Announcements
HBO Max - where HBO meets so much more!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Tue, Feb 6, 2018 2:05 PM

Closed

Suspicious call from att number 800-331-0500

I was called from this number asking for last numbers of ss and pin for my account. I called the number back and it was att. Is this a legit phone call?

Responses

Contributor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I received a call too today from this same number claiming to be AT&T. 

Most utilities (AT&T no exception) are not going to waste time calling you up and playing bill collector. They just cut your service. That gets attention enough. Then YOU will contact them (that is, if you still ever want to use them). Not the other way around. I would hope people are not falling for this.

Thing is, E Mail, social media, and others has not perfect but decent protections as far as spam, why not the cell phone system? Are we going to need adblocker for phone calls soon? Shouldn't being able to spoof another person or organization's ID be patched?

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

75.2K Messages

2 years ago

@ctsturdiv

There are about 2 articles a day in the news on spoofing and robocalls.  At&t, google, Verizon have been working on it for over a year.  Every block put up, the scammers go under, over or around.  

Its in the works, but far from resolved.

https://transition.fcc.gov/cgb/Robocall-Strike-Force-Final-Report.pdf

https://transnexus.com/blog/2017/stop-spoofed-robocalls-with-stir-and-shaken

What is still missing is true caller ID authentication.   

Meanwhile, add Hiya or Call Protect to a smartphone might be helpful.

CNET discussion (unfortunately many are clueless).  https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/how-do-i-stop-annoying-marketing-calls-from-local-numbers/4/

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this subject. While we encourage debates and discussions, we would like it to be carried out in a climate of mutual respect.

An accepted solution has been established for this thread.

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic.

The topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

-MChevy422

Remember to always mark posts that resolved your issue with Accept as Solution. You can even mark multiple posts in a single thread. This will help other users find this information too!  Use the Kudos Button to offer a thumbs-up for good content.