Need help understanding your bill?
swernox's profile

Teacher

• 

5 Messages

Tuesday, January 9th, 2018 4:06 PM

Transferring exisitng SIM to new phone

I am a current AT&T wireless customer with an iPhone 5.  I plan to buy an unlocked iPhone 7 Plus from Apple.  If I don't plan to make any change to my existing plan, do I simply transfer the SIM card from the old phone to the new one?  Or are there additional steps I need to take to activate the new phone (or activation fee)?  Thank you.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

Yes, that is all you need to do, move the SIM card. There are no additional fees. However, it is possible you have an old SIM card that does not support advanced calling services such as WiFi calling. The iPhone 7 will let you know that when you put the SIM card in. If it does and you want those advanced services, you will need a new SIM card which you can get at any ATT corporate store for $5.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

What do you do if you are trying to do this and you get a message saying it’s not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server? I’m paying on the phone still that I’m switching from that’s fine I don’t plan to stop payments on it but I want to switch that sim to an iPhone X. The one I’m paying on is damaged and I would rather used my unlocked iPhone X 

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

@Jbrenaman21 That message means your phone is locked. Sorry to say but your “unlocked iPhone X” is not unlocked. If you are getting that message with an ATT SIM card, that means the phone is locked to some other carrier.

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I just got a plan through att. I went to att last night to add a phone for my son. They put a SIM card in the phone I brought and had me pick a phone number for him. However the phone will not work and spectrum is telling me there is no lock on the phone I used for my son to be added to my att account. Since the SIM card was activated can I take it out and put it in another phone if I can’t figure out how to get it to work in the phone I had them put it in?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

3 years ago

@June1989 Yes, you can move the sim to a different phone.

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

It’s not an att phone that it would be moved to. But it should still be okay right? 

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

I have the same question.  Have an iPhone SE and iPhone 5 currently on a 3GB family share plan.  Want to replace with two iPhone 12 minis.  My AT&T store said I would have to sign up for an unlimited plan at $30/mth more.  I said I’m bringing my own “sim-free” iPhone to replace my old phones.  Again, do all I need to do is take the SIM card from my old phones and place in my new ones?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

3 years ago

@Mightydog Yes, that’s all you need to do. However, you probably will need a new SIM card for the one coming from the 5. If your old SIM card does not support HD Voice, you’ll need a replacement. The new phone will let you know because it will display a message about not supporting all features. You definitely need new SIM cards for both if you want 5G but your plan does not get 5G, so no hurry. You do not need to get an unlimited data plan regardless of where you buy the 12’s. The store was wrong. You only need to change plans if you want 5G because your plan does not include 5G access.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.