Uniquely for you. Preorder the new Google Pixel 6.
frankengoebel's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Mon, Nov 5, 2018 2:58 AM

Rep erroneously said iPhone was modified, said to go to Apple to fix

I had just upgraded the main phone on my account to an iPhone 8 Plus and passed the 6 Plus to my father, who had been on a non-data line.

I had to visit a retail location, chose nearby Amsterdam, New York, for the 6 Plus. They issued a new SIM card and in short order, was successful and I then transferred information to that phone. However, the Amsterdam people didn't look at my account deeply enough and never changed the line assigned to the 6 Plus to be on the shared data plan. We didn't realize that was needed because at the time, the WiFi at the store sufficed.

Two weeks later, after repeated tries, I suggested they go back to Amsterdam. The rep there saw that the 6 Plus had a screen with a white border (which I had professionally replaced after breakage). The original glass had a black border, but the white was the only glass available to the repairer, and was very capable and acceptable. Still, when the rep saw that white border, he then declared the phone to have been modified and to see Apple, rather than to make the appropriate changes to the account. I had given the account passcode to my parents, so they could request this change. At no time did the store attempt to contact me for clarification or authorization, they simply refused to make the change.

A day later, using my own phone, from my parents' home (an hour's drive for me) using chat in the AT&T iPhone app, I was able to get the account modified to put the 6 Plus onto a data plan with virtually no effort other than to supply the IMEI and other numbers necessary.

Please educate your retailers that a phone that may appear to have been modified may have not been, and that they need to give things a full look rather than a snap judgement to refuse service.

TROLLEDYOUSO

Guru

• 

561 Messages

3 y ago

Only one problem with your story... your phone WAS modified. You said so yourself. You can call them "professional" if you like, but if they changed the appearance of the device, I think it is very unlikely they are Apple-authorized.

New York is considering a "right to repair" law, but it doesn't have one currently. AT&T has every right to refuse a hacked phone.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

3 y ago

The same office two weeks earlier replaced the original SIM with a new one for my father's use (and it had been in my own use for nearly four total years without issue), so they didn't refuse service at that time. Face it, they failed to properly set up the account when replacing the SIM, which required me to make additional hour-long each way trips to get that corrected. Even the chat representative said that it was an error. My father, being 77, just didn't know what questions to ask. If they were going to refuse that phone, they should have done that instead of replacing the SIM. Nice try.

TROLLEDYOUSO

Guru

• 

561 Messages

3 y ago

Nope. Just because you got away with breaking the rules once doesn't mean you are entitled to break the rules forever.

Even now that you got away with it a second time, they could still enforce the rules in the future.

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.