AnonymousPerson's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Sat, Apr 8, 2017 12:14 AM

Promotion not honored

So Tuesday I called AT&T 800# to ask a question about a SIM card issue. Guy answers my question then asks if I want to hear about a promotion for "gold standard" customers. I can get an iPad Pro for $50. Ok what's the catch? No catch he says. I'm skeptical but I listen. I pay $10/month to access the AT&T network. And he'll even throw in 2.5 months of that free in the form of a credit on my bill. There's no other fees involved. There's a $40 activation which he said they would waive. How much storage? 128GB. Can I think about it and call back? No it's a phone-only thing. If I called back I wouldn't get the same department. If I'm not happy with any part of the deal I have 14 days to return it. Does it get added to my monthly bill? No has to be paid by credit card today. He even asked me what color I wanted! I couldn't see any reason not to buy it so I did. He explained a little more about the process with very clear instructions on what I needed to do.

Got an email order summary/receipt that says APPLE iPAD PRO $50 (plus tax) explaining I need to accept terms and conditions for device to be shipped. I did everything it said to do. No other device information is given.

I go to an AT&T store regarding the SIM card issue and ask if this promotion is real? I show them the email and they're amazed what a good deal I got. And yes it does appear to be legitimate.

Next email comes saying we received your order for an Apple 32 GB computer. Another email saying Apple 32GB computer has shipped. I'm thinking "Of course. That's the catch." I received it by FedEx on Thursday. A regular 32GB iPad.

So I call the 800# again and explain the situation. She says "take it to an AT&T store and they'll exchange it for you."

Today I get to the store and they refuse to exchange it because it's not an in-store promotion. The best they can offer me is to upgrade it to 128GB if I pay another $150. That's the only promotion they know of. The one I was sent is available as a $99 promotion not $50. They said it's a "tele-sale" and can't exchange it.

I call the 800# yet again. After a 30 minutes of explaining the situation and waiting I get to a supervisor who informs me after several more minutes of arguing that they will not be honoring my promotion and the only resolution they can offer is to give me my money back and I send the iPad back (at my cost).

What do I do next?

ACE - Sage

• 

92K Messages

5 y ago

Return the iPad unless you can stomach the switch.   

If the identity of the sales person is on the email, please send a copy of it with your comments above by message through the forum by clicking here >> @ATTMobilityCare

This was flat out lie, the employee should be dismissed.  

The offer was not legit for so many reasons.  

1.  The iPad Pro has been backordered constantly.  Can't send what they don't have

2.   New devices are never given at a deep discount like that.  

3.   Free tablets are always with a purchase.  i.e. Older iPad were given for $50 when purchasing a new iPhone 7.  Older android tablets with android phone purchase. 

Rule of thumb:  if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.  

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 y ago

Thank you Liz! Much appreciated.

I have messaged them but being a newb I don't know how to attach a copy of the email (doesn't show his identity on it but his notes are apparently on my account).

I was hoping to have gotten a good deal. We've been with AT&T for a very long time (15+ years). Never had one problem that wasn't resolved promptly and courteously. He was very pleasant and friendly. I don't want to see anyone lose their job as I worked in customer service myself for many years and know how hard it is.

Considering I didn't ask for any deals and don't care for being lied to then treated like a scammer by the liars I think it's time to re-think my relationship with AT&T. The bigger they've gotten the less they care.

Anyway many thanks to you for pointing me in the right direction 🙂

ACE - Sage

• 

92K Messages

5 y ago

Hang onto the email.  You can print, photo with a smartphone and send as a picture.  Or they might ask you to forward the email.   Because it's Saturday, you might not get a response till Monday.  

Update when you an answer.  

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 y ago

I got 2 responses. One from crystal one from Oliver. They've since stopped responding to my private messages. Since the 14 day return is coming up I called the 800# to get a return label to get this stupid thing off my account and get my money back. I have one line out of four that's under contract until October. After that I'll be taking my cell phone business elsewhere. I appreciate your help.

I especially like how ATTCares is responding to all the questions but mine. They DON'T care and They LIE. Don't think it can't happen to you too.

ACE - Sage

• 

92K Messages

5 y ago

@AnonymousPerson

Im sad, but not completely surprised.  They cant honor the original, non-legit offer.   I'm sure the person involved has been catching fire for it.  They need to really clamp down on these rogue employees who make stuff up.  I'm starting to think they try to get fired.  

I do find it distressing they didn't have the guts to tell you directly.  

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.