Need help understanding your bill?
emilykgoodman92's profile

3 Messages

Monday, February 26th, 2024 6:26 PM

Switching Phone Number

I apologize in advance if this question has already been asked. Two Plus years ago I got a new phone under AT&T Next. Then a couple of months later I dropped that phone in the toilet by mistake. The phone wouldn't turn on due to water damage and I did not have insurance on the phone. I took the phone to my local AT&T to figure out what my options were. Ultimately the best and cheapest option for me without having to pay for the phone that no longer worked was to open up another line. So I now have 2 lines-- both with AT&T Next. They were able to put the SIM Card that was associated with my original phone number into the new working phone and the SIm card with the new phone number into the phone that does not work. 

I don't need two lines as I am the only one who lives in my household but have been paying off the phone that was dropped in the toilet.  That phone has 4 payments left on it... my question is once I pay off the device of the phone that not work, can I close that account so that I am only paying for one line but keep the phone number that was tied to that account but is now in the phone that works/does not have water damage? 

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

2 months ago

Unfortunately, no. The payment plan for the new phone is associated with the new telephone number, regardless of which phone number is using it. 

You should cancel Next Up. You can't use it on the original line, since you can't send in the damaged phone. You would be able to use it on the new line, but that would require keeping that number active. 

Your best bet might be to take the next 4 months to determine everything tied to the old phone number (especially 2 factor authentication) and cancel the original number when that phone is paid off. It's a hassle, but the savings might be worth it if you plan the number switch accordingly.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.9K Messages

2 months ago

The cheapest way to replace a phone that is not yet paid off is always to buy a phone that you can afford to just pay for. It is never cheaper to add a phone line you don't need just so that you can use installments.

By the way, Google and Samsung and Motorola, all have monthly payment options so that you could buy a phone on installments and it is completely unrelated to your service.  Apple also has a credit program If you get an Apple credit card.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.