For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
Htcfan699's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Friday, May 23rd, 2014 3:25 PM

Question about Terminating Contract and upgrading

Hi, if I terminate my 2 year contract with my current smartphone and pay my ETF, can I upgrade to a new 2 year contract on the same day? Or is there a wait period? Oh and will I still have my unlimited data if I terminate my contract?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

10 years ago

@Htcfan699 wrote:
Hi, if I terminate my 2 year contract with my current smartphone and pay my ETF, can I upgrade to a new 2 year contract on the same day? Or is there a wait period? Oh and will I still have my unlimited data if I terminate my contract?

No. Terminating the contract is not a way to speed up your upgrade eligibility. If you terminiate your contract, that means you are terminating service, which also means you lose unlimited data and your phone number unless you port it to another carrier. If you re-establish service anytime within 6 months, your old contract will be re-instated.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

Woah, I've never heard of this..... I thought you could automatically switch? I only have 4 months left on my 2 year contract with my current phone, my ETF is 125$, I can't terminate the contract and pay my ETF and get a new 2 year commitment on a new phone with At&t?

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

10 years ago

@Htcfan699 wrote:
Woah, I've never heard of this..... I thought you could automatically switch? I only have 4 months left on my 2 year contract with my current phone, my ETF is 125$, I can't terminate the contract and pay my ETF and get a new 2 year commitment on a new phone with At&t?

No, canceling the contract and paying the etf is not and has never been a short cut to a upgrade. canceling is canceling, losing the number, a final bill and the pro-rated etf.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

What if I start up a new line with a new number on At&T?

Former Employee

• 

636 Messages

10 years ago

@Htcfan699 wrote:

They you could qualify for a contract/discount on the new number, but that won't void your old contract terms. Meaning you'd be responsible for paying both lines.

-Alex

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

10 years ago

@loganic wrote:

@Htcfan699 wrote:

They you could qualify for a contract/discount on the new number, but that won't void your old contract terms. Meaning you'd be responsible for paying both lines.

-Alex

In addition, the new line will not have unlimited data. Therefore, after the 4 months left on your current contract, you can cancel the original line, but if you keep the new line, it will not have unlimited data.

I think your best bet is just to be patient for the next 4 months.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for the replies, I have one final question, what if I were to cancel a family members line, pay the ETF for them, set up a new line, and get the phone on contract with the new line and then switch Sim Cards? That way they use the new line and I keep my number and unlimited data?

Former Employee

• 

636 Messages

10 years ago

Nope.

Grandfatheried plans & contracts are tied to the line. If that gets cancelled, the contract & and grandfathered services do too.

AT&T doesnt recycle phone numbers for a few months, and like contracts, they are non-transferable.

-Alex

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

10 years ago

@MicCheck wrote:

@loganic wrote:

@Htcfan699 wrote:

-Alex

In addition, the new line will not have unlimited data. Therefore, after the 4 months left on your current contract, you can cancel the original line, but if you keep the new line, it will not have unlimited data.

I think your best bet is just to be patient for the next 4 months.

Plus if that new line is not being added to an existing legacy family talk plan, I'm pretty sure the new line would have to get a mobile share plan. If that is the case, you may find the 2 year contract price actually will cost more for the phone over the 2 years than paying full price via the Next program because of the additional service cost for mobile share when under contract.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

Sorry for not explaining myself clearly, I meant what if I were to cancel my family members line, pay off their ETF, thus ending their service. Then, starting up a new line with a new number, getting the new phone through the new line on contract, and then I swap phones with my family member and switch my sim card with the phone, that way I retain my number and unlimited data and use the new phone and they use my old phone with the new number with the new line. Would that be possible?
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.