For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
J

• 

2 Messages

Friday, August 14th, 2020 9:30 AM

Stuck abroad during COVID

I’ve been stuck in Sweden since March with four scheduled flights home canceled. I’d like to suspend my wireless plan so that I don’t keep paying for something I’m not using. (Phone has been in Airplane Mode since mid-March.) However, I can’t find any way to suspend service without payments or any way to actually send a message to AT&T to request this. Being abroad, calling is tricky. Any ideas?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

4 years ago

pre or post paid?

postpaid:
Suspending service does not eliminate your bill and does not stop the required auto payments..   At&t might make an exception and allow credits, but its not policy.
You would have to call.  1.314.925.6925   From your AT&T mobile phone this call would be free.  wait times will be long.

if you are a prepaid customer, suspension also does not stop auto payments. Suspension only stops your phone from working, which happens out of north america anyway.  
    Do you would have to call to change your plan to a paper use plan and refill to extend your balance until you return.  1.408.962.1025.  You likely have no service and will not be able to call from your AT&T phone Unless you have wifi calling set up. Wait times will be long and you will be charged long distance to call from another phone.   An alternate solution for prepaid is to contact your bank report the card used to refill lost/stolen, and have your credit or debit card replaced.  This would stop AT&T from being able to charge the accounts, and your account will close on its own.  

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Thanks for the response. I’ve had a regular phone plan with them for eons — since maybe ‘98, so I’m assuming that’s “post-paid”. It’s the calling them that I’m trying to avoid, though someone pointed out that I can do it with a WiFi call rather than Skype (as I had been doing when needing to make a call.) Anyway, I’d hate to cancel my whole service, but I’ve been paying about $100/mo. for the past five months for something I’m not using, and I’ll likely be here in Sweden until the New Year. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

4 years ago

At that price it’s postpaid.  
Did you set up Wifi calling before you left?  If yes, you can call the USA free over a Wifi connection.   You could call The 314 number (free) and might be able to use chat.   If you can login, you could switch to the cheapest plan.  
Suspension won’t save you much.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.