Our Community Forums will be closing on June 27, 2024. Please visit att.com/support for all your support needs.
Need help understanding your bill?
Nnee's profile

3 Messages

Saturday, July 22nd, 2023 1:22 AM

Unauthorized change from a business account to signature account - NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED!

I’ve been an att customer for over 28 years + and aside from an unauthorized change that was “supposedly” fixed with my grandfathered business account in 2015  I’ve had a decent experience with att… until NOW. 

The reason for all this ?

Att customer service.

What began as a good deed ( trying to get att more business ) turned into a situation that smacks of fraud  and in direct violation of federal law -leading me to open a legal case . 

My husband wanted to change service providers. His account would have nothing to do with my account. 

We went online and the military plan was approved . Unfortunately despite the boilerplate language , a waiver of the $35 activation fee when porting a number into this plan kept appearing .
   After trying 3x to remove the $35 fee the system would not allow him to continue. 

We called Att on our landline and explained the issue to the att rep. She was clearly aware  that my husband needed the military plan  and offered to help us .Luckily after 2 hours ,just as matters were coming to a close, I requested that the rep review the terms and costs. 
   That is when she informed us that she was unable to place the military discount on the account ! 
  After speaking to 3 managers we had no choice but to cancel the new account. 
   Unfortunately at that point all our landline cordless phones were out of battery and the last call had to be made on my cell - something I wanted to avoid at all costs but we had no choice as the manager insisted that my husband cancel the account asap. ( he was right to say that) 

The call was outsourced . The rep who answered  our call , without warning ,handed ( no transfer )  the call over to a man who failed to introduce himself.
   The scope of what ensued is so egregious that I wonder how att is still in business. 
  I asked this  man ( who claimed to be a manager )for his name which he provided. He then asked me for my account . I quickly told him that the matter at hand had nothing to do with me or my account .  But he said that he needed to know my account number and that it would not affect my account. Big mistake !
 He informed me that my husband would need to go to a sams club if he wanted the military discount !? 
  I told him that this did not sound legit but he insisted. At that point I reminded him NOT to touch my account. The call ended. 
   Feeling uneasy i immediately went to check my app and saw a change in my account  to a “signature” account ( I know this for a fact as I receive paper bills and never took the offers . Keep in my mind  my account is for work- enterprise and my app had changed .)

Despite the executive office involvement over the past 3 weeks ,my willingness to listen to this particular reps  nonsense and my best efforts all in good faith ,I find myself in the same position.

There are many other detailed  tidbits of info that I will share in  my filed complaint to the courts and that will further incriminate this once beloved company .

Customer loyalty is what success is about . 
And as I said “ no good deed goes unpunished “. 

Accepted Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

24.9K Messages

11 months ago

Something is definitely wrong. AT&T would never suggest you go to a Retail Store to do business. If anything they would suggest you go to a Corporate Store. It sounds like your call somehow went to someone who was not really AT&T but either a reseller or a scam artist. That is, unless you originally did business with Sam's Club. In that case, you did business with a Retail Store and not AT&T. The Retail made the sale and then just passed the info onto AT&T.

As far as the courts go, you are bound to Binding Arbitration once you agree to AT&T services. The same is true for any provider.

I would get all of your paperwork in order and file a complaint with the BBB. That will get forwarded directly to AT&T Corporate and someone from the Office of the President will contact you. They have the authority and resources to look into issues like this. That is as high up in AT&T as you can go.

(edited)

3 Messages

11 months ago

Thanks for your response. Very much appreciated. As I mentioned I immediately contacted the president office. My years of practice in 2 professions enable me to troubleshoot . I assure you that fraud dissolves any type of “binding “ agreement  including arbitration. And yes , my paperwork is always in order. Thank goodness for big things. 
 Let me clarify- it 100% was att as I called directly from my phone. I too was shocked and thankfully I have a record of it along with proof that It was an ATT “manager “ . But this is what outsourcing does…. It was this fool that caused the end issue. My account had nothing to do with the situation at hand .

It’s a shame ATT refuses to hire personnel including at the presidents office, to work thru a simple unrelated situation that  morphed into a fraudulent one that impacted a vital account that requires fast track service .
   Aside from rules and regulations, every country has its own social and cultural social mores and it is not the first time that I have encountered this type of behavior with overseas  outsourcing. But to be fair it started  in the usa with an untrained customer service rep who caused a situation to snowball . 
  ATT will learn the hard way that cheap can be  expensive. Outsourcing and low pay yields customer dissatisfaction.

As a USA Corp they should stand behind their own citizens. Training is imperative and it’s obvious that the turnover at ATT is so high that HR does zero. The company is not doing well and that is public knowledge 

but I digress ,
 “  D” from the executive president office (don’t like to disparage anyone )dragged me along for the past 3 weeks. I have emails that will make the att executive staff take notice . I don’t want to enumerate the incidents that took place over the past few weeks  as it’s an embarrassment to ATT who until July 5,2023 treated me fairly well. I rarely am in touch with them. 

When frontline responders and legal personnel have to waste time on the phone while people are in desperate need of care?I think not  .

I’m a seasoned grandfathered enterprise customer from the days of Cingular . 
  I never gave consent to change my account to a signature and the proof I have  is irrefutable. Specific fan accounts carry serious responsibilities and  are not self serving businesses. We are here to help people in crisis. 

When people depend upon you for health and safety it is frightening that a wireless company doesn’t care. 

Short term memories of COVID have been replaced by greed.  

The matter will need to be addressed by the FCC as the BBB is ineffective in this particular instance .

As I mentioned I was patient and acted in good faith despite the treatment and lack of respect I received . When people lie to your face , something  I find intolerable due to my professions - it hits hard. No excuse. 3 weeks of pure aggravations . 

