Need help understanding your bill?
risharpe's profile

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

Sunday, January 10th, 2016 4:22 AM

Unauthorized User

For the last two days, someone was able to add an authorize user to my account.  Two different names.  First day, they upgraded 3 Iphones to my account, and then the second day, two upgrades for Iphones.

The first day, I tried to get ATT to give me access to who or what store the phones were purchased, and they would not release the information.  Then I called Apple and asked them to call me if anything is modified on my account, and Applie stated there's no way they could do that.  So, the next day, my account was changed again.  Two different names I never even heard of that were inserted as authorized users.

Is there a way to contact Apple and put restrictions on my account and is there a way to ensure no one can make any changes without calling me first?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

877.844.5584. Call global fraud and get the security on your account updated. 

Apple Stores are the worst when it comes to unauthorized line additions. I bet this happened at a store in New York (usually always does). Wal-Mart, Target, our authorized resellers and other non-AT&T partners generally always check identification and ensure identity. Apple Stores it seems no photo ID is no problem.

http://stopthecap.com/2015/03/12/apple-stores-accused-of-allowing-crooks-to-buy-smartphones-and-bill-them-to-random-attverizon-customers/

Call fraud at AT&T and they will help get everything sorted out. It's unfourtunate Apple can't get on top of this. 

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

8 years ago

I talked to the Fraud department on Friday when it first occurred, then on Saturday another user was added to my account.  The Fraud department was closed at 7:30 pm on a Saturday when they were suppose to be opened...crazy.  The issue is two days in a row an unknown supposedly authorized user was created two times which allowed them to go to an Apple store and purchase phones.

I knew this had to be a reoccurring problem, yet ATT made it seem like it was my problem, in which made me even more furious.

Thanks for sharing the article.  I'm still concerned how an authorized user was created after the first time without my approval. Which allowed them to go to the Apple store and purchase unauthorized phones with Apple's blessing.

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

8 years ago

Anybody with your password and pass code can make the additions online. The second thing you did (after talking to ATT fraud) was to change those, right?

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

8 years ago

ATT has a solution, only took me talking to the right person Denise A. in the Fraud department this morning to ensure another layer of protection is added.

ATT should make it mandatory for all accounts to be notified right away by text when an authorize user is being added.  This would stop all these illegal purchases in their tracks including at the Apple.  It's crazy, it's not being implemented mandatory, but only as an option.  

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

8 years ago

Actually, just follow the money.  ATT must be making money off of unknowing customers, no need to impliment additional security changes.  

Yet, for those of us who have been affected by someone adding an authorized user who is actually an unauthorized user all ATT had to do was send us a text notification of an authorized user change to avoid a lot of wasted time of getting everything restored and reactivated.  If it wasn't for one out of eight people I spoke to that finally gave me the correct information.

I had to waste two days of someone adding additional authorized users to my account, when it could have been averted months ago, by ATT making it mandatory for text notifications when an authorized user is added.

http://stopthecap.com/2015/03/12/apple-stores-accused-of-allowing-crooks-to-buy-smartphones-and-bill-them-to-random-attverizon-customers/

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Yep-Just went throught the same {edited for word filter evasion}.   Hours on the phone with people including Fraud Department.  got locked out of account-then went in and found another unaauthorized user.

they would have been able to use up my data.  In fact I wonder if this has not been aproblem all along.  Accused kids of hammering through data causing overages.  the Fraud Users Names were [edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

8 years ago

Did you setup automatic text notification of any changes? This should have been setup automatically by ATT when we first got their service.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I cannot believe At&t blocks the name of the fraudsters found on the account. In Ohio there is a weekly newspaper for sale that shows names, photographs and reasons for arrest. And this is before people have their day in court so it is clearly okay to publicly shame people who have been caught red handed. Shame on At&t for protecting the privacy of thieves.

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

You are not allowed to post the names of anyone on the forums, no matter who it is. Phone numbers, IMEIs, other personal information is not allowed on the forum. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Authorized Users

There should be a feature available to "opt-out" of the "authorized user" service.  Anyone who obtains information from your Bill can set themselves up as a authorized user.  This program has major security issues and concerns which includes the potential for identitity theft and major fraud.  Reading through prior post, it appears this is already happening.

By selecting "opt-out", there should be no way anyone could set themselves up as an authorized user.

If the "opt-out" feature is not available I will seriously consider going with another wireless carrier, and may bring this issue to the attention of the Better Business Bureau and the office of the Attorney General.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.