Need help understanding your bill?
ScottyJ's profile

Observer

• 

14 Messages

Friday, November 24th, 2023 3:13 PM

Unlinking Account

My son just moved from my plan to T-Mobile and I just got my newest bill that shows I'm getting charged for him for the next month. ATT Chat says to go to Unlink the account but it does not show linked. Any ideas?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

31.8K Messages

3 months ago

@ScottyJ 

That would be correct being responsible for the full billing cycle. This has become standard in the service industry (TV, phone, etc.) in the last few years, not just AT&T.

https://www.att.com/legal/terms.consumerServiceAgreement.html

2.4.5 Your Termination Rights and Ability to Change Wireless Service:

.... If you cancel prior to end of your billing period, your monthly Wireless Service charges are not refunded or prorated.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.1K Messages

3 months ago

Did your son port his phone number out of AT&T to T-Mobile? If he didn't, then his phone number, and the related charges are not removed from your bill and the bill is correct..

If he took a new number with T-Mobile and has not ported his AT&T number you have to call AT&T to cancel service

If he did port his number out after a new billing cycle had started, you would still be billed for the full bill cycle. We always advise people to port out a couple of days before the end of a bill cycle to avoid being charged for service you can't use.

As for that unlink account request, I've never seen it and have no idea what that is

ACE - Expert

• 

31.8K Messages

3 months ago

If your son kept his number (ported it out) then most likely the port completed after the cycle started over (even if his new account was active before then). The bill doesn't prorate, even if the port completed day 1 or 2 of the cycle, you still pay for the entire month.

However, if your son started a new account but didn't port the number at all, then you have to call AT&T cancel the line. They have no idea the phone will no longer be used if someone doesn't tell them.

Provided the port is complete, or you call to cancel the line if it wasn't ported, this should be the last bill it is on. If neither of those situations is what happened then you need to call AT&T to discuss the bill or provide more details about the situation for other experienced customers to provide guidance.

Observer

• 

14 Messages

3 months ago

I did an unlock request and then my son had T-Mobile port his number over to T-Mobile.  This occurred a day or two after the newest billing cycle, so it appears by the responses that we're on the hook for the full billing cycle.  What a load of crap.  I will investigate further but I don't have high hopes.  His phone does not show up on my account anymore so I think I'll be OK going forward.  Thanks, all.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.8K Messages

3 months ago

Did  you read the TOS with regards to billing and cancelling?

ACE - Sage

• 

116.1K Messages

3 months ago

@ScottyJ 

It's universal policy among all US service providers. There is no proration. T-Mobile has the exact same terms that your son just signed up for when he switched to them.   

These are things that should have been investigated, or asked,  before he ported out.

Observer

• 

14 Messages

3 months ago

OK, consider myself informed now.  :)

Whether or not, it's standard practice with all the companies, I still maintain that it's a load of crap. 

ACE - Expert

• 

31.8K Messages

3 months ago

@ScottyJ 

I am not a fan of the new policy. But I can see why the change has been made as it simplifies final billing. No more dealing with any cost/data traffic with refunds, people calling in asking where their refund is, having to wait a couple months before money can be allocated to see if refunded or not. And of course people who cannot or will not understand proration of that final bill so go in circles even though they were billed correctly.

This change in billing model for the different service providers occurred roughly 5 years ago. So this is the way it will be going forward. If you ever port again, just make sure it is not too close to the end of the service month so that you don't get caught again with it processing on day 1 or 2.

ACE - Expert

• 

14K Messages

3 months ago

@Juniper The policy of not prorating wireless service has been in place for years. I know that was the policy when I worked for AT&T, and I left in 2012. 

The update to make the other AT&T service follow the same policy occurred about 5 years ago. 

ACE - Expert

• 

31.8K Messages

3 months ago

@MicCheck 

Sorry wasn't saying wireless was 5 years ago, only that is when it became standard across the board at that time. I guess I could have worded it better.

But the point is though we don't like it, that this is the normal billing regardless of what company you have so none of them (AT&T or otherwise) may be singled out as the "bad guy".

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.