When the presidents office can’t get a simple customer service right? It’s hopeless.
  Needless to say my husband a front line healthcare worker and vet is staying with Verizon and it appears that I will be taking my business there as well together with our organization . 
   Doubtful the presidents office will ever have  a higher level manager call.  
ATT is no longer a reliable company. 

I hope people read this and realize that if emergency personnel can’t get justice via customer service or the presidents office that they won’t either. 
   Notify the FCC as it’s time for a new (Edited per community guidelines) 

(edited)

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

11 months ago

Oh good lord🤦‍♂️not reading this tirade. 

ACE - Sage

• 

118.3K Messages

11 months ago

Okay there's a couple of things in your original post that don't make sense and they are part of the problem.

Issue 1:

New accounts signing up for a signature discounts including military, veteran, teacher, Dr, nurse, physicians assistant or other first responder, the discounts credits and waivers may take up to three bill cycles and our retroactive.   You cannot remove the $35 activation fee yourself. It would have been credited once your husband's military status was confirmed.   If that is what you were trying to do you should not have tried.

Issue 2:

Going to legal route is only going to draw this out and make it more inconvenient for you. The quicker remedy is to file an FCC or better Business bureau complaint online. It takes a few minutes to fill out the form. The complaint form is forwarded back to AT&T upper Management in the USA and someone will call you. They usually can remedy these situations immediately and will probably toss you some credits for any loss financially and inconvenience of the situation.

As for husband's line...

AT&T active military or veterans, along with a bunch of other special class of citizens receive a 25% discount off there cell phone accounts.   I'd never recommend doing anything online. Your husband should take his information which would include the account number for his current plan, the security pin code, or port pin, and his phone number and go to a corporate store.  He can use that and his military or veterans ID information and port his phone number in and get one of the current plans at 25% off.   Bringing his military or veterans information in person means the discount is applied to his new account immediately rather than taking two or three months and then retroactively applying credits and discounts that he is eligible for.

3 Messages

11 months ago

Thank you Formerlyknownas. 
  Your advice is perfectly correct and sensible but what occurred here is not the average scenario. Keep in mind I’m an att long term customer and am aware of policy etc.

our family,friends and colleagues all utilize online sign ups with zero complications-keep in mind that the covid years also increased online traffic and reduced store visits. Finally time constraints play a huge role as work hours are not 9-5. 

As a matter of fact the rare mishap I had with att always involved direct contact with a rep. 

Next , the ATT boilerplate language did NOT mention anything about removal of the activation fee  after 2 billing cycles- (BYOP) that is why we went back 3x as I thought perhaps we misread it- but I did not and have a screenshot to prove it.

Next , 
 IDME verification  in this situation was fully approved.

Finally I spoke with the executive/ president office who despite seeing the proof that I never consented  to their offer for a signature account kept me spinning for 3 weeks. 
   And yes , normally I would be in full agreement about the fcc complaint and I wish that would help but in this case the executive office rep spent 3 weeks doing nothing and was actually making things worse.
   Unless someone on this forum from Att can get a competent individual from the president’s office to fix this fraudulent situation I will be left with no choice but to open a (Edited per community guidelines) case ( no issues for me hiring an attorney ).

When a long standing client who rarely has an issue with a company suddenly has a complaint it points to  the veracity of the client and to the malfeasance of the corporation. .

My participating in this forum was twofold  1) that someone from ATT would reach out to me and addresses this ridiculous situation.  However thus far the phone call I was promised never came to fruition .
2) in the alternative , the purpose was to alert other customers that fraud is unacceptable and that something can and will be done about it ad it was in the past. 
   And whoever feels it’s a “ triad “ good for you as your time scrolling and responding would be better spent helping others like the 2 members who actually care and try to help ! 

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

27.9K Messages

11 months ago

Unless someone on this forum from Att can get a competent individual from the president’s office to fix this fraudulent situation I will be left with no choice but to open a (Edited per community guidelines) case ( no issues for me hiring an attorney ).

Firstly, this is a CUSTOMER POPULATED message board and NOT a way to contact AT&T directly.  There is a (slim) chance that @ATTHelp will offer a DM but that is not guaranteed.

Next…Please refer to the legally binding TERMS OF SERVICE which explains your Dispute Resolution Options (Sec. 1.3) with great specificity.  You will find all information needed including how to proceed with Binding Arbitration or Small Claims Court.*

*Attorneys charge between $500 & $700 an hour.  Neither Binding Arbitration nor Small Claims Court require legal representation.

(edited)

ACE - Sage

• 

118.3K Messages

11 months ago

Given that your account is a business account and I'm sure you want it restored to rights as soon as possible,  I encourage you to go file another better business or FCC complaint.

Going the legal route is going to be time consuming and meanwhile AT&T might dig in its heels just to make it inconvenient for you. Yeah they'll lose you as a customer but one customer is a drop in the bucket.

Your legal options, are arbitration or small claims. Both of which will be very time-consuming, it may take months before you even get a sit down to discuss the situation.   

I have a lot more faith in the office of the president than I do in ATT help. All you have to do is read some of their (non) responses here and you'll know you're barking up the wrong tree.  

ACE - Expert

• 

24.9K Messages

11 months ago

I agree with @formerlyknownas . Don’t wait for ATTHelp. One of the reasons that the ACE’s exist is to augment the minimal help from ATTHelp based on our experience. ATTHelp really does want to help but they are very limited in what they can do and have limited resources available to them. Filing a BBB or FCC complaint is your best option. Both go directly to AT&T Corporate which will result in a call from the Office of the President. They have the authority and resources to handle issues like these. That’s as high up in AT&T that the customer can go.

There are limited legal avenues you can pursue but the OOP route is probably the best and quickest.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.