Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 3/31. See all protection plans.

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Sun, Nov 12, 2017 1:29 AM

Scam Promotions

This post is to warn everyone of scams inside of AT&T stores. I was scammed into adding another line in order to get a free phone for my 12 year, an iPhone to be exact! I’m learning now there was no promotion and AT&T is trying to make me pay for the phone. Please beware! 

Responses

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

70.1K Messages

3 years ago

For most of the past year, the BOGO is “integrated “ and requires you have TV service and  add a line for a free phone.  There have been exceptions withstraight add a line BOGO offers.

Do you have TV service?

🐾 (The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Mentor

• 

38 Messages

3 years ago

You are not alone!  I also went in to upgrade my phone and was convinced how great it would be for the BOGO so I too could add my daughter. I followed all the guidelines including adding Directv, and “upgrading” to the unlimited plan. The associate at att and myself went through every aspect of how the bill would change and exactly what it would be. My new bill comes and it’s $130 more than what I was told. After six phone calls of getting passed around, I spent an additional 2 hours on the phone only to be told the att associate wasn’t correct or that I misunderstood.  I returned the “free” iPhone8 to the store and have  put in the request to cancel my service after 8 years.  The direct tv people have called 4 or 5 times trying to retain my business, but ATT has not called once. 

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

70.1K Messages

3 years ago

@Chamilton79 wrote:

You are not alone!  I also went in to upgrade my phone and was convinced how great it would be for the BOGO so I too could add my daughter. I followed all the guidelines including adding Directv, and “upgrading” to the unlimited plan. The associate at att and myself went through every aspect of how the bill would change and exactly what it would be. My new bill comes and it’s $130 more than what I was told. After six phone calls of getting passed around, I spent an additional 2 hours on the phone only to be told the att associate wasn’t correct or that I misunderstood.  I returned the “free” iPhone8 to the store and have  put in the request to cancel my service after 8 years.  The direct tv people have called 4 or 5 times trying to retain my business, but ATT has not called once. 

@Chamilton79

How do you figure?    You increased your data plan, bought 2 new phones on installments.   2 upgrade fees, $25 each.   Installments $32+ each.  And a new line at $20.

credit on the free phone starts in 2 to 3 bills.

lets do the math for the first bill after adding a new line and 2 new phones.

25 + 25 + 32 + 32 + 20 = $134.    

And I didn’t add taxes for the new line, $5 +.  

Sounds like ATT was spot on.

🐾 (The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

According to the salesperson at the time, i met all requirements. I’ve been with direct TV for services years prior to them merging with AT&T. As for your response to the person who was lucky enough to return her phone, Ive had my service since the month of March and there has been no credit applied. Thank you for your thoughts but they don’t apply to my horrible scam! I’m glad you love At&T but they are stiffing me with a phone that was sold as a free deal ! Side note I’ve been a loyal customer for 8 years. 

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

I’m happy you were lucky enough to return the phone. I knew there was a waiting period, therefore I didn’t call but looks like if I would’ve called I would’nt be scammed. They need to crack down on these stores scamming customers or are they told to scam customers. 

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

70.1K Messages

3 years ago

@cahmika wrote:

According to the salesperson at the time, i met all requirements. I’ve been with direct TV for services years prior to them merging with AT&T. As for your response to the person who was lucky enough to return her phone, Ive had my service since the month of March and there has been no credit applied. Thank you for your thoughts but they don’t apply to my horrible scam! I’m glad you love At&T but they are stiffing me with a phone that was sold as a free deal ! Side note I’ve been a loyal customer for 8 years. 

@cahmika

If DirecTV and the wireless account are both in your name, and you bought 2 eligible phones and added a line in March you would qualify.   If you need help getting your credits, please answer the following:

exact date you added the line and bought 2 new phones?

Exactly which phones did you buy?

Have Direct TV.    Yes.

Direct TV and wireless both in your name?

Still looking for the BOGO that started 2/24 and ended 3/31.  

IMG_6492.PNGIMG_6491.PNG

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

34.3K Messages

3 years ago

@cahmika Were you really scammed or the victim of a clueless or incompetent store employee? ATT keeps changing their free phone promotions and we have seen many instances of store employees not keeping up with the changes.  If you would provide the exact details of what and when, @lizdance40 keeps a pretty good record of what promotion was in effect, she can probably tell you if and when that promotion was in effect or if there was some condition not met.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

70.1K Messages

3 years ago

DE375234-739C-43FB-887D-4DA909B25CDB.png

Mentor

• 

38 Messages

3 years ago

Well let’s break down your math...first upgrade fee = $0...one time activation fee $25...installment payment for my iPhone 8plus $0 (I paid cash up front)....installment payment for my daughters phone $26 to begin credit after 3 billing cycles ( which that tidbit of information was left out the day of purchase)...access fee $20 recurring...so my math 

0+25+0+26+20=$71 for 1st month $46 for secondband third month...long term increase $20/month. NOT THE $130 I’m being told will continue long term. 

Oh and let’s not forget they conviently keep leaving off my 22% discount. 

Thanks for for your reply and uneducated math to my personal situation. At&T is feeding off the uneducated and playing the stores against the call center intentionally leaving the customer in between. They know exactly what they are doing and it’s sickening. I DO NOT love Att and believe the reason they have not returned my call is they know I’m right and have no leg to stand on. 

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

70.1K Messages

3 years ago

@Chamilton79  Well that’s where you blew it.  

“ .....installment payment for my iPhone 8plus $0 (I paid cash up front)...”.  

You can pay off the ‘buy one..” after the credits start, but both phones had to be purchased on installments. 

Your 22% discount is now a $25 discount off your TV service, which also starts in 3  months

the unlimited plan only allows military discount which is in big print in the black section “Signature program” on the plan page.

https://www.att.com/plans/unlimited-data-plans.html

Mentor

• 

38 Messages

3 years ago

That’s where I blew it??  You sound just like an ATT employee. First, I paid the phone off at purchase when all changes were being made. Never to be told that would disqualify the promotion. Second, the store employee was using my discount while figuring bill. Third, if all that you just said is accurate...I am a veteran which not one employee has bothered to ask. 

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

70.1K Messages

3 years ago

I’m over 50, they didn’t ask me if I was an AARP member for the discount off my service.    

Its up to you to bring it up.  So you get $25 off the TV and still get 15% off your unlimited data plan.  

Mentor

• 

38 Messages

3 years ago

I brought up everything I knew to bring up and was led to believe it was all spot on. I try and give these “professionals” a little bit of credit that they know what they are doing. When I returned to the store and was told that I shouldn’t have paid for the phone up front, I offered to have the charge reversed and put it on installments. I also asked if we could make a call to Att so we would all be on a call at the same time only to be told no, that it would do no good. The store took back the phone and kindly charged me $45 restocking fee. They are terrible and I’m canceling my service with them

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

2 years ago

My "savings estimator" sheet said I should be paying $231.68 per month. My first bill is for $612.04. Three phone calls so far, and they continue to try to justify this cost. Scam....

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

70.1K Messages

2 years ago

@GrumpyOldMan22

READ THE BILL.

You first bill is for more than one month and includes one time charges.  Read the dates covered by the bill.  Typically it covers 5 to 7 weeks service and is due about 2 to 2.5 months after you started service.