Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums

Contributor

• 

11 Messages

Fri, Sep 4, 2020 10:31 PM

Trade-In SCAM!!!!!

So, I failed to check the forums before I decided to take advantage of AT&T's current Samsung Galaxy Note20 promotion on new lines or upgrades.

I was supposed to receive $1,000 in trade-in credits at $30 per month per 30 months as long as my phone had a value of at least $60.
Well, today I checked the status of my trade-in and the system shows a trade-in value of $0.00 because my phone according to AT&T had a screen blemish and/or burn-in.&n(Edited per community guidelines)p; THIS IS TOTALY A LIE!!!!!!
My phone was in flawless condition before I sent it in. I even included the case just as an extra precaution.

This is total (Edited per community guidelines). Because without the $1,000 credit there is NO WAY I would have purchase this phone especially now during the pandemic. I'm actually going file a complaint with the BBB. I've been an AT&T customer for over 20 years and this is how they treat me?
What a bunch of thieves, way to go to steal from your fellow citizens.

&n(Edited per community guidelines)p;

Responses

• 

7 Messages

2 months ago

Filed with bbb and the office of the president in Georgia called me today. They informed me they don't handle the trade in disputes. Gave me a no. to call. It was the same number I've been calling. Just another runaround. I guess they got too many complaints. Waist of time filling with bbb. I'm Filling with Small claims I guess. 

• 

7 Messages

2 months ago

Now I was told (quote.) its not the condition you sent the phone in. No matter how well you packed it. It's the condition we received it. How can you prove that.

galaxynoteguy

• 

18 Messages

2 months ago

@jdebold   wow I am sorry to hear that!  I got a call today and my trade's were approved last night and they will follow up with me in a month to see if credits start going through.  My friend's sister also filed with BBB and got her's taken care of too and the employee she worked with said she has handled 1000 of these cases.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

• 

7 Messages

2 months ago

The person that called me from the office of the president was Seveene wingfield she didn't even want to listen to what I had to say. Is that who you talked too? I don't know what I'm doing wrong. 

• 

2 Messages

2 months ago

Update: My Samsung Note 9 with hairline crack on front came back valued at $77.50. I wouldn't of (Edited per community guidelines)d it for that as the screen worked fine, but I'm relieved it is above the $60.00 threshold for Note 20 Promo cut off. Original quote was over 100...Maybe 120 or 150 back in August with choices Selected, but it's a moot point with trade in only needing $60 in value. I'd recommend you take pictures with dates before sending your phone for any trade-in as the quote you get prior, won't be what you receive in the end. That means if your phone is valued right at cutoff prior to sending, odds are they will comeback with it lower and you will be (Edited per community guidelines). Best of luck to all of you still waiting on this flawed and shady process to play through.

(edited)

• 

2 Messages

2 months ago

Is there anything that can be done if we didn't take photos? I assumed I wouldn't need to because I assumed I could trust AT&T. My report says that the screen won't turn on and is cracked. I know for a fact that this is not true, because I was using the phone right up until I reset it to factory settings. It was also free from cracks because I take great pride in the fact that I have never cracked a phone screen. In fact, I updated Twitter from that phone the day I reset the phone as I was trying to get support from Twitter for a lost password (for an account that I no longer have access to because Twitter never responded and that phone was my only access to that account).

I feel very ripped off, because now my Note 8, which the rules of the trade-in says is a phone that is allowed to be traded in, is now worth only $35. This will cost me now $1000 + the cost of my phone (I could have sold it myself for more than that) unless I can convince them that they are either misrepresenting my phone, made a mistake, or something devastating happened in transit.

The phone was in nearly perfect condition besides missing the stylus, which I was told by an AT&T rep wouldn't make a difference for the value.

I'm really nervous because I cannot handle a $1000 bill right now.

Contributor

• 

11 Messages

2 months ago

OK. So I just checked my current bill and it now shows a $30.00 credit for this month and $30.00 for last's.

I guess the squeaky wheels get the oil.

This is what my trade-in status shows up now.

