicate with people (hearing aids paired with the phone).  They were not concerned with my predicament.  ATT are tough and uncaring company.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.8K Messages

1 year ago

I can't tell you how many times I have written this...

Unlock your phone while you are still a customer and the phone is still active on your account.

So now you have two problems your phone was once associated with a business (yes, that's a problem). You opened a brand new account with AT&T and didn't keep it long enough to qualify to get your phone unlocked.

There's a good chance AT&T may never agreed to unlock the phone and they have a right to have their unlock conditions met thanks to the FCC.

If you're not using an AT&T mvno, the SIM card won't work and you won't have service. I would recommend you port yourself back to AT&T, or switch your service to anyone of the AT&T mvno's out there which will allow the phone to work even though it is still carrier locked to AT&T

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

1 year ago

The phone clearly met the unlock requirements prior to moving to a different account. Moving it to a different account shouldn’t change that. I suggest you escalate to corporate by filing an FCC or BBB complaint. If you can prove the phone met the requirements to unlock prior to moving to a different account, they should unlock it.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.3K Messages

1 year ago

Who told you the 60 day requirement was the reason? My first guess would be that you haven’t paid the final bill and gone past the next billing date. How long ago did you leave AT&T?

• 

2 Messages

1 year ago

The bill was fully paid for the 60 days and the account balance is $0.00.  They mentioned I needed to have my account "active" for 60 days before they will unlock the phone (believe I have 35 days active).  Their solution is for me to re-activate my account for a fee, continue to make payments until I reach 60 active days before they will unlock my phone.  In the meantime, I will wait till next billing due date.

Thank you for your response!

ACE - Expert

• 

14.3K Messages

1 year ago

Who “mentioned?” How long ago did you leave AT&T?

ACE - Sage

• 

117.8K Messages

1 year ago

If I'm understanding your last post you paid for 2 months service but only used a few days into your second month and then ported  out to a different service provider.

So now you're waiting for the final bill which will come by snail mail.

I have seen other people sign up for AT&T buy a phone fully pay off the phone and quit AT&T and still not be able to get their phone unlocked because they didn't meet the 60-day requirement. You can't even claim to have fully paid off the phone because you didn't buy it your former employer did.

And as I wrote earlier your phone was not purchased by an individual it was purchased by a business. Time and time again we've seen phones that were formerly owned by a business have a really hard time getting unlocked because as far as AT&T is concerned it's always registered to the business.

You are definitely between a rock and the hard place. Try filing an FCC complaint and see if AT&T will just make an exception under the circumstances

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.