theresegee's profile

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

Sun, Jun 25, 2017 10:57 AM

Unethical business practices

I believe that AT&T practices unethical tactics when dealing with customers on the phone. I believe that terms and charges/fees are purposely not reviewed over the phone and that phone calls are conveniently and purposely disconnected just to get a sale and they assume you will accept the terms - knowing you were told one thing on the phone when in reality it completely differs from your actual charges.

I recently re-bundled to include a mobile account and the terms were not discussed over the phone in entirety. My call with sales was prematurely disconnected and I was switched over to billing, who also failed to review the terms and charges (they said they didn't know why I was calling and I didn't know the questions i was supposed to ask at that time).

I was also given a free tablet (that wasn't actually free) and was not told I would need to have a phone line (and therefore additional charges/fees) for the use of the line (who uses a tablet to make phone calls????). I was also disconnected from two phone calls to customer service when questioning my charges.

Ironically enough at one point an associate told me (when I asked if there were any other or hidden fees I needed to be aware of, that AT&T is required by as to disclose any fees. Yet still, so much about my bill was not discussed with me over the phone. When I ask what my bottom line for my bill is and I am told one figure, I expect that's what it should be.

Has anyone else experienced this? What I have written here is only half of the story. I would like to talk to someone at length about this. These unethical business sales tactics are unacceptable. Now I am locked into a two year contract and if I wasn't (and didn't have so much invested already with the new phone and DirecTV) I would chuck it altogether. I am that disgusted with AT&T.

ACE - Sage

• 

97.4K Messages

5年前

If you check out forums for other carriers you will find posts just like yours.  Seems to be industry standard practice.  Beat to read the website, know the prices, and ask other customers on the public forums what to expect.   For example:

*No carrier prorates final bills.

*All charge activation fees.

*All bill a prorated first month, full current month, due in about 8 weeks, so first bill is about double a normal bill.

*All carriers offer free tablets with 2 year contract.  Many are Number sync compatible and are able to make and receive calls over wifi or cellular.  

Any concerns you want to address with ATT can be sent by private message to @ATTMobilityCare

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

5年前

That makes sense but it's also not quite the point. When I say to a rep, "what will my bottom line be?" And "are there any hidden or extra charges I need to be aware if?" it should be transparent and disclosed. Frequent disconnecting of calls is just too coincidental and purposeful. The bill should have been reviewed with me over the phone when once I agreed to the switch.

Industry standard doesn't mean it's ethical.

ACE - Sage

• 

97.4K Messages

5年前

@theresegee  

I get what you mean.  Many reps are afraid the fees will lose the sale.  They are trained to keep everything positive and happy, happy, happy.  It's dumb.  It's not what people want.  

Customers have even reported reps have said fees can be waived later, when they won't be anymore.  

Dont know about being disconnected.  I usually can't get them off the phone fast enough.

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

5年前

ironically enough, when i called last night 6/24 to cancel the line associated with the tablet and was assured it was and that any and all associated charges and fees would be removed...today i proceeded (as instructed) to take the tablet back to and AT&T store.  they promptly told me that they could not take it.  
i decided to call AGAIN and good thing i did.  the line associated with the tablet was future dated to cancel on 7/17, which is not something i agreed to (why would i??).  it was only until the associate at the store offered to call directly, that the line was cancelled effective immediately.  oh, and guess what - the 4th call today was also mysteriously disconnected.
additionally, during another call today (5th call, now at over 30 minutes duration) i am told there is no record of the waiver of the fees.  imagine that.
how am i supposed to get this resolved?  it's clear AT&T T doesn't care to change their practices or care about their customers or else i wouldn't have to go through this.  any suggestions?

ACE - Sage

• 

97.4K Messages

5年前

So you were returning the tablet before the 14 day return date?  But it had been set to terminate AFTER that date?  Which would guarantee you would get billed the $150 ETF for a tablet you no longer have. 

Scummy.

What fees?   For the new tablet?  They won't get reversed until the credit for tablet show on the bill.  

Send a message to advanced support team by clicking here @ATTMobilityCare   

For billing disputes:  

IF YOU DISPUTE ANY CHARGES ON YOUR BILL, YOU MUST NOTIFY US IN WRITING AT AT&T BILL DISPUTE, 1025 LENOX PARK, ATLANTA, GA 30319 WITHIN 100 DAYS OF THE DATE OF THE BILL OR YOU'LL HAVE WAIVED YOUR RIGHT TO DISPUTE THE BILL AND TO PARTICIPATE IN ANY LEGAL ACTION RAISING SUCH DISPUTE.

