For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
S

• 

2 Messages

Saturday, September 25th, 2021 5:42 AM

Text Scam, How Do They Know?

A few weeks ago, I paid my wireless bill online. Immediately after I paid it, I get a text message that says "Latest bill processed, thank you for your support" and it was followed by a link. Thinking it was from AT&T, I click the link, fill out the survey, and pay the shipping for a free watch. 

So, I realized it was a scam, but since then, every time I pay my bill I get a similar text message. How do they know when I pay my bill? I don't pay it on my phone, I pay it on my laptop. 

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

Clearly, ATT is not sending these rogue text messages. They aren't doing anything to alert their customers about the widespread problem either, that I'm aware of.  One approach would be to advise their customers that ATT messages will only provide information and refer customers to their ATT account home page online if any action is required, then instruct their customer base to NEVER click on any link provided in a text message.  This foolishness can end up compromising their phone and create a back door for scammers to cause all manner of chaos and crime.   

ACE - Professor

• 

3K Messages

2 years ago

@linkblink This is taken from my monthly bill and there is info on the main page of this forum.

Help protect yourself from fraud
AT&T will never contact you by email, SMS, or recorded call asking for personal information. If you receive such an email, do not reply. Never use the links in questionable emails to determine if the email is valid. Fraudsters can create fake email headers, so the sender may not be real. They also can create realistic forgeries of websites. Do not fill out forms via email, because the data may not be secure. Instead, go directly to the company's website. Ensure a site is secure by checking whether there is an "s" after the http in the address and a lock icon at the bottom of the screen

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

Thank you for sharing this most useful information here.  Publishing a 'phishing updates' newsletter to inform registered customers of the latest scams could help as well. 

(edited)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.