This is after the trade-in value was showing up as $0.00 because their claim of my phone "screen has Minor Burn-in/Brusing"

I hope that guys credit start showing up soon.
This is AT&T's trade-in partner for causing all these confusions.

• 

5 Messages

2 months ago

I'm having the same issue with a Note20 promotion. Traded in a perfect condition Pixel 3 128gb and upon checking on the status of the trade in, it was valued at $45 (lower than the $60 threshold for the promotion) due to "burn-in / bulging screen". Like the OP, I packaged the phone in my own box and bubble wrap because I feared the padded slip they sent me was a joke. Little did I know they were going to (edited as per community guidelines) me ANYWAY!

I have called the trade-in program phone number and filed a complaint about my trade in and specifically noted that a FCC complaint, BBB Complaint, and arbitration are to follow if this is not resolved. I was told "Tier 2 support will contact me within 72 hours".

Sadly, I did not look into the AT&T trade-in program prior to switching to AT&T from Verizon and now regret it 1,000%. There is so many complaints about this very situation, its appalling. Bait and switch appears to be AT&T runs their business. 

Words cannot describe how upset and disappointed I am about switching to AT&T.

(edited)

• 

5 Messages

2 months ago

Going through this now. Same exact scenario. Customer service has gotten nowhere with it. Filed w/BBB earlier. I was perfectly fine with my S9 plus and would have stayed with verizon where I had 0 issues.

• 

1 Message

2 months ago

Going through this as well. Now ATT is saying they can't link this specific promotion to my phone number. Just got off the phone with a representative and she said someone will contact me within 2 weeks. This is frustrating. 

moca123

Contributor

• 

16 Messages

2 months ago

Exactly, this is a SCAM. I bought a new phone using my phone in perfect conditions. I sent my phone with a cover, tempered glass and added extra bubble wrap. The trade-in department said; "screen damage" and now the phone price is below the required price for promo. I spoke multiple times with the trade in department and they will escalate you request and will ask you to wait 24 to 48 hours. They will not contact you. Loyalty department or customer service will not help you with this. I just asking to provide photos of my phone and the package, but they said is not possible. Please do not use the trade-in promo,  AT&T will take you phone and without any evidence will drop the price. I have 6 lines and Directv with this company for many, many years and now they can not help you with a single request to provide photos of my phone. Unfortunately, I need to pay the Note 20, 2 Iphones Xs and a Netgear router. As soon as I pay those equipment I will move to another company. Please do not send your phone for this promo or a similar one.  Thanks

• 

1 Message

2 months ago

Same situation here, traded in 2 iphone 7 and one pixel 2 xl. One iphone was accepted and the other says the iphone activation is not deactivated and received $10.80 for it. Pixel 2 xl was adjusted because if screen not turning in and burn in. All 3 phones were sent in 9/10 condition. I did not take pics/video assuming this would be a straightforward process. So I'm in the hook for $2600? Put in a complaint with BBB per directions from this forum and waiting on a response.

• 

1 Message

a month ago

I am having the same issue. I sent a note 8 in mint condition and I even left the phone case for extra protection. I called and they stated that the screen was shattered which is complete bull. I took video and photos before sending it in which shows the phone in perfect condition. I will be filing a complaint with the BBB if they dont resolve it. ATT is trying to scam customers.

• 

1 Message

a month ago

Guys, my best friend had the same issue. I told her to take pictures and a video showing the note 9 in perfect condition. She even packaged it in a box with bubble wrap because the padded envelope is a joke. 

The trade in company came back with "bad charging port" yet she charged it perfectly fine before sending it in. 

I do believe that you all have a great case for a (Edited per community guidelines) (Edited per community guidelines) and also contact your local TV station. 

ATT will continue to do this (if you Google search, they been doing this for years now) unless this get national attention or they have to pay up due to (Edited per community guidelines)s

(edited)

• 

2 Messages

a month ago

The same thing happened to me. I've posted on my Facebook page and telling everyone to share my warning to Not do the trade in program. Should be called the RIP OFF program. 😡

Get started...

Ask a new question