And if needed file a complaint with your state consumer protection agency.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4年前

This is probably my 4th feedback complaint and have NEVER gotten a response from anyone at AT&T. Went into one of the authorized dealers to order phones for one of my businesses. As I’m finalizing the purchase I see a sign that says, free iPad with the purchase of two iPhones. So I ask the associate about it and he says it’s a free promotion they are running if you purchase 2 phones. I replied nothings free, there has to be a catch? He replied no, they have an overstock so they run promotions like this is sell more phones and reduce the overstock on iPads. Again I responded there still has to be a catch? He said, well you have to sign up for service but you only have to keep it for 6 months. Well I told him I really don’t need them I already have a surface and don’t have much use for them. He replied, they’re free minus $60 for the service. I said ok I’ll do it but your sure I am able to cancel after 6 months. He yes, just call the 800 number and they can do it, if not come by this location and we’ll cancel it for you. Turns out he lied about all of it, and I ended up paying full price for both iPads even though I bought several phones. So when I went into the location and explained to the lady working what happened. She wasn’t surprised about what he did but said I had to contact the 800 number because there was NOTHING she could do about it. I called the 800 number and they looked into my issue. They verified I have a legit complaint about the location on Jonesboro road in McDonough, Georgia. Yet your company continues to do nothing about the way they treat your customers. I have been a longtime loyal paying customer, that has been dishonestly duked by one of your authorized dealer locations, yet you do nothing about it. Just look at all the one star reviews that location gets and you will see just how bad they treat your customers. AT&T needs to remember you’re never too big to fail and ignoring customers that are being ripped off by one of your locations will come back and hurt you as a company. I will not stop until this situation is handled. Yes my business paid for these devices but it’s the principal behind this that’s infuriating me. Then to add insult to injury your company continues to ignore the issue with unethically business practices at this location. This situation will not go away until you address what happened. The 800 number even sent an email to the district manager over that dealer to address the incident and contact me, about what that associate did and even she hasn’t responded. That is customer no service!!!! 

ACE - Sage

• 

97.4K Messages

4年前

@Sneedling  You do understand an “Authorized retailer” is NOT an ATT store right?   

As for the “catch” you know there will be one because no one can give away $300 > iPads for free with out a catch and it’s always a 2 year service requirement.  The ETF is less than what you can sell them on eBay for, so cancel the lines.  (ETF on tablets is $150 less $4 per month completed). 

So why are you dealing with an Authorized retailer who you don’t trust rather than an actual ATT store?  That would fall under the “fool me twice...” adage.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

4年前

AT&T, Directv, UNETHICAL, steal money from personal bank accounts. NEVER agreed to autopay. NEVER agreed to paperless billing. Requested email, letter, something in writing stating AT&T de-enroll from autopay. NEVER agreed to autopay and this is what AT&T sends:

We want to make sure you're you Hello, Looks like you recently enrolled in paperless billing or changed the email for your account ending in ###. We're serious about your security, so we won't email account info until we're sure you're the one who requested the update. 
Just let us know it was you by verifying your email. It only takes a second!

ACE - Sage

• 

97.4K Messages

4年前

@Susanlong827

And what is wrong with that?  Any time I make a change ATT emails me.  Any.  Little.  Change.  

As it should be.   

I do have paperless and auto pay. Every month I get a text telling me how much will be taken and when.  

How is that so difficult to read and act accordingly if it’s wrong?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

4年前

By far worst business ethics ever and they try to keep you on hold to deter you.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3年前

I have literally this same issue but with Sprint. Made the purchase in december and have been trying to figure out a solution ever since. And they are giving me the run around. It's fraudulent and they know it. I am about to contact the BBB and the FTC regarding this issue and see what can be done. 

MicCheck

ACE - Expert

• 

11.5K Messages

3年前

@blatour91 wrote:

I have literally this same issue but with Sprint. Made the purchase in december and have been trying to figure out a solution ever since. And they are giving me the run around. It's fraudulent and they know it. I am about to contact the BBB and the FTC regarding this issue and see what can be done. 

What issue? What does Sprint have to do with it?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

3年前

Did the same to me and are trying to collect a 220$ cancelation fee on top of over 600$ they basically stole from me even though I made it super clear on the "recorded phone lines that for some reason you can't get access to" that I did not want my bill to go up and instead they just took it out of my account to the point where I had to tell my bank to not give them another dime. At&t, being the huge company they are, is disgusting taking advantage of middle ,low and high class people making it seem like you can trust them with auto pay but instead as soon as you do that they take whatever they want regardless what you say over the phone. I'm making sure me and everyone I know never goes through at&t cell or home services. Their business practices are completely unethical!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

3年前

Did the same to me and are trying to collect a 220$ cancelation fee on top of over 600$ they basically stole from me even though I made it super clear on the "recorded phone lines that for some reason you can't get access to" that I did not want my bill to go up and instead they just took it out of my account and every month for 6 months I had to call and the guaranteed me next month I wouldn't be paying that much but the month later it was the same price and I either paid it or got my service shut off I got to the point where I had to tell my bank to not give them another dime and took care of the bills myself at that point they tried "making it right" by only charging me 65$ and even that bill never happened, being the huge company they are, is disgusting taking advantage of middle ,low and high class people making it seem like you can trust them with auto pay but instead as soon as you do that they take whatever they want regardless what you say over the phone. You figure a company that big wouldn't do things like they do maybe they didn't in the beginning but now it's very clear that all they care about is getting money from you (whether you agree to it or not)and not providing good service or even take care of any situation. They're going to send me a bill for the cancellation fee which went from 180$ to 220 somehow and I'm going to make sure them recorded phone calls get brought to light because what they do to people is completely wrong and makes me sick.  I'm making sure me and everyone I know never goes through at&t cell or home services so they won't have to deal with what I did. Their business practices are completely unethical!

Constructive

Employee

• 

27.9K Messages

3年前

they dont need your permission to raise prices just as you dont need theirs to shop for a better package that suits you.

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.