Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 3/31. See all protection plans.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Thu, Jan 16, 2020 7:01 AM

Switching / Leaving AT&T

Hi there,

I currently have a contract/plan including two phones that are not paid off. There is the trade-in (if it is in good condition) and a pay-off cost. What do I have to pay to give AT&T the phones back and how do I go about giving the phones back? Or do I simply have to pay them off completely and just cancel my wireless plan? I do not want to upgrade, I plan on leaving all together and making this my last billing cycle.

Responses

kdfederer

ACE - Expert

• 

11.9K Messages

1 month ago

You pay off your phones and cancel your account. The phones are yours to keep or sell once they are paid in full.

Trade in is only valid if you are purchasing a new phone.

This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

34.4K Messages

1 month ago

Just FYI, if you wish to keep your numbers, you need to port your numbers, not cancel the account. Porting the numbers will cancel them on ATT. You do not have to pay off the phones before you port them. If you port first, the remainder owed will be on the final bill but if you need the phones unlocked, they must be paid off first. Also, your final month is not prorated.try to port or cancel two or three days before the end of your bill cycle.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

70.1K Messages

1 month ago

You cannot return the phones. If you pay them off and unlock them they may work on your new chosen carrier. You will need your account number and pin code to take your numbers to a new carrier. Your last bill is not pro-rated, so please make your exit a couple of days before the end of your bill cycle.

🐾 (The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.