Need help understanding your bill?
Luluna's profile

Tutor

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, August 19th, 2014 3:03 AM

Scam? Call "from AT&T" asking for SS#

I just got a call from a 1-800 number ending in 8804. It was a recorded message saying that my AT&T account had been flagged for security reasons, and to give the last four numbers of the social security of the account holder "after the beep" in order to avoid an interruption in service. It sounded very suspicious to me, so I hung up. It's not legit, is it?

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Just happened to me! Ugh! Just saw these postings;(

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

The same thing just happened to my daughter and I. Her # called her and my # called me. Asked for last four digits of our SSNs. Hung up.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Both my and my husband's phones rang showing our own numbers were calling. When I answered my husband's, the caller identified themselves as calling from AT&T, requesting main person's last 4 of SSN, for security purposes, as the account had been scammed.  Could you please provide info about this?

Expert

• 

19.2K Messages

6 years ago

Never give any information on an incoming call.  The fact they spoofed your number proves this is a scam. The last 4 of your social are the hardest to figure out that's why they wanted the last 4. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Im in the process of switching to At&t so I fell for it!  What do I do now?!

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

6 years ago

sign up for one of the credit sites, credit karma credit sesame they are free and have free credit monitoring. equifax is offering free credit monitoring for a year after their debacle keeping an eye out for any changes is one thing you can do and you can also lock down youe social security number (put a freeze on your credit) so nothing can be done, only downfall to that is you yourself have to jump through many annoying but protective hoops to get a credit card, bur a car etc

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

just happened to us last night at 11:30.  very scary when you have a child that lives out of town and your phone rings at night.  But I guess that is what they want - for you to be confused and just give them what they want.  Not today...

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Hundreds of AT&T wireless customers received calls from themselves today. 

AT&T should notify us if there has been a breach in security. 

Customers have the right to know any and all issues with the Company, as they have our important information in their hands!

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

@Yukivg Getting a call does not indicate any breach at ATT. The scammers have many ways to determine they are calling an ATT wireless number. It is a scam. The only security breach is if you give them the information they ask for. Up until then, all they have is a phone number.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

Well, I am normally the most careful person in the world with this stuff. But for some reason, I was flustered at this call and blurted out my SSN didgits. I didn't enter them on the keypad. Will I be OK since I didn't enter them, or do the robocall sites respond to voice too? Ugh, I will never do this again. But I hope I don't regret this.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.