For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
jtreeves's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Tuesday, December 12th, 2017 1:05 PM

Received automated phone call saying my account had been suspended until I verify it.

I have a post-paid wireless account. I have one phone number and device on the account. I received an automated call this morning at around 0750 that said that my wireless account had been suspended and that the purpose of the call was to verify the account. The machine then asked for the last 4 digits of my SSN. I noted the phone number and hung up on the call. When I called the phone number back, another computer eventually told me that I had to wait until a person came to work at 0800 to answer my question.The phone and number belong to my spouse. I just called her to confirm whether the phone was in service. She answered it and I told her what happened.

Whoever at AT&T decided to do this process has his or her head in a dark place in his or her abdomen. I've been with AT&T for a few years and this is the first time I've experienced this. My bill is paid automatically. What is the reason for this process?!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

ATT does not make calls like that. It was a scam call to get your personal information. The call did not really come from the number you called back. Scammers use a technique called caller id spoofing to make their calls look like they are coming from ATT when they are not. ATT will never call you and request your personal information.

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

6 years ago

Chances are it is a scam and not a real call from AT&T.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

I was able to reach an account representative after 0800 hours. She could find no reason for the call I received. I told her how startling it was to learn that my wife's cell phone service was suspended because there was a need to verify the account. I was able to reach my wife on her phone to see if the line was, in fact, suspended. Happily, there was no interruption to the service. I asked the representative whether there were any equipment charges pending that would affect my transferring my service to another carrier. She provided that amount. I hope she passes my concern up the line through her management chain. I made it clear how startling it was to be told that my service was suspended when it wasn't.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

That was my first impression with the "caller" asked for the last 4 digits
of my SSN. That's when I disconnected the call.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

6 years ago

@jtreeves wrote:

I was able to reach an account representative after 0800 hours. She could find no reason for the call I received. I told her how startling it was to learn that my wife's cell phone service was suspended because there was a need to verify the account. I was able to reach my wife on her phone to see if the line was, in fact, suspended. Happily, there was no interruption to the service. I asked the representative whether there were any equipment charges pending that would affect my transferring my service to another carrier. She provided that amount. I hope she passes my concern up the line through her management chain. I made it clear how startling it was to be told that my service was suspended when it wasn't.

Did you give any information to the rep when you called back? Hopefully, the scammer spoofed AT&T's real number so you called back the real AT&T. 

If I were you, I'd call 800-331-0500 (or 611 from your cell phone) and add or change the PIN to make sure it's not the last four of your social security number. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Gotta love robo dial...my wife got the call.  she thought it was weird that they were calling with her phone number.  She heard the same message you guys were and hung up to call me.  While on the phone I got the same call haha.  I am pretty sure ATT would not call with my own phone number to tell me my account was suspended while I was on the phone.  These script kiddies need more imagination...

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Thanks Sandblaster.  I got a call from this same type of scam today - and it lead me to find your post here.  I agree with others who posted-- It is amazing that one can receive a call portending to be from one's own calling company telling one their service is suspended... If service were suspended how would we be able to receive the call in the first place?  Then of course, the request for one's social ... It is unbelievable some people would give out that information, but then again, not when I hear about it happening to elderly family members.  Those who are born way before the cell phone generation should at least get some precautions explained to them when they sign up to have a cell phone.  It is like driving.  My grandma had to retake the driving test in her 70s.  Rules had changed and so had her abilities.  When one can fall victim to identity theft, I don't see why the same precautions can't be taken to "drive" a cell phone.  

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

A twist --- the automated call I received today showed on caller ID as the main ATT 800 number (800-288-2020) and said I should not use any of my internet devices until some security breach was disposed of.  Instructed me to press 1 to speak to someone and then went dead. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

i got the same call about a security breach on internet from 1-800-228-2020 and don't even have att internet 

service. When I say a don't have any att services they hang up 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

I think it is sad that a company with AT&T's resources cannot secure it's
subscribers' accounts from such spamming efforts. Makes you want to switch
your company to Project Fi (like I did with my former AT&T number).
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.