Available Now: Buy the new iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max from AT&T!
Help for account, billing & more
A

• 

1 Message

Mon, Sep 7, 2020 5:21 PM

Trade In Scam

I was scammed into trading in my iPhone 7 for the iPhone 11 Pro Max.  I checked multiple times online to validate that my phone was eligible, I even have a confirmation email that states my eligibility.  I followed the instructions exactly, my trade in was received and processed, but still remains in that status online. When I called and spoke with a representative, she stated it was not processed because I was on an old plan that it could not be applied to, so she upgraded my plan to a current one and said that the credit should be processed.  Now it's been six months, still no credit, and when I chatted with an agent and a manager today, they both are now telling me that there was a requirement to have an unlimited plan in order to be eligible for the trade in promotion.  Now, I have my confirmation email and the Trade In terms and conditions, and NOWHERE does it state anything about needing to be on an unlimited plan for eligibility.  This is flat out bait and switch, theft, bull**** and I will be filing a case in small claims court and look into switching carriers because this is not the type of company that deserves any business.

Constructive

Employee

• 

29.4K Messages

2 y مضت

ACE - Sage

• 

100.3K Messages

2 y مضت

It sounds like you didn't check all of the requirements for the deal. The trade-in deal for an iPhone 7 toward an iPhone 11 as a current customer would only credit you $300 over the course of 30 months. That's $10 a month

It was required that at the time of purchase you be on one of the current unlimited data plans. The requirements were all published online for anyone to read.  I believe this deal was also an online-only offer. So you really couldn't miss reading the information online unless you're just not into reading.

If you weren't on an eligible plan there is no way you would have received confirmation of this deal.

If you did not meet the requirements, you're not eligible and all you would get would be the straight trade in for the iPhone 7 which was 60 bucks or less

r6baird

Contributor

• 

17 Messages

2 y مضت

Same here. Screen cracked not working on pristine phone. Packed in a box with extra bubble wrap. 

I also had this happen in the past with att internet, not being told I needed to be on unlimited. When a sales rep tells you something, it's not your job to research if they're lying. Sure, buyer beware. But it is very scammy. 

Don't forget the trade in company is HYLA MOBILE. And don't forget FCC for att.

(edited)

Teacher

• 

33 Messages

2 y مضت

Same issue for LOTS of people.  (Edited per community guidelines) (Edited per community guidelines) waiting to happen in my opinion

https://forums.att.com/conversations/wireless-account/tradein-scam/5f52c046c17a0638d8427b6c?page=7

(edited)

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

2 y مضت

ATT has engineered this promotion to scam its customers. This is clear from the tiny slightly padded envelope they send you to trade-in your device. When I say slightly padded, I am being generous. The box that the case I purchased for my new device offers more protection than what they expect me to ship back my pristine device which has a glass back and front in. I urge anyone that has fallen victim to this scam to file a complaint with the BBB & the FCC. The only way a company like this does the right thing, is for it to cost them more to do the wrong thing than to simply do the right thing. I would also suggest to never buy nor trade-in directly with ATT. Buy direct from the device manufacturer, and do the trade in with the device manufacturer. It will be for less than this promotion, but that is not an issue as this promotion will come up short for 90% of the people that sent opted to trad-in with ATT. Next, consider switching cellular providers. And sever all services with ATT. 

(edited)

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.