Need help understanding your bill?
C

• 

1 Message

Thursday, March 18th, 2021 10:25 PM

Closed

Switch from Prepaid to Postpaid and keep number

Like many others I have horrendous experience with AT&T customer service, as well as in store assistance. A staggering lack of knowledge between departments.

The latest that I have been told from the Corporate store on Overland Ave in Culver City, is that although the switch should be able to be done in store, that they have been having difficulties recently and expect that it will not be possible. But that I am welcome to come and they can try assist me with it.

I have been to 2 stores already, and spent a cumulative 5-6 hours over calls with multiple departments, so I would really rather find out if it's possible before driving to another store.

There is no reason why this should not be possible, so could an AT&T representative please assist me with this?

Many thanks.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

3 years ago

You are right, there is no reason but there are no ATT reps here that can help. This forum is not customer support. No one here has access to your account. It definitely is possible and the only way to move a line from prepaid to postpaid is in store and a corporate store should definitely be able to do that.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

3 years ago

Two stores have been unable to help and a third is stating they're having trouble doing it as well. 

It seems like there is a reason this is not possible. As noted, only corporate stores are able to convert from prepaid to postpaid. Your only option is to keep trying stores or finding another solution. 

I'd recommend porting your number to a different prepaid provider for a month and then porting is back in to AT&T postpaid. 

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

ATT is a(Edited per community guidelines)olutely (Edited per community guidelines). You can't move your prepaid plan over to postpaid unless you visit the state you opened your original number. I've been living in TN for eight years. I signed up with ATT a year ago with a prepaid plan with my 646 number. I then went to switch over to a postpaid. The CORPORATE store said they are not able to do that -- they can only do that for the TN and KY market, that I had to go BACK to NYC to do this. Customer Care on the phone, with whom I spent three hours with going back and forth, finally connected me to a person who literally stonewalled me and said they wouldn't do this over the phone with me. It was incredible. Any articles that say this is possible unless going to back to the region where you opened your original number is complete crap. Just wanted to give a heads up to anyone looking to do the same thing I was trying to do. 

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

2 years ago

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

I had a very similar incident last year as well. I was trying to transfer my plan from prepaid to postpaid. After calling customer service and getting a couple different answers I was eventually told that I needed to go to an actual store (at the height of the pandemic, mind you) and they would be the only ones that could convert my plan from prepaid to postpaid and keep my current phone number. This was odd for numerous reasons, one being that when I initially subscribed to AT&T Prepaid I was able to port my phone number via phone with customer service from my old carrier. I don’t understand why they have the limitations when doing an “in-house” port. 
Anyway, I ended up going to my closest AT&T store and was told that they weren’t able to help me and that I would need to call customer service. But I just….(Edited per community guidelines). Okay, so I went out to my car, sat in the parking lot and called customer service back again while still in the lot. Again, they reiterated that I had to do it in store. I ended up just getting frustrated and driving away. Fast forward to the next day…I drove to another AT&T store to see if maybe the employees at the store from the day before were just (Edited per community guidelines). Welllll…no such luck. When I walked in this location, it was absolutely blazing hot and humid inside (it was August and around 95-100 degrees out) and the front and back doors to the store (located in a strip mall) were propped open with chairs. I noticed that there was a huge portable air conditioner in the middle of the floor that wasn’t turned on. There was only one employee that was working and he was on the phone (with customer service!!) while an elderly gentleman customer sat in a chair in front of him at a desk/computer. I waited for about 10 or 15 minutes (no exaggeration) in the sweltering heat, sweating, until I realized that this guy wasn’t going to greet me or the line of customers that had gathered behind me in line all waiting for him to help them as well. Finally, I had enough of being polite and patient. I waved him down and told him I just needed to ask him one simple question - which was “can you transfer my prepaid account to a postpaid account and keep my number in this store. Freaking guy didn’t even know! He said he had to call customer service to find out 😫😫😫😳😳😳😳. I had it! I almost lost my cool (figuratively and literally - because of the temperature in the store) and had to leave.  The ending to this very long story is that I ended up changing to another postpaid carrier and was able to make that happen with relative ease. The lack of communication, customer service, unprofessionalism of the employees that I had contact with regarding what should be a fairly simple task ended up with AT&T losing a loyal customer. 

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

2 years ago

You can't "port" from AT&T to AT&T. A transfer from postpaid to prepaid can only be done in a corporate store. Whether you were at authorized retailers or just had clueless interactions, there's no way to know. 

In any case, I'm not sure why you felt the need to post this over 6 months later. 

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

Wow…I was sharing a experience with the original poster regarding switching from prepaid to postpaid, not asking a question. I’m not sure why my post elicited such a response.

• 

1 Message

1 year ago

The reason this isn’t possible is do to phone fraud. Opening a post paid account is harder for a fraudster to open than a prepaid as the post paid usually involves a credit pull (soft) and for verification reasons fraudsters have a 50/50 shot. Opening a prepaid on the other hand is very easy so fraudsters would go that route then transfer to post paid allowing them now to access credit. Because of this At&t stopped customers from switching prepaid to postpaid. 

2 months ago

Switch my number prepared to postpaid

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.